2015 Russian Nationals Free Dance | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2015 Russian Nationals Free Dance

hanca

Record Breaker
Bukin is a good skater, but will never be able to skate like Guillaume.
Guillaume was phenomanal since I first saw him 8 years ago. He is exceptional talent, possibly the best male ice dancer ever.
Gabriella brings a lot too, way more than Stepanova ever will. Stepanova is just another good Russian skater, which is above average flexible, she is not the talent Gabriella is. (I am trying to be impartial as of course P/C are for my country ;) ).

I can see how you are trying to remain impartial, but you are not doing a good job of it! :laugh:

Mattieu

Medalist
I wouldn't see it so dark. Soon Bukin may be skating with Sinitsina when she gets fed up of Katsalapov making constantly mistakes.

Sinitsina is very stiff in the knees not much of a trade up from Stepanova, though she is maybe a little prettier.
How tall is Bukin, is he tall enough for Sinitsina?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Guillaume was phenomanal since I first saw him 8 years ago. He is exceptional talent, possibly the best male ice dancer ever.
Gabriella brings a lot too, way more than Stepanova ever will. Stepanova is just another good Russian skater, which is above average flexible, she is not the talent Gabriella is. (I am trying to be impartial as of course P/C are for my country ;) ).
That's a bit much at this point--really no better than Zueva's overhype of S/K or TAT's overhype of S/B.

Mattieu

Medalist
That's a bit much at this point--really no better than Zueva's overhype of S/K or TAT's overhype of S/B.

It is not overhype, as will be show in Euros when P/C win ;)
If S/B beat P/C at Euros, I accept I overhype P/C

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
It is not overhype, as will be show in Euros when P/C win ;)
If S/B beat P/C at Euros, I accept I overhype P/C
But beating Russian #3 S/B (and even I/Z + C/L, who are the bigger threats) doesn't make him the greatest ice dancer ever. I mean, doesn't that title kinda go to Christopher Dean...?

For the record, I like P/C, I think they're 99% certain to beat all the Russian teams, and 80% sure to win Europeans unless B/S return. But what does that prove?

Last edited:

Marta25

Medalist
But beating Russian #3 S/B (and even I/Z + C/L, who are the bigger threats) doesn't make him the greatest ice dancer ever. I mean, doesn't that title kinda go to Christopher Dean...?

For the record, I like P/C, I think they're 99% certain to beat all the Russian teams, and 80% sure to win Europeans unless B/S return. But what does that prove?

Well, I think if P/C win Euros, they would have a much stronger political cloud for Worlds and could maybe even challenge C/B for the silver medal.

Mattieu

Medalist
Well, I think if P/C win Euros, they would have a much stronger political cloud for Worlds and could maybe even challenge C/B for the silver medal.

I think they will beat C/B, as the judges are going more and more with P/C as the season progresses.
It must've been a surprise for the judges how a team who were not in the top flight in Euros have come back so strong this season.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I'd be delighted if they win silver over C/B :p (but I do want the gold for W/P, and I think they're going to get it).

I think P/C has a great FD, but SD not so much.
Their SD grew on me. It's at least better than C/B's, imo. And... as much as it pains to me say this, W/P's as well. I really liked W/P's at first but after a few times it seemed... I dunno, a little unoriginal.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I wouldn't see it so dark. Soon Bukin may be skating with Sinitsina when she gets fed up of Katsalapov making constantly mistakes.

I agree. Who knows if sinitsina will stay in her current disaster.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well, if someone said last about Papadakis/Cizeron that they are candidate for the next Olympic gold, everyone would be thinking 'Huh???' Papadakis/Cizeron's last season's results were 15th at Europeans and 13th at worlds. And yet this season they may be fighting for a medal at worlds. So in regards to Stepanova & Bukin, I can't see it at this moment, but maybe Tarasova knows what she is talking about. Maybe the next season they will be there next to Papadakis/Cizeron.
P and C rise is hardly a shock. Two or three years ago many of us saw the potential. For a while they looked like they might win world gold in 2015. Now I am not so sure but I do think they will be at worst top four in the worlds and most likely medal - gold is not impossible. As for S and K I think they were pushing too much too fast and they deserve another season. I do wonder a bit about Zueva - are we seeing her weaknesses now a few years after the split? The "problems"in Russia with their pairs seems to be benefitting the French and Americans the most. I am super curious how the Italians C and L factor in - are they really back on top as their scores at Nationals would suggest? Right now it is exciting in dance - I think P and C have huge potential and don't count out I and Z (but in a few years). Chock and Bates may be the judges favourite but not mine. I am not sure if Weaver and Poje have enough to stay on top though it isn't unfathomable they get a world title - afterall they barely lost to the Italians who in my opinion are very ho hum and quite possibly could be like the German and Israeli teams of yester year - winning a medal and then falling down the ladder - I guess the Shibutani's also fall in that category.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope Bukin doesn't fall into the pressure of his dad's shadow. I am pretty sure he is Andrei Bukin of Bestmianova and Bukin who I, gasp, in a way felt should have beat the great Torvill and Deanin 1984 (they became so theatrical by 1988).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
No, they shouldn't. I didn't see the 1984 Olympics, but I was at Worlds. No one, including B&B, were even close to T&D in the 3 compulsories. T&D could do a CD so that the traces from the iterations lay as close to each other as compulsory figures! :eek:

Their OD was the best paso OSP/ OD/SD I have ever seen. And as we see this year, it is hard to make a paso stand out from the crowd.

Bestemianova & Bukin had an FD to Russian folk music
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=OwuIGbYcpzY

Unfortunately, because the music speeds up so much, by its nature, they were unable to skate to the beat in the fast sections. Timing failures were if anything, more stringently looked down upon in 6.0 than in the current judging system. There was no way B&B should have beaten T&D in the FD either, no matter whether you personally liked Bolero or not.

So just no.

T&D were ahead on every judge's card, including the Russian judge's, for both the technical and artistic marks.
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=WB92UdcT9OY

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker

I agree with you about Guillame. He is really good, the best male dancet out there right now.
I don't think Gabriella is one of the best skater tbh, but she is much more expressive and good in interpretation than Stepanova or Sinitsina. That's for sure, and I do think Gabriella and Guillame are a very good match also.
I also like their SD very much. I think it's original because it has a "dark" feeling a bit. I think it's the second best SD together with Shibutanis.

I am super curious how the Italians C and L factor in - are they really back on top as their scores at Nationals would suggest?

Not at all. Those scores were ridiculous, even for nationals.
There is still time though, till Euros. So maybe they will improve further.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
No, they shouldn't. I didn't see the 1984 Olympics, but I was at Worlds. No one, including B&B, were even close to T&D in the 3 compulsories. T&D could do a CD so that the traces from the iterations lay as close to each other as compulsory figures! :eek:

Their OD was the best paso OSP/ OD/SD I have ever seen. And as we see this year, it is hard to make a paso stand out from the crowd.

Bestemianova & Bukin had an FD to Russian folk music
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=OwuIGbYcpzY

Unfortunately, because the music speeds up so much, by its nature, they were unable to skate to the beat in the fast sections. Timing failures were if anything, more stringently looked down upon in 6.0 than in the current judging system. There was no way B&B should have beaten T&D in the FD either, no matter whether you personally liked Bolero or not.

So just no.

T&D were ahead on every judge's card, including the Russian judge's, for both the technical and artistic marks.
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=WB92UdcT9OY

This. Total :agree: And as you said, just no. No one has come close this season to touching T/D's PD. No one.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I never thought much of T/D Paso Doble and even now it seems rather stale. For me too cerebral for such a passionate dance. Their OD from 1994 the Rhumba, well that was sizzling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19CYCcmA2Y0 Their Bolero though is genius. Still can watch it endlessly to this day.

I am not a great fan of the paso doble in general, however I/Z's paso doble from COR 2014 is the performance of the season for me. Chock/Bates at the same event was also pretty memorable. The others really haven't grabbed me but I hope second half of the season brings us lovely new memories.

danceme

Rinkside
Country
Commonwealth
I never thought much of T/D Paso Doble and even now it seems rather stale. For me too cerebral for such a passionate dance. Their OD from 1994 the Rhumba, well that was sizzling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19CYCcmA2Y0 Their Bolero though is genius. Still can watch it endlessly to this day.

I am not a great fan of the paso doble in general, however I/Z's paso doble from COR 2014 is the performance of the season for me. Chock/Bates at the same event was also pretty memorable. The others really haven't grabbed me but I hope second half of the season brings us lovely new memories.

did you have watch T/D 1984 Paso Doble OD Live ???