May Flowers/April Showers Lessons and Practices, 5/3 - 5/9 | Golden Skate

May Flowers/April Showers Lessons and Practices, 5/3 - 5/9

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Happy Mother's Day week!! How goes the skating?

Rain, rain go away: Scratchy, stiff start this morning. I just was a little stiff legged at first.

Everything's coming up Roses: MAJOR breakthrough today, with both salchow and one foot spin. I finally got a better hang on lengthening the opening edge with both. Got the check on the three turn into the salchow better and was able to jump better, and I'm FINALLY starting to get the hang of "edging out" intially before I spin. In both cases, I was popping both moves somewhat, nudging my right shoulder around too fast. Both moves feel quite different, but coach says its a big improvement. Amazing how proper right arm placement can make a difference in that spin.

Now, if my sinuses will JUST hold out through competition on the 14th and 15th. Rainly weather and changes in the weather and pressure from traveling once again caused my sinuses to "pop" a bit, although I'm breathing better overall so I can't complain.

So, how goes it, troopers?????? :D

icer

Rinkside
No skating last week (work!), and I paid for it.... no flow at all (plus for some reason, there was no music in yesterday's session, so nothing external to flow with)... but April showers DO bring May flowers, right? Biggest surprise is that my BEST move was the alternating FI 3 turns. Hard work pays off!

soogar

Record Breaker
Pretty big breakthrough for me as I mastered the waltz jump and actually landed a toe loop and tried a salchow. However I fell on my a$$ a lot and now my back is killing me. I don't get any height at all on my jumps so what are things I can do to get height and how does everyone here deal with falls?

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Soogar- to get height in a jump takes practice, but upper body strength helps (along with leg strength). Besides your skating do some strength training for your upper body and legs. Speed into a jump also helps with height.

As for the falling how about lots of padding while you are learning a jump. They make these pants that have padding in them. When I find myself falling I try and go with the flow and not fight it-but it sure does hurt!

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
Well this was a great week for my little one in her lessons! She landed her first double salchow - I was so excited for her. She has been cheating it for a couple months but it finally came! She landed 4 in her lesson! We go back tommorrow for the last day of spring session and then its competition day on Friday.

I am so proud of my little sweetie!

Canuck

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
May Flowers-lessons today went pretty good. Worked on 3 turns, stroking and checking. Who knew that a forward inside 3 turn could be so hard?

April Showers-no April showers today:)

icer

Rinkside
dlkksk8fan, you are on the right board for sympathetic cheering on your efforts with the FI 3 turn!!! Being able to do them without terror is one of the things that I am most proud of achieving over the past few months (and a day when I do a string of good ones with confidence is STILL worth noting!).

After a great Pilates session, I have refound my body and am now able to skate again. Did some really great spinning (I'd lost them for a while)- need to get lower on the sit spin, but for what I'm doing the positions and speed are much improved. Camel is making slow progress- fun to try, but still can't get around in that position more than about 2 times before coming up to a scratch spin.

Jumps remain tiny (thanks for asking for advice, Soogar- helpful for me, too). I am much more relaxed in my attempts at the loop jump, though. I am SO close to being able to really do one. Can't wait to tell you all when I've got it.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
May flowers were blooming with no one on the ice but me for 1/2 hour:D Everything was smooth today with centered spins:)

Have a nice weekend all and Happy Mothers Day to all the moms!

starshinexavier

On the Ice
May Flowers: I had tryouts tonight for the synchro team I was recruited for. It felt soooooooo nice to get back out on the ice and skate synchro. We did some individual stroking so that the coach could get a feel for our strengths and weaknesses, as well as our style. We did russian stroking, twizzles and 3 turns individually down the ice. We also did lunges/drags forwards and backwards on each foot down the ice. In lines, we did russian stroking, and crosscuts on the circle that go progressively faster. We then did a block with russian stroking, crosscuts, 3 turns, mohawks, twizzles and direction changes that took up the whole ice surface. The line I was in had minimal difficulties with the block, which was nice, and we were also dubbed "the power line". Everyone was super nice too, which was great, and everyone seemed to gel a bit, and work together nicely.

April Showers: I really felt old tonight. My knees and feet really hurt when I got off the ice. After popping a celebrex, all was well. As a group, we struggled a bit with the block, since some skaters were new to synchro and had a little difficulties with the block and steps. Other than that, it felt sooo great to skate synchro again!

Happy Skating everyone!