Music "Hidden Treasures" | Golden Skate

Music "Hidden Treasures"

Do you have a piece of music, song, or musical performer or more than one that you consider a "hidden treasure," one you came across off the beaten path and love but nobody you know has ever heard of?

Here are mine:
Glenn Gould playing the Franz Liszt transcription of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. To hear that entire symphony on piano only, as only Liszt could have transcribed it and as only the Great Gould could have played it should be heard before you die.

Mahler, Songs from Ruckert, conducted by Leonard Bernstein and sung by Dietrich Fischer Dieskau. There's also a piano only accompaniment recording with Bernstein at the piano. The songs are really notable for only one song, "Ich bin der Welt abhandon Gekommen" ("I Have Lost Track of the World"), which is said by some to be the greatest piece of music ever written. I won't argue that, but if you get a conductor who knows what to do with the crucial chord, it can rip your heart out.

Alban Berg, Violin Concerto, Yehudi Menuhin on violin. I know, atonal. But Berg is wonderfully "tonal" in this piece subtitled, "On the Death of an Angel" and dedicated to a friend or relative's lost daughter (sorry, my vinyls are in storage). Don't even both listening to anyone but Menuhin play this. I had three recordings at one time. It's not even the same music without Menuhin's genius.

"Copulatin' Blues" I think this is on Rhino Records. It's a great collection of blues and rags from the early 30s, with great performers such as Bessie Smith. The songs are all double entendre about, well, copulatin'. "Press My Button, Ring My Bell." You get the idea. It's just naughty fun, but don't hunt down if you're shy about such things. "Tea Time Rags" would be more up your alley--whoops, they ain't singing about that kind of tea.;)
Rgirl

bronxgirl

Medalist
My "hidden treasure" is a CD of medieval/renaissance dance music by a group called the Dufay Collective. It sounds as if some of those songs could be club music today (with just a little assist from the DJ):laugh: I highly recommend it - the album's title is "A La Stampida"(my spelling might be wrong, but it's a GREAT album.

Kasey

Medalist
"Holiday from you" by the Gufs.....I think they're pretty unheard of here in the U.S, not sure how popular they are on the other side of the Atlantic....great CD.

Kasey

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
This Hope -- a Christian semi-accapella quintet... they got their start right here in Kenai/Soldotna... now they're touring in churches down south... really great group of guys! :)

http://www.thishope.com is, I think, their official website

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Wintersleep
A band from Halifax that rocks! I can't understand why they haven't made it big yet. Their style is kind of like Radiohead, ehhh, kind of. Its hard to describe. You can listen to their songs on their website www.wintersleep.com
Its kind of nice that they are still small. I can go to lots of concerts. Hopefully once they get big, they won't be like almost every other musical talent coming out of the Maritimes and never tour here a la Sarah MacLachlan.

mike79

On the Ice
I don't think I would call her hidden anymore but Eva Cassidy is simply one of the greatest voices I've ever heard.

Thanks to Michelle Kwan Eva's music has become well known over the past couple of years.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Here are some that I can think of that aren't wildly popular but that I've always loved:

Olive: They had that one hit song from the "Sliding Doors" soundtrack, but other than that they haven't made a big splash in the U.S. Their first album remains one of my favorites. They have such a different sound and the lead singer has a great voice.

Beth Hart: She gained some fame with the Beth Hart Band but her solo career didn't fly. I loved her solo album! Maybe I was the only one! She has a very distinct, almost raspy voice...but it works so well.

Mike79,

I completely agree about Eva Cassidy. I had never heard of her before Michelle skated to "Fields of Gold". Her "Songbird" album is another one of my favorites. She can make anything sound new and exciting....even a song done by a thousand other artists like "Somewhere over the Rainbow".

Kara Bear

Final Flight
BronzeisGolden said:
Beth Hart: She gained some fame with the Beth Hart Band but her solo career didn't fly. I loved her solo album! Maybe I was the only one! She has a very distinct, almost raspy voice...but it works so well.

I love Beth Hart. I have one of her cds from a few years ago, but haven't heard anything from her lately.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Kate Bush--not exactly a complete unknown, but not exactly someone with whom everyone is familiar. :love: