NNN TO COMPETE AT ORANGE CO. COMP! | Golden Skate

NNN TO COMPETE AT ORANGE CO. COMP!

E

egskater0003

NNN TO COMPETE AT ORANGE CO. COMP!

I saw this at MKF and really wanted to share it with everyone. Here are the links that say NNN is going to compete this weekend at a local club competition. I'm hoping she'll stay healthy enough to make it to regionals and sectionals this year. It's just nice to see her getting back into skating, even if this is just a warm up for her to get the back into competions.:D :D :D :D

<a href="http://www.ocfsc.iwarp.com/" target="top">www.ocfsc.iwarp.com/</a>

<a href="http://www.swpskating.com/" target="top">www.swpskating.com/</a>

S

stilldizzy7

NNN

Wow, Naomi has really grown up. She also looks much bigger than I remember. I remember her as being a skinny little kid.

Dizzy

N

nysk8r

Re: NNN

She may have gotten taller but that adorable face remains. :)

I'm so glad to hear that she's competing again... I really hope I get to see her in a televised competition, or one of those cheesy skating shows. :p

C

CartDi

DUDE, what the heck is that? LOL. The thing she's wearing, I mean, Haha.... |I :rollin:

J

Joesitz

She looks so grown up. Not the little cutie anymore but a lovely young lady! The photo of her split jump is indeed the classic ballet grand jete. Few skaters can do that.

<strong>All you Orange County People</strong> I hope you are going to write a report on Naomi. I am not interested if she wins a medal or not and I don't want to read any comparison to Sasha (who is not competing anyway).

<span style="text-decoration:underline">Things of interest would be</span>:

Does she still have that fluid flow over the ice?

Is she still one with the music?

Are the basics still there?

Are her extensions up there with the <em>Cirque du Soleil</em> crowd?

Are the spins still dynamic?

Are the jumps (whatever she is able to do) landing solidly?

In your opinion, is she ready for US Nats?

Joe

P

Princess Leppard 625

Oh my God, did you see the height on that spiral and the edge????? I've never seen her skate, but that is spectacular.

Now why can't a certain other skater do that? (Not naming as Joe wishes no comparisons :p )

Cheers,

Laura :)

E

egskater0003

Naomi definately has grown up, but those pictures at the links above are acutally dated 2001 and it's 2003 now, so who knows how much she's changed since those pictures were taken. But it doesn't matter anyway, just really excited to hear that she's healthy enough to skate again. She just had so much charisma when she skated, can't wait to see her skating again! :D :D :D

J

Joesitz

Thanks Bunghodog for the link.

The reporter in the link seems as though she is not too familiar with the technical side of skating. She had a friend to tell her what Naomi was doing. She does, however, have an appreciation of the artistic side and she clearly likes Naomi.

I hope there will be other reports on NNN's skate. I am nervous about that hip (although she did to a 3L2T). The spirals were always evident, and that serpentine flow over the ice kinda makes her basics up to par with the best of the senior skaters.

Anyone else out in Orange Country that saw her skate?

Joe

D

Dave Amorde

NNN

Naomi looked GREAT!
No signs at all of her hip injury - nice sweeping edges to her footwork, no signs of favoritism.
Her spins are almost as fast as they were four years ago. Since she did her short program, the jump reportoire was limited. Axel, toe, flip. She fell on the flip, but it was fully rotated.

J

Joesitz

Thanks Dave - One more thing.... Would you consider her as up to par in the mix of the present Senior Ladies at Nats this year?

Joe

D

Dave Amorde

Joe, it's difficult to evaluate her based on that one performance, but her basic stroking, power, coverage, etc. are all top-six material. One nice side effect of the injury - as with Sasha when she was sidelined - is that it forced her to spend more time on the basics. If she stays healthy and can pull of six or seven triples in the free skate, she'll definitely be competitive at Nationals. Of course, in this region, just getting out of Regionals is an accomplishment. I haven't looked at the assigment schedule, but it is entirely possible that she'll be competing against Mok, Liang, Nikodinov, Beck, Watson, Kahle, etc.
Having said all that, my biggest fear is that her injury was the type that could rear its ugly head at any moment, especially as she spends more time preparing to skate a long program.

N

nymkfan51

Dave ... thanks so much for the details. I absolutely loved Naomi and really hope she can come back. How deep the U.S. team would be with her in top form again ... plus Michelle, Sasha, AP, Yebin, Bebe, Jenny and on and on.
In order for her to skate at Nationals, I assume she has to go to regionals, sectionals, etc. How high does she have to place? Or does she have to win those events?

Norma

S

skatingfan5

Congrats to NNN!

That is fantastic that NNN was able to skate so well in her first competition (even if it was an exhibition) -- did she really land a 3Z-2T combo? The reason I ask is because Dave just mentioned "axel, toe, flip" vs. the other report which mentioned the lutz combo. Either way, it is good news -- but if she landed a 3lutz combo, that is even better than I had thought possible. Good for her! :) I saw her skate at 2000 Nationals and she was a bit TOO fast -- she had more attack and energy than she could control, unfortunately. And then came her injury. :( I hope that is behind her for good and that she stays healthy and continues her come-back. :) <blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>In order for her to skate at Nationals, I assume she has to go to regionals, sectionals, etc. How high does she have to place? Or does she have to win those events?[/quote]The top 4 finishers at Regionals advance to Sectionals (3 regions/section); the top 4 finishers at Sectionals qualify for Nationals (there are three sectionals, so that means that 12 skaters qualify to Nationals in this way). The Pacific Southwest regional is a tough division -- especially for ladies. However, Yebin won't be competing there this year, as she has an automatic "bye" to Nationals because of her top 6 placement in Dallas. I'm very happy about this change -- in the past only the top 3 were automatically qualified for the next year. Also, there is an additional way that a skater can now qualify for Nationals: by earning a berth in either the GPFinal or Junior GPFinal. Again, I'm glad, because this opens the field to even more good competitors -- especially those who might be competing in very strong regions/sections. :) If anyone wants to slog through all the changes, they can check out the Report of Action from 2003 USFSA Governing Council on the USFSA site:
www.usfsa.org/news/2002-03/finalROA.htm

D

Dave Amorde

Re: Congrats to NNN!

When I said "Axel, toe, flip" I wasn't making any reference to combinations, and I forgot to mention the Lutz. :) The toe-loop was done in combination with the Lutz.
In order: 2A, 3Z-2t, 3f (fall)

S

someonein2003

nnn

wow the south west region does have a very deep ladies field

M

mpal2

Re: nnn

I know the USFSA is talking about restructuring the regions. Does anyone know when that will take effect?