Blade Advice | Golden Skate

Blade Advice

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Hello!

I apologize if I'm overly redundant with this question but I have found the advice given here really on point, and very helpful. The short story is, I am thinking as to whether or not to get new blades in the next few months. I am an adult skater (27) who skated for 10 years growing up (only competitive with synchro). I was never very good, had singles (minus axel) and stopped for college and grad school. I began skating again several months ago, and have back the jumps I did then (plus some combinations I didn't have then).

When I was 17 (ten years ago, ouch) I got new skates, which are the skates I have now. The boots are great and a good model but I have never been in love with the blades. They are John Wilson Majestics (which is the most beginner of the jw blades as far as I know). A part of my problem with them is that for two years before that I skated on some used skates that had a blade that was way too advanced for me (I think phantoms). While skating on blades that were too high level for me definitely didn't help me at all, the drastic transition (especially during my last year skating), wasn't fun either.

Basically I have returned to skating regularly, and my goal is to compete next year (yay adults!). Is it all in my head and my blades are fine? If I keep skating will I need/want better blades. If so what would be a good option for where I am as a skater?

Thank you!

mskater93

Record Breaker
What is your current skill level? I'd consider an upgrade at least to a JW Coronation Ace if you are already close to your former level. If you aren't a fan of JW blades, consider the MK Pro. If you are still regaining basic basics, stick with these for a little bit and invest in more ice time. Good luck, welcome back and I hope to see you at a competition soon!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am not much younger than you and I'm in Coronation Aces. The only issues I've ever had is a few toepick faceplants due to my total inability to put my weight in the correct place on the blade :laugh:

I am landing singles too, and they will quite do the job for you for a long while yet. As blades come, they're not totally expensive, either. I buy mine from Sheffield in England where they are made, which even with shipping turns out quite cheap. (For blades, anyway!)