Interesting spin positions | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Interesting spin positions

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think in Natalie Krieg I have finally found someone that does an appealing A (butt) spin. :points:

Speaking of spins in the guys, I find Jason Brown's Camel Variation even more impressive that Joshua Farris's catchfoot camel. http://youtu.be/OhAD9FS6_ps?t=1m29s

As a complete spin, yeah, that is beautiful and I almost posted it. I love what he is doing with his free hand in that spin. It just adds sooo much. Interestingly, everyone was commenting on that part of his program/that spin during SA as well. It just really is a great example of a classically beautiful spin position.

Josh's i tossed out as it was a new position that I actually liked. And it was a position that look good rather than just looking uncomfortable. It actually did not look that hard (I still like the look, but in a why don't other skaters do it too) till i started to try it. When you can make something difficult and awkward look easy and sexy, you get points in my book!

I will also toss out Max Aaron's SP of a butt spin i can find acceptable. Grabbing your foot to Footlose. . . ok i can take it. Somehow I think it works with that goofy song. Plus I think Max meets the gallavich's butt spin standard.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Actually I think Patrick Chan does!!!!

Once again, people, Ina Bauer is not a spin.

Speaking of spins in the guys, I find Jason Brown's Camel Variation even more impressive that Joshua Farris's catchfoot camel. http://youtu.be/OhAD9FS6_ps?t=1m29s

As a whole spin Jason's looks better, but in terms of difficulty Joshua wins this prize. They both, however, have really great base camels.

I will also toss out Max Aaron's SP of a butt spin i can find acceptable. Grabbing your foot to Footlose. . . ok i can take it. Somehow I think it works with that goofy song. Plus I think Max meets the gallavich's butt spin standard.

I mean, no-one can object to, you know, Max's engine, but...sorry Max, I still hate this spin even on you. There is no-one I like to see doing it. All I can think every time is that there MUST be more attractive variations out there!

Warwick360

Medalist
As a whole spin Jason's looks better, but in terms of difficulty Joshua wins this prize. They both, however, have really great base camels.

Of course, no arguing about the difficulty. But putting aside the debate about difficulty, based on flexibility of stretch, that spin of Jason leaves me in awe since some ladies struggle to get enough speed with that stretch in a camel position (as was the case with So youn I believe in one of her GP even though her stretch is great in that position).

And talking about In Bauer, I know we're digressing, I simply loved Yuna's Ina Bauer in Vancouver Gala. http://youtu.be/2waMG5vNs4A?t=3m8s

And coming back to spin, relating to the recent thread of classic layback, I think this is my favourite classic layback from Yuna. http://youtu.be/2waMG5vNs4A?t=3m34s

mnm464

On the Ice
I love all of Yuna's spins tbh:cheer:

the classic layback is my favorite though it hurts to actually do...speaking of which,do you think that layback should be a required in ladies SP, given people with back issues?

Warwick360

Medalist
the classic layback is my favorite though it hurts to actually do...speaking of which,do you think that layback should be a required in ladies SP, given people with back issues?

Seeing Yuna's case with her back, part of me did wonder if there should be an alternative to it, but considering that it's a staple in the women's figure skating and also for it being a unique and almost exclusive part of ladies' skating, I think it is a spin that needs to stay.

Besides, only this season it came to my attention that gaining high level does not necessarily require a back aching position for the layback. The Eurosport guys were pointing out how Viktoria Helgesson was gaining levels by substituting need for extreme flexibility with edge changes and change of speed in rotation. Have a look for yourself, there's nothing impressive about her positions in terms of flexibility but still she was able to get level 4 on layback.

http://youtu.be/glM19yTPwZ0?t=1m56s

gkelly

Record Breaker
The requirement has long been "a layback or sideways-leaning spin." It's possible for most skaters without much back flexibility to do something that meets the requirements. But not having much flexibility certainly limits the variations one can achieve, which can make a big difference in base value under IJS. And being unable to achieve good quality positions could hurt under both judging systems.

I think the biggest problem is the incentive for skaters to attempt difficult flexibility moves even if they're not built for it and to risk injury in the process.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^ I remember wakababy, also got a level 4 on layback without beer man this season. I think Yuna attempted change of speed approach to increase her lay-back level at NRW sp, but eventually she dropped it. dont know current rules about Spin levels though.

I think lay-back should be required in ladies, it is so feminine beautiful and unique. but dont know if the skater should go to the point that hurts their body to achieve an extra level, it is all about trade-off. what is the best from holistic view.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I think any and all flexibility moves should not be required elements. No required spirals, no required laybacks. If you can do them, that's fine, you can do them. If you can't, you should not be disadvantaged. Liza has had terrible back injuries and I cringe every time I see her forcing her body into the layback/catchfoot positions.

And of course I am biased, since my own back is solid as a brick and as soon as I get to a level where a layback is required I'm stuffed.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I love all of Yuna's spins tbh:cheer:

Me, too! Her spins look very clean/polished which makes them aesthetically pleasing. Not to mention, it takes really great balancing skill to do her bent-leg lay over camel. And her spins are very musical as well.

I also like Yulia's broken-leg sit spin (imo the only spin she does that doesn't look stiff), Adelina's illusion spin, Lucinda Ruh's spin variations and Sasha Cohen's lay back. :)

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Me, too! Her spins look very clean/polished which makes them aesthetically pleasing. Not to mention, it takes really great balancing skill to do her bent-leg lay over camel. And her spins are very musical as well.
:)
agreed, not only musical but also dynamic and organic. Mirai's spin also share this quality.