Skating on a full or empty stomach? | Golden Skate

Skating on a full or empty stomach?

mnm464

On the Ice
What do you think?

I've found that if I don't eat before I practice, I feel low energy.If i eat even a little I feel not so great when I jump and spin. Any solutions?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Big lunch a couple of hours before practice. Does the trick beautifully, though I'm usually hungry by the time I get off.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
What do you think?

I've found that if I don't eat before I practice, I feel low energy.If i eat even a little I feel not so great when I jump and spin. Any solutions?

Protein shake prior. Breakfast of something like Oatmeal (sometimes I skip the protein shake and put the chocolate protein powder in my oatmeal with the Almond Milk.) That usually does me well for what I need to skate a session. I usually snack on something like fruit, granola, yogurt between sessions.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The USAFA S.T.A.R.S. program has these suggestions; (click on competition day fueling), with a quote from Jason Brown. Before adopting this program, he says, he would not eat in the three hours before competing, but now he feels "well fueled".

http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=48

Have no idea if it works or not, but if it was good enough for Jason, it would be good enough for me. :biggrin: