Beautiful Shizuka Photoshoot | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Beautiful Shizuka Photoshoot

Longhornliz

Final Flight
berthes ghost said:
ITA Kemy. If you look at pictures like the very first one where the dog is in front of her chest, she looks absolutely nothing like a 13 year old. People are just silly sometimes.

My comment was not meant to be derogatory, and I don’t feel that most people perceived it that way....

I do think that she is lovely (as I said in my post), and while that may not mean a darn thing when considering her talent as a skater, it is my opinion.

I would just like to clarify that I was begging the question, do these girls experience delays in maturation because of the incredibly grueling training they pursue or are their slight frames due to genetics? I don’t think that is an inappropriate question.

IDLERACER

Medalist
The little "Search Caption" box to the upper left on that webpage can lead to all sorts of mayhem, depending on what name you type in it. For instance, type "Nikodinov," and the result will be what are easily the two least flattering pictures of her I have ever seen on the net.

kemy

Rinkside
Longhornliz said:
I would just like to clarify that I was begging the question, do these girls experience delays in maturation because of the incredibly grueling training they pursue or are their slight frames due to genetics? I don’t think that is an inappropriate question.

I think it might have some effect, but not a lot...

Victoria Volchkova comes to mind as being one who doens't follow this supposed phenomenon. Shizuka is not slight, as she's one of the taller skaters. I think the smaller skaters tend to have more success and that's why a lot of skaters are short.

icenut84

Final Flight
Longhornliz said:
My comment was not meant to be derogatory, and I don’t feel that most people perceived it that way....

I did. I agree with what Kemy said.

Maybe *that's* not an inappropriate question, if you're really interested, but what you said in your first post is somehting that does cause offence to people. Women develop into all shapes and sizes, and there are plenty of women who are just naturally small-chested. It doesn't mean they "haven't developed", it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them. I'm small-chested myself and self-conscious about it, so it really annoys me when posters talk about a skater's small chest in a derogatory way, or insult them because of it, or make "funny" comments. Or say they look 13, when they clearly don't, and have the body of a fit young woman who just happens to be small up top.

As for Shizuka, she's an athlete. Not many top athletes have a big chest (there are some exceptions, those who probably would have ended up with a bigger chest anyway), probably because of all the training they do, the low body fat, etc. Watch the Olympics this summer, I doubt you'll see many women competitors who have big chests. It's just somehting that tends to go with being an athlete.

As for the training slowing the maturation process - for some poeple, that's probably true (most likely occuring in young teens who are worked very hard, like some gymnasts). But Shizuka is in her 20s! And a fit young woman with the body of a woman.

jesslily

Final Flight
There isn't anything wrong to comment the beauty of a skater. most elite skaters are handsome and beautiful. If they are not at all and have remarkable weaknesses, they wouldn't be able to move to the top. Skating is show business, if you don't have the look, nobody wants to watch you.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Well said, Kateri...

Hmmm...the phrase "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" springs to mind.
It's not like disagreeing with someone who liked her skating - that can have an objective basis, and there's a reason to discuss it, since she'll be judged on her skating.

But there's no need to say negative things here, the pics weren't posted to debate her beauty, but to show it to those who were interested.

If someone shows a pic of their daughter (for example) to a group of friends and they all say "wow, she's so beautiful!!" if I don't agree, I would never say so!! I'd just not say anything.
How is this different?

k.

thanks for taking the words right out of my mouth:) In a sport in which competitors seduce us as skaters with a gorgeous body line or an exquisitely shaped layback, what's so wrong about celebrating the individual, diverse beauty of skaters? Beauty is, after all, in the eye of the beholder...in fact, there's a "Most beautiful lady skater" thread over on the Voting Booth right now, and it's just been fun to see how many different faces people find beautiful. Not just the one type of "classic beauty", that is.

Sarah