Movie "Hidden Treasures" | Golden Skate

Movie "Hidden Treasures"

Do you have a movie or more than one that you consider a "hidden treasure," one you came across off the beaten path and love but nobody you know has ever seen or heard of?

Here are some of mine:
"Mountains of the Moon" (1986). Director, Bob Rafelson. Yes, the "Five Easy Pieces" Bob Rafelson. Starring Patrick Bergin in his first leading film role. The story is basically about the first two westerners to identify the source of the Nile, so at first you think, "Adventure flick." But it's really about the politics that tear the two explorers apart when they return to England, so you think, "Intrigue flick." But it's REALLY about the relationship between the two explorers and, in a way, the wife of Bergin's character, so you think, "Sex flick." But there's even a suicide, or maybe not a suicide, so you think, "Indie flick." Anyway, the acting is great. It was all filmed on location in Africa. The characters of the Africans are fully explored. The cinematography is to die for. Patrick Bergin is a hunk on wheels. It's got some humor and some great sword and gun fights. It's on DVD though it may not be at your local Blockbuster. But I highly recommend it. The only reason I didn't put it on my list of favorite movies is I knew my list would be long and it would get lost.

"One False Move" (mid-90s). Stars Bill Paxton at his absolute cutest and Billy Bob Thornton before he was the Billy Bob. A mean, violent, cops chasing down killers flick, but there's great human stuff underneath. Was at the top of many critics Ten Best Lists the year it came out.

"Down By Law" (mid-80s). Directed by the man with THE greatest hair for a director, Jim Jarmusch. Stars Tom Waits and Roberto Benigni. Yep, that Roberto Benigni. He didn't speak English at all at the time of the film and it just makes him better in this story of the swampy US south.

"Dead Man" (2002, I think). Another Jarmusch great. If you've seen Jarmusch's films, you know they don't gallop along. But the slow pace is greatly rewarded. Plus this one stars Johnny Depp and has him in almost every scene. Also a small role for Iggy Pop. Plus it has one of the greatest lines ever in film. So are you going to pass up Johnny Depp, Iggy Pop, that great line, AND Robert Mitchum? If you can tell me the great line, I'll try to think of a prize or honorary title.

Finally, my usually word in for Jarmusch's "Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai." It stars Forrest Whitaker and every guy who has ever played a mob guy in any movie since 1960. The music is by RZA. I think it's brilliant and usually watch it about once a month.

Would love to hear other movie hidden treasures.
Rgirl

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well... just because my friends haven't heard of it doesn't mean you all haven't...

"Nuremberg" starring Alec Baldwin is definately one of my all time favorites. It was an HBO made for TV movie... but very very good. IMHO. It's based on the Nuremburg trials... and pretty much in line with how it went... though of course hollywoodised... we have to get into a romantic fling and the like... but it's not a big part of the movie.

I don't know... most of the movies I stumble upon are movies that were seen nationwide... just not here in Kenai :laugh:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
"Run Lola Run"......sort of in the genre of "Groundhog Day" where time and events keeping repeating themselves. No dialogue, but has you holding your breath and on the edge of your seats.....42

Aloft04

On the Ice
Oh, show 42, I loved 'Run Lola Run' too!!

I'm also a nut for 'Wallace and Grommitt' claymation from England, especially 'The Wrong Trousers'....

4dogknight

Final Flight
The Ref (1994) starring Denis Leary, Judy Davis, Kevin Spacey and Glynis Johns. It's Christmas and a cat burglar takes a family hostage and now they're driving him crazy.
This is my better half's favorite film and it's starting to grow on me too. This is a comedy but behind the jokes there's a lot of truth too.
My favorite quote: Gus, the cat burglar, "From now on, the only person who gets to yell is me. Why? Because I have a gun. People with guns get to do whatever they want. Married people without guns - for instance - you - DO NOT get to yell. Why? NO GUNS! No guns, no yelling. See? Simple little equation."

Ruthless People (1986) starring Danny DeVito, Bette Midler, Judge Reinhold, Helen Slater and Bill Pullman. This film is based on the Short Story "The Ransom of Red Chief" by O. Henry.
Despicable clothing manufacturer steals money making clothing design from couple who in turn decide to kidnap businessman's wife and hold her for ransom. Little do they know that the businessman was just waiting for his wife's father to kick the bucket so she could inherit his money and then he would knock her off and the money would then be his. Throw in a serial killer, a mistress, her dumber than dirt boyfriend, a police department that has slightly more intelligence than the boyfriend and you've got a film that is hilarious plus a happy ending.
My favorite part of the film is the beginning, middle and end; particularly a scene near the end involving a telephone booth, a suitcase filled with ransom money, a Bozo the Clown mask and a couple of dozen police marksmen.

The Ghost and the Darkness (1996) starring Val Kilmer, John Kani and Michael Douglas. This film is based on the true story of British Lt. Col. John Paterson who is sent to East Africa in 1896 to build a railway bridge. Facing an unrealistic deadline and trying to work with African and Indian workers, one more element is added – two lions begin killing the workers. Paterson tries to calm the workers to no avail and after dozens of workers are killed and things get really dicey – enter Remington the professional hunter. It must be said however, that the character of Remington is fictional and that Paterson killed both man-eaters, brought the workers back and completed the bridge.
The mounted lion skins are on display in Chicago’s Field Museum. (A trivia item: lions in this part of Africa, Tsavo, do not have manes because of the environment.) Why do I like this film; it’s a true story, great script - the action just doesn’t stop, the cinematography is wonderful – shot in South Africa, but I think it’s the music I really enjoy. All authentic African and the melodies roll around in my head for days.
More trivia: if you do happen to see the film and enjoy it, Paterson wrote a book about his time in Tsavo and it’s been re-released. You can find it on amazon.com – “The Man-Eaters of Tsavo”.

4dk

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
"Freeway" - It came out in 96 and stars Reese Witherspoon (and no, not the "Sweet Home Alabama" version of Reese....this is the gritty, indepedent, kick-ass Reese that I want to see more of!) and Keifer Sutherland and is sort of a modern day, tweaked out "Little Red Riding Hood". Reese plays the teenage daughter of a drug addicted prostitute. Keifer Sutherland is the serial killer that picks her up on the freeway. You'll have to watch the rest to see what unfolds! It is a strange film with so many quirky moments and many unbelievable situations, but you just have to laugh. Reese Witherspoon is the ultimate white trash in this movie, but she is white trash that you can't help but love!

Pookie

Final Flight
I'm not sure how "hidden" they are but they weren't "big" movies. I love "Strictly Ballroom" and "Crossing Delancey."

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Oh, I loved "Crossing Delancey".

Others: British films "Mona Lisa" with Bob Hoskins, "My Beautiful Launderette" with Daniel Day Lewis. Also "Black Orpheus" with Sonia Braga.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I love "Crossing Delancey"......here's another of my favorites I watch at least once a year...."Shirley Valentine"........42

Aloft,
I LOVE "Wallace and Gromit"! Theirs series of tapes was one of the first I went out and bought. I love his "At the Zoo" piece, too. Absolutely brilliant. Another one of my favorite animators is Bill Plympton. He's best known for "My Face," "21 Ways to Quit Smoking," and "Nose Hair." Sick humor, but has me ROFLMAO.

Show,
I love "Run Lola Run" too. When I first heard of it I thought, "Big deal. Another 'beat the clock' flick." But it is so creative and so much more than that. Quite a brilliant little film, IMO.

BTW, the guy who played "Manni" is in another interesting German movie, 2001's "Das Experiment." It's based on a real experiment done where a group of ordinary middle class men were divided into two groups: One was the guards and the other was the captives. What happened in real life and in the film (although the film takes some dramatic licence) gives some real insight into the reality of human nature.

Another one of my hidden treasures is "The Limey" directed by Stephen Soderbergh the same year he did "Erin Brockovich." It's about as unErin Brockovich as you can get, but I think it's the better film. Not only does it star Peter Fonda in a great sleazy role, but the real star is British actor Terrence Stamp. On the DVD Soderbergh says he started writing the script with Stamp as the title character before he'd ever even spoken to Stamp. He said he just had to have him do this part because he was one of only a few British actors left from that group in the 60s that included Malcom MacDowell, Alan Bates, Peter O'Toole, etc. who could still just walk into a room and start trouble.

So many of my favorite films were mentioned, like "Strictly Ballroom," "Mona Lisa," "Black Orpheus," "My Beautiful Launderette" (Danial Day-Lewis at his absolute hottest, at least for me).

And don't fret, Toni. There are film festivals EVERYWHERE these days and I'm sure there will be a Kenai Film Festival someday too.
Rgirl