What is happening with Natalia Linichuk and Gennadi Karponosov? | Golden Skate

What is happening with Natalia Linichuk and Gennadi Karponosov?

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
Looking at the faces of the ex-athlete ice-dance coaches/choreographers (Anjelika Krylowa, Dubreil & Lauzon, Massimo Scali, Shae-Lynn Bourne), I've started to wonder what is happening with the couple that not so long ago were the gods among ice dance coaches: Natalia Linichuk and Genadi Karponosov. They worked with Grishuk&Platov, Krylova&Ovsiannikov, Domnina&Shabalin, Denkova&Stavisky, Chait&Sakhnovsky and Belbin&Agosto. In fact, the last time I saw them in the kiss&cry was in Vancouver and since then I have not heard anything about them. They simply disappeared. New faces in the coaching world have emerged and I'm wondering if their silence is due to their retirement or the preference of today's athletes to train with younger and fresher coaches. Or maybe I'm wrong and they work with some junior couples. I would really want to know what is happening with them and I would love to see once more a kiss&cry with Natalia always with her ankle-long fur coat and Genndai, always with his hands in the pockets :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Looking at the faces of the ex-athlete ice-dance coaches/choreographers (Anjelika Krylowa, Dubreil & Lauzon, Massimo Scali, Shae-Lynn Bourne), I've started to wonder what is happening with the couple that not so long ago were the gods among ice dance coaches: Natalia Linichuk and Genadi Karponosov. They worked with Grishuk&Platov, Krylova&Ovsiannikov, Domnina&Shabalin, Denkova&Stavisky, Chait&Sakhnovsky and Belbin&Agosto. In fact, the last time I saw them in the kiss&cry was in Vancouver and since then I have not heard anything about them. They simply disappeared. New faces in the coaching world have emerged and I'm wondering if their silence is due to their retirement or the preference of today's athletes to train with younger and fresher coaches. Or maybe I'm wrong and they work with some junior couples. I would really want to know what is happening with them and I would love to see once more a kiss&cry with Natalia always with her ankle-long fur coat and Genndai, always with his hands in the pockets :)

It might be from sheer embarrassment over the Aborigine OD.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...usa-has-such-a-conditions-as-in-russia.93521/

Karponosov has been made the ice dance federation head in Russia. Above link is to an interview with him, as translated by TAHbKA on FSU.

The Russian ice dance Olympic champion Gennady Karponosov returned to Russia after spending 20 years in the USA. He immediately began a new job as a head ice dancing coach of Russia. We met before the GP events in Moscow

Linichuk, AFAIK, is still in the US, but I don't know which teams, if any, she is coaching.

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
Thanks a lot for the information!!! I didn't know anything of that. A very interesting interview.

Rashela

On the Ice
I remember their junior couple Bonacorsi/Mager from season 2010/2011. They were quite good especially the guy. Unfortunately they broke up. I think Bonacorsi is now competing for Italy and Mager retired.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Last I heard, Linichuk was choreographing for a Chinese dance team, but that was before Sochi and I don't think she's doing that anymore post-Olympics.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://www.iceworks.net/figure_private.shtml

Linichuk is still listed as a full time coach on the Ice Works website. Karponosov is notably missing, so it is fairly current.

However, there are no details whatever about any students she (or Leif Gislaison, the other ice dance coach in Aston) might have.

Last edited:

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
They did good work with Pushkash and Guerreiro and Pushkash has admitted that the biggest mistake to leave Linichuk.

Alba

Record Breaker
She was a great coach, I don't know now. But she was a terrible choreographer, IMO.

BlackPack

Medalist
She was a great coach, I don't know now. But she was a terrible choreographer, IMO.

I agree. With the exception of Grishuk, it seems that everyone liked working with Lini.

Unfortunately, I don't think WeakAnkles' comment is far-fetched. It seems Lini killed the careers of Belbin and Agosto and Domnina and Shabalin with those god-awful programs, and now ice dancers are avoiding them.

viya

Rinkside
She was at the European Championship with Carter Marie JONES and Richard SHARPE (GBR)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It might be from sheer embarrassment over the Aborigine OD.

Oh God, that was them? Every time I think about that routine I wince all over again. What were they thinking?! I still can't believe no-one called them on that before the Olympics, talk about embarrassing yourself on an international stage!

gmyers

Record Breaker
Aboriginal disaster and b/a lame programs destroyed their careers as coaches of the best teams. It's not like they did great with f/s either.