What If (Figure Skating) | Golden Skate

What If (Figure Skating)

Skate2Music

Rinkside
Hello,

This forum is just for some theoretical fun, in which fans like us write a "what if" scenario based figure skating that's "somewhat" based on reality were the next person responds and leaves a scenario of their own.

What if.... Mao Asada had decided to become a pairs skater after the 2010 games?

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
She wouldn't have because there wouldn't be any Japanese partner for her, never mind a partner up to her level.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
She wouldn't have because there wouldn't be any Japanese partner for her, never mind a partner up to her level.

So we would have seen someone chance countries ;)

I want to know how Kristi Yamaguchi and Rudy Galindo would have done had they stuck with pairs.

Or what if Tanya Harding had snagged the bronze in '92? Would it have still been worth whacking a knee over if she had a medal? What would figure skating look like today without the attention kneegate gave it?

BedazzledSpins

Spectator
So we would have seen someone chance countries ;)

I want to know how Kristi Yamaguchi and Rudy Galindo would have done had they stuck with pairs.

Or what if Tanya Harding had snagged the bronze in '92? Would it have still been worth whacking a knee over if she had a medal? What would figure skating look like today without the attention kneegate gave it?

I also wonder what would have happened had Kristi and Rudy stuck to pairs.

heyang

Record Breaker
What if the 1994 Olympics wasn't the 1st year where the Olympics changed = the winter Olympics had been in 1996?
Nancy Kerrigan would've retired after 1992 - she only stayed in because of her 3rd place world finish and the next Olympics being just 2 years away.
Would Oksana have been as successful in 1996 vs 1994? Her body changed significantly after 1994.
Would Michele have won a 1996 Olympics - it probably would've been a battle between MK and Chen Lu....
Tara Lipinski probably wouldn't have won in 1996 - was she even skating senior level that year? Would her hip have held out til 2000?

corinthia

Rinkside
Would Michele have won a 1996 Olympics - it probably would've been a battle between MK and Chen Lu....
Tara Lipinski probably wouldn't have won in 1996 - was she even skating senior level that year? Would her hip have held out til 2000?

OMG, you are so right, I never thought of that, what an idea!

Tara actually was skating senior in 95-96 season, but didn't really come into her own until the following season... In the 95-96 season, she finished 3rd at Nationals and 15th at World's (a very bad nervy short 20th-something, big comeback to 1th in free and 15th overall).

And as for Michelle... she had a a lot of very good seasons, but 95-96 was *the* season where she really broke out in a big way, did a lot of international comps, and won almost *everything*, and without anybody else even seeming to really challenge her. I think there might have been one international comp in Russia where she was both sick and jetlagged and got a bronze, but that was just a single exception to a string of dominance that season...

So, yeah, while there is of course no way to know for sure what might have happened, given how Michelle seemed like she could hardly lose in 95-96, who knows what might have happened if the Olympics were held that year when they were "supposed to"...

:)

juuryokunashi

On the Ice
What if:

1) Asada Mao and Takahashi Daisuke decided to save TJ Pairs and become a pairs team for 2018?

or

2) Takahashi Daisuke and Suzuki Akiko decided to save TJ ice dance and form an ice dance team for 2018?

(I know, too Team Japan-centric, but seeing Dai/Akko and Dai/Mao during ice shows just gave me those nice thoughts I know the answer is 'fat chance' because Dai lacks the height. LOL) :D

Meoima

Match Penalty
What if Yagudin didn't get injured in his hip at Skate Canada after he won OG?
What if Navka still skated with Morozov? Lol

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Or if Anissina continued to skate with Averbukh? How many world championships would they have won?

heyang

Record Breaker
So, yeah, while there is of course no way to know for sure what might have happened, given how Michelle seemed like she could hardly lose in 95-96, who knows what might have happened if the Olympics were held that year when they were "supposed to"...

:)

95-96 was the year that Michele the artist came to be. 1996 World's was epic between Chen Lu and Michele - it could've really gone either way since both ladies gave phenomenal performances. The 'pressure' would've been less on Michele at a 96 Olympics. At 95 World's she finished 4th - so , media would've viewed her as someone in the hunt, but not the favorite. WIth Lulu winning 95 World's and Bobek in 3rd, the American media would've probably presented the Olympics as a battle between the 2.....

Now, it's hard to say how Bobek and others would've mixed in. Perhaps Bobek wouldn't have done the Nutcracker tour if the Olympics had been in 1996 and thus skated at Nationals in 1996 - likely making the team, instead of Tara.

Also, Rudy Galindo as 1996 Men's National champion would've gone to an Olympics as a competitor in the Men's discipline.

heyang

Record Breaker
I also wonder what would have happened had Kristi and Rudy stuck to pairs.

THis would likely have changed the course of history in ladies and mens skating. Would Kristi have attained Ladies' Olympic gold in 1992 if she had split her training time? Would Tonya Harding have been US Ladies National champ going to Albertville? Perhaps the Olympics would've been branded as the battle of the triple Axels in Midori vs Tonya , instead of as artist Kristi vs jumper Midori.

Would Rudy have skated switched to Men's singles if Kristi had not quit - perhaps not skating singles in 1996 to US gold and World Bronze?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
okay...what if the figures component made a come back? How would today's skaters fare? Who would win the figures portion? It would be interesting to see...:biggrin:

astronaut

Rinkside
And if Mao was old enough to the 2006 Olympics, she would have won?

Probably, yes.

What if the Canadians had won the gold in pairs in Salt Lake City 2002 and Kwan or Slutskaya had won ladies' gold in the same Olympics? Would we still have the good olde 6.0 scoring system? What if Sasha Cohen had won Olympic gold in 2006? Would she now be an international super star?

disclaimer: I have no problems with any of those Olympic results.

Mike

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What if the judges had done the right thing by Plushenko in Vancouver?

And, I suppose, the one that still chafes:

What if Max was in Sochi instead of Jeremy?