2015 US Nationals Practice groups and detailed schedule | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Practice groups and detailed schedule

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ha! I don't complain to the Walmart help either....not their fault....:)
The shuttle service last time has some glitches that were worked out after a day.....I suspect that there might be some fine tuning here also. I think when a major event lets out late at night, those buses will be lined up ready to take us back to our dens.
I forgot about that "different" oly year schedule where we actually had time to eat! Oh well....I am having false memories of time to eat at the last GB too, at least early in the week....there was the Italian place I really enjoyed....

I think the new format with all the National events the same week means this is the new model. The schedules will be PACKED from now on. Spokane was really unique in that they had an extra Championship weekend and a lot less competitions then we now have.

Sounds like this year the shuttle system is going to create issues amoung the "start to finish" crowd so I expect lots of complaining. And based on what I have seen in the past that will billed over to "hating everything".

Just remember the Volunteer you are chewing out didn't actually make these decisions. (I met some of you when I volunteered. And screaming at me did not really help, trust me LOL)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, now you have me confused...below is the shuttle schedule as posted . The way I read this is as follows. The shuttle leaves the doubletree on the hour (hence, :00)
On Monday, for instance, the shuttle starts at 7:15 so the first trip from the double tree would be at 08:00. Am I reading that right?

Silver Shuttle Schedule
Sheraton buses Depart Sheraton on the :15 and the :45 and depart the Coliseum on the :15 and :45
Hampton/Doubletree bus Departs Doubletree on the :00, Hampton on the :10, and Coliseum on the :40
Friday, January 16 (Sheraton bus only) 8:15 am - 9:45 pm
Saturday, January 17 6:45 am - 10:45 pm
Sunday, January 18 7:45 am - 11:15 pm
Monday, January 19 7:15 am - 11:45 pm
Tuesday, January 20 6:45 am - 12:15 am
Wednesday, January 21 6:45 am - 11:15 pm
Thursday, January 22 7:15 am - 11:45 pm
Friday, January 23 6:45 am - 12:15 am
Saturday, January 24 8:45 am - 12:15 am
Sunday, January 25 11:15 am - 10:15 pm

I gave the 2011 LOC an A+ for being helpful and answering questions. At this point I would give the 2015 LOC a C-.

I agree that part of the problem is combining Jr. Nationals with Sr. Nationals. Part of the reason, IIRC, was to expose the younger, lower level skaters to the skaters and fans. Doesn't seem to be working out well and in 2016 I can't image it will work any better and probably far worse.

The couple of questions that I've asked of the LOC have resulted in me being told to call the Coliseum. The LOC was not able to provide a name or phone number to call or any other information. The situation with the shuttle is very aggravating and honestly I feel I've been ripped off. If any of the shuttle info had been available before I ordered my pass, I would have completely revamped my trip. But, it is too late now and I will just have to live with it.

I have asked the LOC by email when the fist shuttle leaves the Doubletree each morning and the answer has been on the :00. Since there are generally 24 hours in a day it would sure be nice to have a real answer. I replied and asked again when the first shuttle leaves the Doubletree (especially on Tues, Weds, and Fri.) and the answer was 1 line. "The shuttle leaves the Doubletree at the :00 and the Hampton at :10". Still doesn't tell me if it is 6:00 a.m. or 7:00 a.m. I guess Monday I'll try calling with this same question. I'm not the type to yell at anyone and I place a lot of the blame on USFS. I do think we are just a pain to them and if we would just send them our money and not show up they would be thrilled.

Oh, USFS still hasn't released the detailed competition/practice schedule. My email from the LOC blamed USFS and said they were sick of answering the question. I guess if I was sick of answering, I'd just put the information on the website schedule page that USFS has not released the detailed schedule. If that was on the page, I would not have asked again. I know I will never again give any LOC my money 2 years out and pay for anything like a shuttle without more information.

Now I have to get ready to enjoy the skating.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have been emailing the USFS and only on my enquires about the schedule do they ignore me. The schedule is only up on the Greensboro website participants portal, which was leaked here.....At this point, I can not blame the LOC unless the USFS tells me they gave the schedule to the LOC and no one put it up. Since doing so is not rocket science for the web page designer, I have to wonder what really is going on?
Chris wondering what the cab fare would have been for seven days to and from the one mile to the arena
Oh, USFS still hasn't released the detailed competition/practice schedule. My email from the LOC blamed USFS and said they were sick of answering the question. I guess if I was sick of answering, I'd just put the information on the website schedule page that USFS has not released the detailed schedule. If that was on the page, I would not have asked again. I know I will never again give any LOC my money 2 years out and pay for anything like a shuttle without more information.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, you got me...yes, I do now condone torture and the death penalty for program errors......however....wet noodleing might be in order....:)

BTW, the secret squirrel website portal "O" still has the old version of the schedule up and running.......don't know if it has changed.
I think Chris' statement was a bit tongue-in-cheek.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ahhhhh...those sneaky people have changed the schedule on us!!! Thanks to M for pointing this out....here is the new schedule....
The shuttle now leaves the DT at 7 am M-F

Silver Shuttle Schedule
Sheraton buses Depart Sheraton on the :15 and the :45 and depart the Coliseum on the :15 and :45
Hampton/Doubletree bus Departs Doubletree on the :00, Hampton on the :10, and Coliseum on the :40

Monday, January 19 7:15 am - 11:45 pm (first departure 7 am from Doubletree)
Thursday, January 22 7:15 am - 11:45 pm (first departure 7 am from Doubletree)
Sunday, January 25 11:15 am - 10:15 pm (first departure 11 am from Doubletree)

OK, now you have me confused...below is the shuttle schedule as posted . The way I read this is as follows. The shuttle leaves the doubletree on the hour (hence, :00)
On Monday, for instance, the shuttle starts at 7:15 so the first trip from the double tree would be at 08:00. Am I reading that right?

Silver Shuttle Schedule
Monday, January 19 7:15 am - 11:45 pm
Thursday, January 22 7:15 am - 11:45 pm
Sunday, January 25 11:15 am - 10:15 pm

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
How glad am I that we are arriving by car and will not require the services of the shuttle.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I would have to say that in this case, you are right. The last GB saw smaller shuttle buses that ran on the half hour during the day, IIRC. On the hour is not often enough and I suspect that they are economizing. It is only a mile from the hotels, after all. Anyone visiting with a friend/lover/wife would make money just by using cabs at this rate. The only thing a shuttle brings to the table is a bit of convenience and the possibility of a skater for a seat mate. I hope the fan fest food is good....we are gonna need it!

How glad am I that we are arriving by car and will not require the services of the shuttle.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I know Doris! If I had any idea that this was going to happen I would have planned a very different trip. I would have stayed close to the Hampton, but in a less expensive hotel/motel. I would not have purchased a shuttle pass and just rented a car. If Greensboro hosts again while I am still able to attend Nationals, I will not trust the LOC and just make my own arrangements.

The FanFest does have better real food (not just pizza and chips), but the hours this time are shorter (check out the closing time) and isn't open until Monday 1/19.

None of this will prevent me from attending and cheering on the skaters!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
acraven posted these links at FSU tonight: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...o-2015-us-nationals.86596/page-6#post-4421879

"A fellow fan has found a tentative detailed schedule (dated 12/28/14).

(Athletes and coaches have access to this info earlier than the general public.)

For those who prefer a list format over the color-coded matrix format:
Seems that ice-dance.com has taken the UNOFFICIAL schedule (from Dec 28) of practices and competitions, and reorganized information for the sessions for ALL disciplines into listings.
Nota bene: the content still is UNOFFICIAL.
http://eventcoverage.ice-dance.com/ms/usnationals15/images/2015USChampionshipsSchedulev122814.pdf

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
acraven posted these links at FSU tonight: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...o-2015-us-nationals.86596/page-6#post-4421879

"A fellow fan has found a tentative detailed schedule (dated 12/28/14).

Practice groups are also available, but it's possible that they, too, could change."

(Athletes and coaches have access to this info earlier than the general public.)

(1) UPDATED (as of Jan 8) color-coded matrix DRAFT schedule, incl. practice sessions:

(2) UPDATED (as of Jan 8) practice groups DRAFT (thanks to toddlj at FSU):

I have not cross-checked against the Dec 28 drafts of these documents ... don't know what the differences are.

ETA, update as of Jan 14:
Revisions to the championship pairs practice groups and practice schedule apparently are in the works.

Last edited:

Carolla5501

On the Ice
It's very interesting that apparently these are being released to the competitors but not to the general public.

USFSA Counts on us coming no matter what they do. I wonder at what point they push us too far?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
It's very interesting that apparently these are being released to the competitors but not to the general public.

USFSA Counts on us coming no matter what they do. I wonder at what point they push us too far?

Maybe they don't want the general public to know? Maybe it is new "security" or strategy. Maybe they want to avoid people showing up for one practice session for their favorite and nothing else.

I mean was this information this available back in the days of Kwan and Co?

To be blunt, maybe they don't want a lot of casual fans showing up to practice, but want the athletes to practice in peace. I am sure the people on this board have some idea of the unwritten etiquette of watching practices, as I assume there are unwritten rules. If there are enough people flocking for their first trip, maybe they don't want to make it too easy for the practice sessions to turn into a circus.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Maybe they don't want the general public to know? Maybe it is new "security" or strategy. Maybe they want to avoid people showing up for one practice session for their favorite and nothing else.

I mean was this information this available back in the days of Kwan and Co?

To be blunt, maybe they don't want a lot of casual fans showing up to practice, but want the athletes to practice in peace. I am sure the people on this board have some idea of the unwritten etiquette of watching practices, as I assume there are unwritten rules. If there are enough people flocking for their first trip, maybe they don't want to make it too easy for the practice sessions to turn into a circus.
No, that's not it. This is someone dropping the ball.

Casual fans bring in money and build the future of the sport. They know this. The local organizing committee want as many people in the building as they can get. They want as much attention locally as they can get. This is someone's snafu.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Casual fans bring in money and build the future of the sport. They know this. The local organizing committee want as many people in the building as they can get. They want as much attention locally as they can get. This is someone's snafu.

Fair enough. Just thought I would toss out obfuscation as an option. It still would be interesting to see what it was like back in the day.

Carolla5501

On the Ice
No, that's not it. This is someone dropping the ball. Casual fans bring in money and build the future of the sport. They know this. The local organizing committee want as many people in the building as they can get. They want as much attention locally as they can get. This is someone's snafu.

So how is dropping the ball accomplishing what you say that you want to accomplish. Inquiries to the LOC have been returned with the fact that they do not have permission to release the schedule yet. Ball dropping appears to occur at USFS

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Maybe they don't want the general public to know? Maybe it is new "security" or strategy. Maybe they want to avoid people showing up for one practice session for their favorite and nothing else. ...

.... But ticket sales are lagging behind where they were four years ago when the championships were in Greensboro for the first time. ....

Greensboro made a strong showing four years ago as host, with more than 110,000 attending the various skating events. Add to that 26,000 who attended the free FanFest events outside the main arena, and 25,000 others who watched practices and other events on a second rink.

Carrow said the goal this year is to at least match those numbers, if not surpass them. ....

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Gee, you don't think that might be because the COMPETITORS at Nationals are the ones who actually NEED to know? Shock, horror! :rolleye:

I wonder at what point some of the people in this thread will stop and think, gee, I wonder who's more important, a bunch of entitled fans or THE ACTUAL SKATERS WHO ARE COMPETING?

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Fair enough. Just thought I would toss out obfuscation as an option. It still would be interesting to see what it was like back in the day.

I'm not sure if I'm "back in the day" or not. My first Nationals was 1984. Most of the people I know who are now fervent fans, started as casual fans. I was one myself. When Nationals came to my city, I showed up for a Monday night practice. Paul Wylie was skating. My world changed. I know I'm not alone and my story is one of thousands.

My experience has been that most skaters are thrilled to have fans in the stands after skating in "lonely" rinks all year. I have seen some dumb and intrusive things happen at practice, but it's all part of the experience that skaters learn to manage.

As for this particular situation, my current thought is that we may have a chief referee who has, for some reason, not allowed the schedule to be published. The chief referee is the one in charge of the competition as such. After seeing the tweet above, I just had a thought - that might be the fly in the ointment.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Gee, you don't think that might be because the COMPETITORS at Nationals are the ones who actually NEED to know? Shock, horror! :rolleye:

I wonder at what point some of the people in this thread will stop and think, gee, I wonder who's more important, a bunch of entitled fans or THE ACTUAL SKATERS WHO ARE COMPETING?

Fine by me for the competitors to be notified before spectators.

But official practices start the day after tomorrow -- under 36 hours from now, if the latest bootleg schedule is correct.

If I were a fan who had paid thousands of dollars and was traveling a great distance for the full ten-day Nats experience, my patience would have run out by now.

Carolla5501

On the Ice
Gee, you don't think that might be because the COMPETITORS at Nationals are the ones who actually NEED to know? Shock, horror! :rolleye: I wonder at what point some of the people in this thread will stop and think, gee, I wonder who's more important, a bunch of entitled fans or THE ACTUAL SKATERS WHO ARE COMPETING?

Do you have any more sarcastic statements?
LOL