Islamic Radical Takes Hostages in Sydney Cafe | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Islamic Radical Takes Hostages in Sydney Cafe

oriquey

Final Flight
Well...as a Muslim I find the acts of these terrorists disgusting and deplorable. They hurt everyone, Muslim, non-Muslim. The Taliban and their attack on the schoolchildren recently show it is more of a political agenda rather than a religious one. They don't really care who they hurt. Their actions offend me more than any cartoon ever will. I believe terror has no religion nor ethnicity and that human beings are capable of great damage regardless of what doctrine they subscribe to. ISIS, Taliban...whatever. Not in my name. I question whether or not these people are reading the same book as I am. All I've been taught since young is to love and not hurt other beings. I cannot deny that there are no passages relating to warfar in the Quran. But these passages relating to warfare etc have to be read in context. And these terrorists take them out of context and use them for their own agendas. For those interested, Mehdi Hasan's argument during the Oxford Debate, while not the best, gives a perspective on this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjRI2AsF3h0

I do hope that mainstream media would stop lumping us all together and saying Muslims are not talking against this. We are very vocal about this, but hey, none are featured on mainstream media. and none of the attacks on Muslims post-Paris attacks are featured in the news too. And Rupert Murdoch telling Muslims to take responsibility and apologise just takes the cake.

Personally, I cannot comment on how things are in France. I've lived in the UK when I was younger and things were pretty much okay. I am currently living in Australia as an international student. But boy, I've been called many colourful names here.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
A couple of days ago I was reading an article by someone in a Muslim activist group complaining because during the seige, one of the gunman's demands was for an ISIS flag. And the police asked for the group's help to find one. They found several (that should be alarming in itself!) but no-one was prepared to part with it. The woman from the group is now complaining because the police carried out raids on some of the houses that they contacted. How is this a bad thing?

When you have leaders and clerics qualifying their "we think this is terrible BUT the Charlie Hebdo people deserved to die because the cartoons are offensive", you're going to get people knowing that's not really condemning the attacks. When you have clerics excusing gang-rapists because it wasn't their fault that "Australian girls dress like meat", it's going to make people cross with the religion as a whole. When you hear of men dressed as women in the cover-all robe detonating devices in suicide attacks - yeah, it makes you bloody nervous!

A lot of people talk about the Cronulla riots; a lot of people ignore what started them. That two lifeguards stepped in to stop a group of six or seven Muslim men who were harassing a group of girls in bikinis on the beach, and were set upon. Seven against two. If I want to wear a bikini to the beach in my own country, should I not be able to?

Islam, of course, is not the only religion with issues. Let's not even start on the Catholic Church and their support of paedophiles and victim-blaming attitudes. Or their stance on abortion. Or generally most churches' stands on women and gay rights. But at the moment Islam is the religion in the forefront of the news for all the wrong reasons. Of course the media refers to people collectively. They always do. Let's not even get started on "Canberra", hmm?

When I was at university, there were plenty of international students, and I was always happy to make them feel welcome. But let me tell you - you walk across campus in the middle of the day in a tank top and shorts, and get sneered at by a large group of men sitting behind the "Islamic Support Group" table, and it's intimidating, knowing what their religion says of me because I dress according to the temperature outside. It was one of those moments that made me stop and ask, hang on, am I in the middle of Australia?

oriquey

Final Flight
A couple of days ago I was reading an article by someone in a Muslim activist group complaining because during the seige, one of the gunman's demands was for an ISIS flag. And the police asked for the group's help to find one. They found several (that should be alarming in itself!) but no-one was prepared to part with it. The woman from the group is now complaining because the police carried out raids on some of the houses that they contacted. How is this a bad thing?

When you have leaders and clerics qualifying their "we think this is terrible BUT the Charlie Hebdo people deserved to die because the cartoons are offensive", you're going to get people knowing that's not really condemning the attacks. When you have clerics excusing gang-rapists because it wasn't their fault that "Australian girls dress like meat", it's going to make people cross with the religion as a whole. When you hear of men dressed as women in the cover-all robe detonating devices in suicide attacks - yeah, it makes you bloody nervous! <

A lot of people talk about the Cronulla riots; a lot of people ignore what started them. That two lifeguards stepped in to stop a group of six or seven Muslim men who were harassing a group of girls in bikinis on the beach, and were set upon. Seven against two. If I want to wear a bikini to the beach in my own country, should I not be able to?

Islam, of course, is not the only religion with issues. Let's not even start on the Catholic Church and their support of paedophiles and victim-blaming attitudes. Or their stance on abortion. Or generally most churches' stands on women and gay rights. But at the moment Islam is the religion in the forefront of the news for all the wrong reasons. Of course the media refers to people collectively. They always do. Let's not even get started on "Canberra", hmm?

When I was at university, there were plenty of international students, and I was always happy to make them feel welcome. But let me tell you - you walk across campus in the middle of the day in a tank top and shorts, and get sneered at by a large group of men sitting behind the "Islamic Support Group" table, and it's intimidating, knowing what their religion says of me because I dress according to the temperature outside. It was one of those moments that made me stop and ask, hang on, am I in the middle of Australia?

Dear Karne,

thank you very much for your input. It has been a revealing read.

I don't have any qualms about how the Australian police are handling the situation. I do believe it is necessary for national security and if there is a connection between the attacker and some people in the community then it is a very justified decision to raid those houses. And I think the law on the Burqa is also justified because of identity and security reasons as well. From what I've read the legislation on the Burqa in Australia is limited to certain contexts; driving and wasn't it in parliament? Its not like Australia is banning the hijab/burqa altogether. There are not a lot of women with burqa on in my country (and not all Muslim women wear the hijab for that matter), so whenever I meet two people with the burqa on I do get confused on who is who.

And unfortunately, there are some sick clerics and religious figures who seem to justify the attacks on the Charlie Hebdo people. But, there are people who do not excuse the attacks but they are rarely featured in any news outlet. Some of the arguments I have read online are about the responses to the incident itself and the notion of how free speech somehow differs from context to context.

Sometimes, I'm more wary of these so called clerics and people who think they are 'defenders of the faith' than I am of people who want to rip my hijab off. I've had arguments with a few Muslim men about a lot of things, particularly women's rights. The things they tell me and what I have studied about women in Islam do not seem to correlate. When I cite them religious sources to argue against them, they just brush me off. I've been labelled a man-hater because of these arguments. :laugh2:

The bottom line is, some Muslims are not helping themselves with their behaviour. I'll be the first to admit that. There are many things to address on so many different levels. I guess it will probably take a generation. And with ISIS, the Taliban and Al-Qaeda hijacking the religion and people being brainwashed to join them, it will be such an uphill task.

From what you've told me about your experience at uni, those Muslim men are disgusting. Judging and objectifying people's bodies is forever disgusting shouldnt be tolerated. Even with my hijab on, it will never be long enough covered enough for some. I tell them to lower their gazes most of the time and shut up. I dont know much about the Cronulla riots, but people have told me that its more of a 'race' thing. I will look it up and read more about it.

Although time spent in Australia has been a wonderful one, I still get random strangers coming up to me and calling me a dirty Muslim, terrorist etc. I try not to think much about it whenever I go out.

I dont think anyone should be judged by their religion, gender, sexuality, ethnicity, culture, or ideology.

p.s I won't apologise like Rupert Murdoch wants me to.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, nobody with a brain listens to Rupert Murdoch, so don't worry. You have nothing to apologise for. I apologise for you seeing some of the nasties in my country. Those bogans will pick on anybody just a little different to them - and that includes white Australians too. (Been told to shove off back into the kitchen at a motor race. We are not talking about people with much in the way of brain power here.) :)

So whenever someone calls you that, just tell yourself, if it helps, that you are so much smarter than them. :)

oriquey

Final Flight
Thank you for your encouragement :) I have a bit more time here in Australia before I head back home. I will try to ignore negative people and spend as much time in positivity and amongst great people. I'm planning to use my time nicely this summer. (40C or not) ;) Australia has taught me a lot of good things. Care for the environment, the pleasures of vegemite (my other friends would not come near it), the beach culture and the importance of sunscreen among other things.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Oooo Vegemite...I have a love/hate relationship with that. Sometimes I suddenly want to eat some on toast and then I remember all the times I've actually eaten it and how I hated it. Do you like Licorice?

oriquey

Final Flight
Oooo Vegemite...I have a love/hate relationship with that. Sometimes I suddenly want to eat some on toast and then I remember all the times I've actually eaten it and how I hated it. Do you like Licorice?

My friend said to me never to eat vegemite without butter or cheese :) But I do get the hate Vegemite get from some. It's very polarising. Funnily, I love vegemite but I cannot conjure the same love for Marmite in the UK. Yuck. Isnt it supposed to be the same thing? For Vegemite, my roomie just shoved toast with vegemite and butter in my mouth and I was hooked. I've even tried vegemite macarons, too and loved them. Oooh... I've never tried licorice. How does it taste like?

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
My friend said to me never to eat vegemite without butter or cheese :) But I do get the hate Vegemite get from some. It's very polarising. Funnily, I love vegemite but I cannot conjure the same love for Marmite in the UK. Yuck. Isnt it supposed to be the same thing? Oooh... I've never tried licorice. How does it taste like?

It's a long thin candy, chewy. Tastes a bit like molasses. I had it first from some Australian friends. I liked it.
Sorry, :hijacked::biggrin:

Last edited:

oriquey

Final Flight
It's a long thin candy, chewy. Tastes a bit like molasses. I had it first from some Australian friends. I liked it.

Hmm..I will try to get some and try them. It sounds like something that I will like :)

It's okay. I'll PM you and let you know how I like it when I've tried it :)

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thank you for your encouragement :) I have a bit more time here in Australia before I head back home. I will try to ignore negative people and spend as much time in positivity and amongst great people. I'm planning to use my time nicely this summer. (40C or not) ;) Australia has taught me a lot of good things. Care for the environment, the pleasures of vegemite (my other friends would not come near it), the beach culture and the importance of sunscreen among other things.

Oh, are you going to do some sightseeing before you go? There's so much to see here!

I am glad you liked the Vegemite! Lots of people from other countries make the mistake of really lathering it on their toast and um, you really can't do that with it. I remember "tiger toast" when I was a kid - vegemite spread all over a piece of bread, then you cut cheese into long, thin strips and lay them on top with gaps between, and put it under the grill. Yummy!

And sunscreen is very important :)

Sorry, :hijacked::biggrin:

Is it weird that I don't like liquorice that much, but I love vegemite? I also don't like the black cats found in Allen's Party Mix.

I think weird Australian foods is a better subject anyway. Has anyone else here tried kangaroo?

oriquey

Final Flight
Oh, are you going to do some sightseeing before you go? There's so much to see here!

I am glad you liked the Vegemite! Lots of people from other countries make the mistake of really lathering it on their toast and um, you really can't do that with it. I remember "tiger toast" when I was a kid - vegemite spread all over a piece of bread, then you cut cheese into long, thin strips and lay them on top with gaps between, and put it under the grill. Yummy!

And sunscreen is very important :)

Is it weird that I don't like liquorice that much, but I love vegemite? I also don't like the black cats found in Allen's Party Mix.

I think weird Australian foods is a better subject anyway. Has anyone else here tried kangaroo?

Yup. I'm definitely going to travel around the country and visit other cities. I heard a lot of good things about Melbourne and the Gold Coast. And I will probably visit Tassie, too:) Any suggestions? As for vegemite, I saw a video on Buzzfeed and when I saw how they ate vegemite I was like, 'NO'. (T,T) Your description of "tiger toast" is making me hungry:). I'm going to make some for dinner later.

Sadly, I'm vegetarian so I can't try kangaroo. But my friends who have, said it was gamey? Another Australian fav of mine is Tim Tams. I'm gonna buy in bulk and bring them back home. The many types of tim tams in Australia are gifts to the world.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yup. I'm definitely going to travel around the country and visit other cities. I heard a lot of good things about Melbourne and Gold Coast. And I will probably visit Tassie, too:) Any suggestions? As for vegemite, I saw a video on Buzzfeed and when I saw how they ate vegemite I was like, 'NO'. (T,T) Your description of "tiger toast" is making me hungry:). I'm going to make some for dinner later.

Sadly, I'm vegetarian so I can't try kangaroo. But my friends who have, said it was gamey? Another Australian fav of mine is Tim Tams. I'm gonna buy in bulk and bring them back home. The many types of tim tams in Australia are gifts to the world.

Ohhhh, you're missing out with kangaroo. Extremely rich meat - you certainly couldn't eat it in big slabs - but delicious.

Where are you based out of at the moment? That will help me gauge what I should recommend :) Gold Coast is very touristy as I understand but should be okay outside of the summer months. Avoid November for GC because that's schoolies, yikes. I love Melbourne. The Icehouse is an awesome rink. ;) In March there is the F1, so that might not be the best time to go, unless you want to see the race.

Has anyone fed you fairy bread yet? :D although I did not realise party pies did not seem to exist outside Australia until recently, either.

oriquey

Final Flight
Ohhhh, you're missing out with kangaroo. Extremely rich meat - you certainly couldn't eat it in big slabs - but delicious.

Where are you based out of at the moment? That will help me gauge what I should recommend :) Gold Coast is very touristy as I understand but should be okay outside of the summer months. Avoid November for GC because that's schoolies, yikes. I love Melbourne. The Icehouse is an awesome rink. ;) In March there is the F1, so that might not be the best time to go, unless you want to see the race.

Has anyone fed you fairy bread yet? :D although I did not realise party pies did not seem to exist outside Australia until recently, either.

I will be sure to recommend kangaroo to my meat-eating friends who have yet to try it :) I've not tried fairy bread nor party pies, either. I should be more adventurous with my eating and try these things before I leave :D

I'm currently living in Adelaide. I will take note and avoid GC when the schoolies are on. I've heard that there's lots and lots to do in Melbourne and since I'm also a bibliophile I'm planning to visit all the good bookshops in the city :)

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, Adelaide! I've never been there, but I've heard it's so pretty. And recommended as one of the cheaper cities to live :laugh:

I should warn you party pies have meat in them (or something resembling meat) - sorry, I zoned out for a moment when recommending foods!

If you have the time/money, maybe you could start in Tasmania and work your way up the major cities of the east coast? Tas to Melbourne (you could go by ship!), Melbourne to Canberra, Canberra to Sydney, Sydney to Brisbane. Of course it would depend on the time of year :)

oriquey

Final Flight
Oh, Adelaide! I've never been there, but I've heard it's so pretty. And recommended as one of the cheaper cities to live :laugh:

I should warn you party pies have meat in them (or something resembling meat) - sorry, I zoned out for a moment when recommending foods!

If you have the time/money, maybe you could start in Tasmania and work your way up the major cities of the east coast? Tas to Melbourne (you could go by ship!), Melbourne to Canberra, Canberra to Sydney, Sydney to Brisbane. Of course it would depend on the time of year :)

Adelaide is very small. You can go about the city and visit everything in practically one day. There are lots of festivals coming up in the summer though. The Fringe and the Adelaide Festival are going to start very soon. There is also much to do outside the city :)

I think I'd like to do as you have suggested. It sounds like a good way to travel and see the cities in a systematic way :D I will have to do a bit of research on when is the best time to go off on my adventure :) Thanks for the suggestion.

I will be careful of the party pies and see if there are any vegetarian options available. Or else, I will try to make my own :D

katia

On the Ice
@ oriquey
Well...as a Muslim I find the acts of these terrorists disgusting and deplorable. They hurt everyone, Muslim, non-Muslim. The Taliban and their attack on the schoolchildren recently show it is more of a political agenda rather than a religious one. They don't really care who they hurt.
I understand. It is so sad that there were so many other terrorists acts, not only by Taliban but also by Boko Haram (http://abcnews.go.com/International...ko-haram-leader-claims-baga-massacre-28365750) and Islamic State (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Islamist-controlled-Mosul.html#ixzz3PK0RuHq0). I am sure that, as you said, they read Quran wrongly.
And it is so bad that there is some problem now in Australia, like in European countries, with the muslim terrorists.
I (https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/26035713/call-for-muslim-army-in-australia/ ).

I am glad that you enjoy your stay in Australia, although I though that Australians are very nice people and I can hardly imagine that anyone would attack you and try to rip you hijab off, like you say they wanted to? I mean, I hope you notified police.

For those interested, Mehdi Hasan's argument during the Oxford Debate, while not the best, gives a perspective on this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjRI2AsF3h0
Thank you for the video. It was very interesting and I found the link to the whole discussion, which is thought-provoking and worth to listen to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tNRtyYFf24

This Mehdi Hassan, isn't he the same guy who said that "non-muslims live like an animals"? and that they are "people of no intelligence" ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7udbYtSMDns
So strange.