• Nader

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • other

Votes: 5 4.7%

• Total voters

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I voted for Nader in 2000, but not this time around.

rusalka

On the Ice
I'd like to know more about american politics. Can someone explain me who Nader is?

bronxgirl

Medalist
Ralph Nader was a consumer advocate/activist. He helped prompt one of the earliest mass consumer recalls due to a prioduct defect in a car. He ran for Persident in 2000 on the Green Party line, and many Democrats feel he cost Gore the election by taking votes in tight races in some states. You see, in the US, there is not a direct election of the President. There is the elctoral college. When I vote, I'm actually voting for the electors pledged for a candidate in my state. Gore won the popular vote, but lost the electoral college majority, and this is why Naqder is so controversial again, because of the fear that this may happen again.
Hope this helps and wasn't too partisan :)

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Two years ago it would have been Bush most likely, but now I feel much differently. I am starting to disagree with more and more of his policies and issue stances. But, then again, I feel that I know next-to-nothing about Kerry. This seems like such a bleak race! I'm thoroughly confused and have no idea who I am voting for....but hopefully by November I'll make up my mind!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I will be voting for Kerry in November because I find myself in severe disagreement with most of Bush's policies and particularly with his international and health policies. I detest the Republican administration's attempt to cancel overtime for many people. I detest their gag rule policies with respect to clinics overseas that have cost many women and children their lives. I detest their highhanded and arrogant treatment of foreign countries. I think that their Iraq adventurism made the country far less safe, by providing fertile recruiting advertising materialfor al Qaeda for the next 50 years while allowing the Taliban and al Qaeda (the real terrorists) to regroup in Afghanistan. Additionally, this war was extremely badly planned without an exit strategy, and hugely expensive and cost many, many Iraqi lives and an every increasing number of American lives. Bush came into office with a good sized surplus and by injudicious tax cuts primarily given to the rich, he has acquired a huge deficit. Even Greenspan is expressing grave reservations about the long term effects of this deficit. These are my public spirited reasons.

However, there are also personal reasons:
The fact that the Republican administration has had the Equal Opportunity Commission pass a rule that allows my company to cancel my retiree health insurance and push me on to Medicare when I am eligible (Medicare is a much less attractive health option that what my company offers.) is one reason that I would never vote for Bush. The second personal reason that I would never vote for Bush is the Medicare prescription law. This law has a section that allows my company to also cancel both my and my husband's retiree drug coverage. This cool move will cost us about $10,000 every year. The drug coverage does not come with basic Medicare. It only comes if you can enrol in an HMO. Neither of us has good health. Private companies, as they say, do not insure burning houses. We will have to take Medicare, and will not be able to get the drugs through retiree coverage any more because the company will say that we should be able to get the prescription coverage, but we won't. If my cancer recurs, it will cost me my life, because I will not be able to afford the chemotherapy. Additionally, my husband is a diabetic. If you have been following the the Republican health rhetoric, you will find 'personal responsibility' highlighted. In other words, if you are a diabetic or have any disease that they can claim is somehow your fault, you will have to pay for everything. Doesn't matter that my husband's grandmother died of diabetes, his thyroid failed at 34, and that most of his problems have a genetic base. Nope diabetes is your fault. Need a kidney transplant? Dialysis? Huge array of pills? You must pay. It was your fault.

We need universal health coverage in this country and will not get it from the Republicans.

I will be voting Democrat across the board.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I, too, voted for Nader in 2000 (I was registered in Texas at the time, I didn't help GWB at all...), but this time I will vote for Kerry. While he isn't my favorite candidate (I liked Dean a great deal), he stands for most of what I believe in.

Also, for how I feel about Bush, please re-read Doris's post. As a teacher, I can also rant on about No Child Left Behind, which is the biggest crock of sh*t. No teacher I know wants to leave children behind, we do our best to teach these kids. But standardized tests don't prove anything other than that our kids know how to take tests. Trust me as the teacher to let you know if the student has learned the material sufficiently. If you don't trust me, then I shouldn't be teaching. I don't just pass along students, though God knows it's tempting with some of them. But I accept that there are 21 students who will repeat 9th grade English next year. Two will be on their 4th time through the class....

You want children to do well in school? Then make sure they get breakfast, make sure they come from a home where they feel safe, make sure their parents care about how they do in school, etc, etc.
Tests prove nothing.

Rant over. Have a great evening!

Laura :)

bronxgirl

Medalist
My mother was a school teacher. I understand and agree with everything that's been said. I'm voting for Kerry.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Princess Leppard, I totally agree with you on No Child Left Behind but I wanted to leave something for someone else to rant about! It's not fair to write all the commentary. BTW I was a very serious Dean supporter. And the way this war is all playing out surely makes it evident that Dean was the candidate who best understood the situation, despite the media dumping all over him for his opinions.

The media owes Dean an apology. He had it totally right.

And he was very, very good on No Child Left Behind, right from the days he was a governor and recommended that VT should probably just opt out of the federal funds to avoid the burden associated with NCLB; it would cost less than implementing NCLB. The Republican who replaced him as a governor didn't do it though.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
No teacher I know wants to leave children behind, we do our best to teach these kids. But standardized tests don't prove anything other than that our kids know how to take tests.

really? then please DO explain why Alaska's students across the board can barely pass standardized tests that are EASIER than the GED??????????????????? They have "dummied" the dang things down so far I think the class of 03 who had horrible scores(I barely passed the Math portion by 3 points... my FRESHMAN YEAR of high school... back when they had trig and calc. on there, now they have the very basic Algebra) should complain and get extra points put on their record!... Really how it the students' faults that the teachers would rather care about making sure the football team has everyone covered and no failing players?

Kenai Central had some of the highest scores in all of Alaska ... and their football team sucked because the kids weren't practicing 24/7 they were studying... granted some of the teachers did fudge the scores so they kids could play... but for the most part if they even had a D they didn't play... we finally won state because we were GOOD... not because someone skimped on the grading...

yeah somehow I don't see how Bush is so totally off his rocker...

My first presidential election vote's going to Bush....

Last edited:

bronxgirl

Medalist
My mother taught in an inner city setting in the Bronx. I don't know what the socio-economics are like in Kenai. but these kids had to deal with single parent households, drug addicted parents,and child abuse. And this was back during the time when these issues didn't make the front page of any newspaper. I don't know what life is like in Alaska for high school, but way too many teachers face the type of children my mother did, with even fewer resources. At least my mother didn't have to buy the paper for the school's mimeograph machine.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Toni, I'm sorry the teachers in your state are so unethical that they fudge scores so people can play sports. I am very fortunate that at my school, the principal backs us 100%. If the kid is failing, they don't play. End of story. There is no pressure put on the teachers to change the grade.

I'm also sorry your tests are so "easy." They aren't in Nebraska. But it doesn't matter if they are easy or hard. My point is: you have got to trust the teachers. And if you don't, they shouldn't be teaching. If I feel a student hasn't met the minimum requirements for English I, he or she DOESN'T PASS. I am not leaving this child behind, I am keeping him/her back so that he or she CAN learn the material.

Many of my students are low income or poverty level, some from 4th or 5th generation poverty homes. I have students who have been kicked out of other schools and are on their 15th foster home. I am fighting much more than just trying to get kids to write in complete sentences, I am trying to break the cycle of "I don't need an education" and I don't need 15 damn state mandated tests to tell me if this student is succeeding in that or not. *I* can tell. This is why I went to school to be a teacher.

Talk to a teacher. Ask why one state has pulled out of No Child Left Behind and others are considering it.

But I am glad you are voting, no matter who you vote for.

bronxgirl

Medalist
To Toni
I also am thrilled you are voting. My motto has always been, if you don't vote, don't b***ch!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Toni, Congratulations on voting! Be sure and check into the policies of the minor officials you will be voting on as well as the big senate, house, governor, and presidential races. The first time I voted I hadn't a clue about the candidates for state legislature, and in many ways those are the people who will most affect your own life, and particularly who will have the most to do with improving the quality of public education in your area. The next time I voted, I had done my homework better.

As to schools, I thought it might be interesting to throw up for discussion the state rankings for this last year, done by morganquitno, who will sell you a whole book on the details.

The items used for ranking are at the bottom of the page.
Being rural does not keep states from doing a good job at education. Montana (4) and Vermont (2) are very rural.
Being culturally diverse and having some dreadful poverty pockets does not keep a state from scoring well. New Jersey is 5th. Being poor is no guarantee of badness. Vermont (2) is 26th in income. Being rich is no guarantee of goodness. Texas is 34th and CA is 44.

It should be note that John Kerry is from Massachussetts, the state currently ranking highest. He was a lt. governor of it, and I believe attorney general at one time, but it's a long time ago and has nothing to do with MA's education ranking. George Bush,however, is from the wealthiest state in the union, which can only muster 34th, and he was a governor of it and has a lot to do with how it is. I would not like education to keep looking more like Texas, which is what he seems to be doing.

1 Massachusetts 16.59
2 Vermont 16.43
3 Connecticut 15.8
4 Montana 9.48
5 New Jersey 9.39
6 Maine 7.67
7 Pennsylvania 7.33
8 Wisconsin/Iowa (tie) 6.55
10 New York 6.16

11 Nebraska 5.24

23 Alaska -0.08

34 Texas -2.93

44 California -9.45

50 New Mexico -22.04

POSITIVE (+ 1-13) AND NEGATIVE (- 15-21) FACTORS CONSIDERED:
Public Elementary and Secondary School Revenue per $1,000 Personal Income (Table 55) +
Per Pupil Public Elementary and Secondary School Current Expenditures (Table 109) +
Percent of Public Elementary and Secondary School Current Expenditures used for Instruction (Table 133) +
Percent of Population Graduated from High School (Table 172) +
Public High School Graduation Rate (Table 175) +
Percent of Public School Fourth Graders Proficient or Better in Reading (Table 193) +
Percent of Public School Eighth Graders Proficient or Better in Reading (Table 201) +
Percent of Public School Fourth Graders Proficient or Better in Writing (Table 209) +
Percent of Public School Eighth Graders Proficient or Better in Writing (Table 217) +
Percent of Public School Fourth Graders Proficient or Better in Mathematics (Table 225) +
Percent of Public School Eighth Graders Proficient or Better in Mathematics (Table 233) +

Percent of 4th Graders Whose Parents Have Strict Rules about Getting Homework Done (Table 282) -
Average Teacher Salary as a Percent of Average Annual Pay of All Workers in State(Table 346) -
Percent of School-Age Population in Public Schools (Table 416) -
High School Drop Out Rate (Table 185) -
Percent of Public School Teachers Who Reported Being Physically Attacked in the Past 12 Months (Table 261) -
Special Education Pupil-Teacher Ratio (Table 325) -
Percent of Public Elementary and Secondary School Staff Who are School District Administrators (Table 361) -
Estimated Pupil-Teacher Ratio in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools (Table 371) -
Average Class Size in Public Elementary Schools (Table 394) -
Average Class Size in Public Secondary Schools (Table 395) -

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Doris, thanks for posting that! I think it's great that Nebraska ranks 11th, when our teacher pay ranks 46th. I think this says a lot about the dedication and quality of the teachers here.

But if there is ONE thing that could significantly improve students performance...if given money to only fund one thing...it would be smaller class sizes. You give me a class of 15, and I can probably turn around 95% of kids who are failing. (there will always be those who just flat out refuse to work...)

Interesting that Bush is using Texas as a model for the rest of the US. I interviewed in Houston before accepting my job in Nebraska, and I didn't like the concept of "teaching to the test." My job is to teach my students how to think, not how to pass one specific test (or in Nebraska's case, 15 specific tests).

Oh, yeah, and always read up on smaller candidates! Want to know who's pro-school? See who the NEA is endorsing. (you know, the "terrorist" organization? :p)