Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: ABC will no longer cover ISU events

  1. #1
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    74

    ABC will no longer cover ISU events

    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/05/sp...ll/05sand.html

    The piece on f.s. is at the bottom if you want to read it there, but this is what it says...

    "The world figure skating championships and other International Skating Union events that were broadcast by ABC Sports for many years will now be carried exclusively by ESPN and ESPN2. ABC had been losing money on its $22 million contract (in which ESPN shared some coverage), and it was not eager to continue. But ESPN announced yesterday that it had acquired a new four-year package, through 2007-8, at a bargain price of $5 million. Besides the world championships, the events also include the European championships and the Grand Prix series."

    This might not affect everyone, but it really stinks for anyone w/out cable or satellite (like me)! ABC's coverage could be cheesy, but at least I was able to watch some competitions! Now I'll miss everything except Nationals & the Olympics - this is very disappointing

  2. #2
    Custom Title Jhar55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Paducah, KY
    Posts
    1,285
    So does this mean good-bye to Dick and Peggy???

  3. #3
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    There doesn't seem to be any change in the presentations. Top four Ladies in the LP and top 3Men in the LP. Pairs if there is an American contender worth while and dance if Tanith and Benjamin are still up there. My advice is "Get Thee to Moscow"

    I'd also like them to telecast LIVE at any hour of the day.

    I hope Heather carries the ESPN showings correctly because my guide does not show ESPN in the afternoons.

    I do think Ms Kerrigan was being groomed for beomg commentator. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

    Joe
    Last edited by Joesitz; 05-05-2004 at 07:55 PM.

  4. #4
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,325
    It also stinks because it means $17 million less for figure skating. They have already announced that the prizes for the skaters in the Grand Prix will be less.

    Mathman

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    174
    I don't have cable or satellite, so I guess I will be totally out the loop when it comes to ISU events. Maybe I can't get some of my other skating fans to record the events for me.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,051
    Oh well. This was bound to happen.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    769
    This is going to hurt the skaters so much. They will lose more than money from not having the same opportunities to establish themselves with a strong fan base. The same can be said for the sport. There is one positive aspect to this, lack of money is a powerful catalyst for change. I live in hope.

    I don't worry too much about missing competitions. You can find so much on the net.

  8. #8
    Custom Title heyang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,207
    Will they show pro shows?

    Yes - Heather does list the ESPN broadcasts, as well as other networks (i.e. Lifetime for WOmen).

    Noticed in latest IFS that Ice Channel will be going on air January 2005. Call your cable companies.

  9. #9
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14
    This is curious. In my case is the oposite! i have cable and have both ESPN and ESPN2 but i dont have ABC, thus i can see more FS.

  10. #10
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,939
    ESPN and ABC are both owned by the same company. In the past, ABC off loaded the SP's to ESPN. So my question is, if ESPN owns the rights, will they offload the LP's, at least men and ladies, to ABC? I don't see why they wouldn't. In any case, want to bet it's the same commentators?

    Does anyone know whether Lifetime is also owned by ABC?

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,926
    Right now I have both ABC and espn (espn2 also) but my cable company has been threatening to discontinue espn since last year. Apparently espn is asking for too much money. If they don't show espn, I will be without any FS on my TV. That is hard to live with.

    Vash

  12. #12
    http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Scripps Ranch- A suburb of San Diego
    Posts
    817
    Originally posted by Vash01
    Right now I have both ABC and espn (espn2 also) but my cable company has been threatening to discontinue espn since last year. Apparently espn is asking for too much money. If they don't show espn, I will be without any FS on my TV. That is hard to live with.

    Vash
    Yeah, I had Cox Cable last year, and they threatened to drop ESPN (in San Diego); I switched to Time-Warner, and they're a heck of a lot better.

  13. #13
    Hell's Librarian
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    119
    Yes, Lifetime is also owned by Disney, who owns ABC and ESPN. In fact, the Disney family includes:

    ABC
    ABC Family
    The Disney Channel
    Toon Disney
    SoapNet
    ESPN Inc. (80% - Hearst Corporation owns the remaining 20%) includes ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, ESPN Now, ESPN Extreme
    Classic Sports Network
    A&E Television (37.5%, with Hearst and GE)
    The History Channel (with Hearst and GE)
    Lifetime Television (50%, with Hearst)
    Lifetime Movie Network (50% with Hearst)
    E! Entertainment (with Comcast and Liberty Media)
    Sportsvision of Australia (25%)
    Net STAR (33%) owners of The Sports Network of Canada
    Last edited by RoaringMice; 05-06-2004 at 09:29 AM.

  14. #14
    Mr. Michelle Kwan Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    426
    ABC, ESPN, and Lifetime are all part of the same family of companies somehow. Until now, broadcasts on ESPN and Lifetime were precisely the same as they were or would have been on ABC, save perhaps the fluff pieces. The shows had already been produced, and among all three channels, all they had to do was choose a channel and a time slot and it was Miller time.

    However, this development perhaps means that ABC will not be producing the broadcasts, although I suspect the production team will still be the same. (ESPN doesn't strike me as a channel that wants to break new ground in figure skating coverage.)

    What really irks me is that ESPN often shows figure skating on ESPN-2. ESPN-2 has a constant sports score crawl at the bottom of the screen which is annoying.

    There's no crawl over on ESPN, but in a way, it's worse -- at :02 and :32 past each hour, ESPN broadcasts a little musical chime, shrinks the screen, and updates the viewer on other sports scores and news with a temporary crawl. When you're watching a beautiful program set to beautiful music, that damned chime has got to go.

    I have to wonder if ABC will regret their decision after 2006.

  15. #15
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,686
    Originally posted by RoaringMice
    Yes, Lifetime is also owned by Disney, who owns ABC and ESPN. In fact, the Disney family includes:

    ABC
    ABC Family
    The Disney Channel
    Toon Disney
    SoapNet
    ESPN Inc. (80% - Hearst Corporation owns the remaining 20%) includes ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, ESPN Now, ESPN Extreme
    Classic Sports Network
    A&E Television (37.5%, with Hearst and GE)
    The History Channel (with Hearst and GE)
    Lifetime Television (50%, with Hearst)
    Lifetime Movie Network (50% with Hearst)
    E! Entertainment (with Comcast and Liberty Media)
    Sportsvision of Australia (25%)
    Net STAR (33%) owners of The Sports Network of Canada
    How impressive!! How did you find out this information??

    Dee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My Tapes For Trade/Sale
    By manhn in forum 2012-13 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-03-2005, 11:43 PM
  2. GP Schedules Up
    By attyfan in forum 2004-05 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 07-31-2005, 06:02 PM
  3. My List of Skating Tapes for Sale!
    By G MAN in forum 2012-13 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 06:58 PM
  4. ISU Makes Threat To Member Nations Re. Skaters That Pulled Out of GP
    By R.D. in forum 2004-05 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 01:18 AM
  5. Sasha Cohen Compilation Tape
    By TOLY aka QUADLUTZ in forum 2003-04 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2003, 01:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •