Clockwise Skaters | Golden Skate

Clockwise Skaters

rollerblade

Record Breaker
You mean the lefty skaters?

I'm sure the list is much longer, but off the top of my head... Carolina Kostner, Alissa Czisny, Johnny Weir, Sarah Hughes, Todd Eldredge, Denise Biellmann, Tanja Shevchenko.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Kaetlyn Osmond is one, so is Rudy Galindo

I think Satoko was a clockwise skater when she started out is the US but when she got to Japan everyone else was counterclockwise so she eventually learned how to do it the same way. Same with Jayne Torvill, she was a clockwise skater before teaming up with Christopher Dean, then she switched.

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
Shawn Sawyer, Kaetlyn Osmond, Emmanuel Sandhu, Paige Lawrence, Rudi Swiegers, Toller Cranston, Gary Beacom,

heyang

Record Breaker

I think Satoko was a clockwise skater when she started out is the US but when she got to Japan everyone else was counterclockwise so she eventually learned how to do it the same way. Same with Jayne Torvill, she was a clockwise skater before teaming up with Christopher Dean, then she switched.

Definitely Rudy - I recall the conversation by the commentators when he was skating with Kristi who skates counter-clockwise. It made their presentation more complex to choreo.

It's quite a feat for someone to change their natural turning direction. Very few can turn both ways well for either jumps and/or spins and perform them equally well. So, it's very impressive that Jayne could change her direction and attain the levels she and Chris performed at.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

That's impressive. I guess switching the rotation on the ice would be very hard.

trains

On the Ice
The Jelineks were a 'mirror' pair. Maria was a southpaw.
The Olympic champion pair Wagner and Paul, Bob Paul had to switch direction and actually could do a double axel in both directions,
Donald Jackson was a southpaw too.

gkelly

Record Breaker
It's quite a feat for someone to change their natural turning direction. Very few can turn both ways well for either jumps and/or spins and perform them equally well. So, it's very impressive that Jayne could change her direction and attain the levels she and Chris performed at.

Well, they were a dance team, in an era before multirotational twizzles or lifts were common.

I'm pretty sure that most of the moves they did that did involve quick rotation were performed clockwise.

jcoates

Medalist
Yamaguchi and Galindo were a mirror pair also and Tiffany Scott and Philip Dulebohn were a clockwise pair.

Rudy and Kristi jumped and spun in opposite directions. However throws, lifts, twists, death spirals and pair spins were done in Kristi's counterclockwise direction. They were wonderful to watch. If only there had been more time available to allow them to develop further.

John Curry spun in both directions in most of his programs.

Brenda

On the Ice
fun fact: Skate America 2011 had a very rare all-clockwise podium in ladies with 1. Alissa Czisny, 2. Carolina Kostner, 3. Viktoria Helgesson.

desertskates

Medalist
I think what we're seeing here is that if you happened to be left handed, you might well excel at skating. Some of my favorites listed here :)

Matilda

Medalist
I think what we're seeing here is that if you happened to be left handed, you might well excel at skating. Some of my favorites listed here :)

Clockwise skaters aren't all lefties though ;) Ashley and Caro are indeed left-handed, I believe, but Johnny is right-handed. I don't have enough data for a statistical analysis, however :p

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Clockwise skaters aren't all lefties though ;) Ashley and Caro are indeed left-handed, I believe, but Johnny is right-handed. I don't have enough data for a statistical analysis, however :p

This is true. I am not left handed and I jump clockwise. I can spin in both directions. :party2: