Review of "Encore, An Ice Spectacular" Cruise Ship Show | Golden Skate

Review of "Encore, An Ice Spectacular" Cruise Ship Show

Sjs5572

Final Flight
I just returned from a five day cruise on Royal Caribbean's "Liberty of the Seas." The ship features an ice rink, about one third the size of an official hockey surface. The rink is used for open skating, as well as performances of a terrific ice show entitled, "Encore, An Ice Spectacular." Four shows are scheduled for each sailing.

I was quite excited to see the show, since my internet research indicated that Amelie Lacoste was a headliner. I actually headed down to the first open skate of the sailing and met Amelie in person. After complimenting her on her Peter Gabriel SP, she was gracious enough to give me an autograph. I asked about her loop and flip....her best jumps imho. She explained that she did the 3L but not the 3F on board due to the limited ice surface.

I saw the first scheduled performance of the cruise. The first scene is POTO set in the West End of London, with all the masks and cheesefest accoutrement. The climax of Phantom featured a pairs team, not listed in the credits, that did great lifts, a two footed throw single salchow and no sbs skating. The premise for the rest of the show is that the Phantom haunts various theaters around the world.

The next act portrays a performance of Carmen in 1875 at the Paris Opera House. For any serious skating fan, this was the highlight of the show. An extremely handsome Alexander Goncharov (14th place Russian Nationals) and cute Victor Goncharov show off several double axels, a triple toe for Alexander and a triple lutz for Victor. Alexander also completes a very balletic serpentine step sequence. Next, gorgeous Amelie makes her appearance as Carmen in all of her seductive glory. Her solo features a double loop, double flip and excellent combination spin. Next, Alexander and Amelie skate together, completing perfect sbs double toes, and a beautiful inside edge ds.

The next act is set at the Kirov ballet, featuring festive Russian folklore costumes and skated to a Rimsky Korsokov composition. Beautiful to look at but no difficult tricks. This was followed by a Japanese kabuki number with stunning costumes but no triples.

Next came the epitome of cheesefest routines...."Guest Stars" Fred and Marina doing a bowling pins and rings juggling act on ice with audience participation. Despite myself, I did indeed enjoy their antics! Not to be outdone in the cheese department, the next act featured a comically overweight Elvis with showgirls at a theater in Vegas. Obviously, this sequence was required for a costume change for the final act.

The final city that the Phantom haunted was L.A. This act was second only to Carmen in terms of displayed technical prowess. Adorable Colin Grafton (USA, 8th Place Junior Worlds Pairs) performs a high energy routine in a grunge/valley boy/bare midriff ensemble, featuring a great triple salchow, traveling camels and a combination spin ending in a vertigo inducing scratch spin. This was followed by a daring pairs number performed by Cedric Laignier of France and Mayumi Namikoshi of Japan. The swoop lift at the end made me cringe!

P.S. Colin Grafton, the cutie, posed for a picture with me. If I was only 20 years younger....sigh!

Last edited by a moderator:

meepers

Rinkside
How cool! Thanks for sharing! I had no idea that cruise ship ice shows were of that caliber.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the review! I have seen two cruise ice shows in the past, one on Explorer of the Seas and one on LOS, but they were during my "non-skating" interregnum, so I did not know and did not look up the performers. From some of the comments on this Board in other threads, I do not think posters realize how good the skaters and the shows are and how impressively difficult to mount on those tiny rinks.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I just returned from a five day cruise on Royal Caribbean's "Liberty of the Seas." The ship features an ice rink, about one third the size of an official hockey surface. The rink is used for open skating, as well as performances of a terrific ice show entitled, "Encore, An Ice Spectacular." Four shows are scheduled for each sailing. ...

Thx for your detailed review, Sjs. :)

If anyone is interested, the Stupid Questions thread recently had a page of casual conversation about ice skating/rinks/shows on cruise ships. Posts #1411-1425 on page 95.

It was prompted by a new gallery of photos of ice shows on another Royal Caribbean ship. (The cast includes Brandon Mroz, another American cutie ;).)

Last edited:

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Thanks for the review! I have seen two shows, one on Explorer of the Seas and one on LOS, but they were during my "non-skating" interregnum, so I did not know and did not look up the performers. From some of the comments on this Board, I do not think posters realize how good the shows are and how impressively difficult to mount on those tiny rinks.

The only good thing about the dearth of professional opportunities for skaters is that the quality and technical ability in these cruise shows is downright spectacular. Also, seeing these jumps performed on a tiny rink only inches from my first row seat made me appreciate the fantastic difficulty/force/speed involved in landing double axels and triples.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Wow, it sounds like you had a great time on your holidays. I didn't know that Amelie Lacoste was retired until today. Thank you for the review.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If I was to ever go on a cruise, I want it to be one with an ice rink. I would love to skate on a cruise ship just to see how my balance and elements would be affected.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Glad to hear there are some employment opportunities for retired competitive skaters -- too bad the rinks are so small. Kudos to them for the spectactular feats they perform on a small surface. Sounds like a great opportunity to travel around and enjoy themselves a little after they have worked so hard for their skills.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you for your detailed and excellent review. I always wondered about how good the skating shows were
on cruises, happy that you got to see a first rate show and chatted with Amelie, I always liked her skating.

deedee1

Record Breaker
:love: Thank you so much for your great review, Sjs5572! :) I always loved Amelie's deep edges and effortless skating. Idk I'm more fascinated and jealous about though; the great ice show or your wonderful vacation on a cruiseship. ;)

It was prompted by a new gallery of photos of ice shows on another Royal Caribbean ship. (The cast includes Brandon Mroz, another American cutie ;).)

Wow, it's so nice to see Brandon skating with a smile again! I felt so heartbroken to see him compete at US Nats and have to skate widh difficulties in the last couple of years... He looked so promising when he placed 2nd at Nats in his debut season on the senior circuit, you know. Hopefully this season's time off from competitive skating will help and inspire Brandon to get back his love for skating. :yes:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks for sharing. Interesting, I've seen Instagram photos from Lacoste so I was aware that she was performing on cruise ships but it's cool to see an actual review of the show.

Was the rink inside or outside?

emdee

Final Flight
I have seen a number of ice shows on board.
Have seen Jodeyn Higgins,
Shawn Sawyer
Vaughan Chipeur
And Joey Russell to name a few.
It's usually a colourful and fun show with one or two stars doing solos.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Thanks for sharing. Interesting, I've seen Instagram photos from Lacoste so I was aware that she was performing on cruise ships but it's cool to see an actual review of the show.

Was the rink inside or outside?

It's performed in an indoor theater, with the rink surrounded on three sides by about 350 seats.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ah so it's like a stage then. Cool, thanks.

I've only been on one cruise but I remember it being a really awesome experience. The ship didn't have an ice rink but it did have a theater and a stage (among other things).

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Having sailed on the RCCL ships with rinks, the rinks are on the lowest deck of the ship. (usually the most stable area. The arial gymnasts in the theaters on decks 6 or 7 have it much worse). The rink is a typical rink in that it is the lowest point in the room, surrounded by seats that start at rink level and proceed upwards. As the OP stated upstream, you *really* get a sense of the speed and the athleticism involved, the seats are *really* close to the rink. Space on a ship is at a premium.

This is a great venue for adagio pairs teams, which feature a lot lifts and acrobatics more or less "in place." Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the professional novelty acts (jugglers, etc.) don't get paid more than the regular skaters.