Thread: Olympic videos viewable on line

DORISPULASKI

Olympic videos viewable on line

Videos of Olympic skates from Henie to Yagudin

The above link was posted on fsuniverse. It has the complete Olympic LP of John Curry. And the most of Dick Button's skating I've ever seen.

Hope you enjoy!!!

DPP

Joesitz

Re: Olympic videos viewable on line

Wow - Henie, Fleming, Button, Curry, not easily handy to watch till now. Hope there are more from the 40s-70s.

Thanks, Doris

Joe

Custom Title

Thanks, Doris, for the link. Just watched them all. It was the first time I saw Curry skated. Really nice every jump was on beat the artistry in his routine still rival's today's male skaters. All button was doing was jump, jump, jump, again jump.

manleywoman

Where's Janet?

I loved all of them. Here's hoping for some Janet Lynn videos!

More more more!

skatingfan5

John Curry was wonderful -- Dick Button was first rate!

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>All button was doing was jump, jump, jump, again jump. [/quote]Well, to be fair to Dick Button, his Olympic free skate was nearly 30 years before John Curry's -- I have no idea what the free skate guidelines were back in 1948. I do know that there wasn't even a short program (that didn't come until the early 1970's), so the free skating specs may have been quite different -- and we only got a portion of his program (the voiceover was commenting on his jumping, so it stands to reason they'd focus on the jumps). No way to compare Button and Curry -- they were skaters from two very different eras -- but they both were the best of their time. I agree that John Curry's free skate would hold up very well to current men on the presentation mark (it was "artistic impression" back then) -- but in large part that's because so many men have put presentation far on the back burner in their pursuit of the big jumps. Maybe with the ISU's new Code of Points, we will again have men's free skates more like that clip of Dick's -- but will all of it after the 2:00 minute mark to earn the extra 1.1 bonus multiplier. :lol: Actually, I think this represents the worst fears of some skating fans -- I'm hopeful that it won't come to pass: two quads to open and then 5 or 6-triples in the last 2.5 minutes, with a couple of 3 rev "spins" interspersed.

megsk8z

Re: John Curry was wonderful -- Dick Button was first rate!

OOOooooohhhhhh.....John Curry!
    Thank you so much for this link.

nymkfan51

Re: John Curry was wonderful -- Dick Button was first rate!

Thanks Doris ... this is great!!!

lil icesk8er915

Thanks a TON DPP!

thvudragon

Anyone else surprised by John Curry's spins? Most of his spins were in the opposite direction, very interesting.

TV