2015 Canadian Nationals Pairs SP Jan 23 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2015 Canadian Nationals Pairs SP Jan 23

rain

Record Breaker
That was really well skated by all the teams in general. Really impressed with I/M. Tons of potential. To think they left points on the table after their excitement got the better of them at the end of the program. Their speed was right up there already and she looks light as a feather when Dylan lifts her. She has those classic Russian lines and positions that really add a great dimension to the partnership. I really liked him with M-T, but I have to say I think this pairing has more international potential.

I also really liked Purich and Wolfe. They are so well-matched they have tons of potential. To be honest, I enjoyed watching them much more than M-T/M.

D/R were way above the rest of the field. Really happy to see them lay it down once again. They'll need that kind of performance at worlds, where I know top of the podium is their goal.

MeaganSkater

On the Ice
Is he Sebastian Wolfe's (who skated with Jessica Dube) brother?

I asked him and his mother once about this since at first glance they both do have some resemblence but she did confirm indeed that there is no relation whats so ever as Drew grew up in Calgary Alberta before moving to Quebec where as Sebastian was born and lived in Quebec his entire life.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I asked him and his mother once about this since at first glance they both do have some resemblence but she did confirm indeed that there is no relation whats so ever as Drew grew up in Calgary Alberta before moving to Quebec where as Sebastian was born and lived in Quebec his entire life.

Thanks for the info. :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I thought it was a strongly skated competition. Not really perfect skates outside of D/R, but a lot of potential.

I/M looked incredible on the SBS jumps and the throw. It's amazing how much cohesion they already have. The performance did fizzle a bit in the second half, with the steps and the out-of-sync spins. Still, their lift entry is :shocked:.

With M-T/M v.2, I still like watching Kirsten, but not so much her partner. On the throw, it looked like he didn't give her much to work with... though she still managed to land it and go into her trademark spread eagle. Their lift is quite difficult, but it looks laboured when they change positions. I do think they have potential, and I wish Kirsten all the best. It seems like so many people vehemently dislike them for some reason, and it does make me root for them a little more.

I don't know what changed over the summer... how did Duhamel/Radford get so consistent (on their SPs, at least)? They obviously have the polish that new partnerships don't have. I also have new-found appreciation for... their twist, of all things. Next to the Chinese pairs on the GP circuit, it just looks average. But here, it's a tremendous step up from all their competitors. Regardless of my feelings for their artistry or programs, I have to commend them again and again for how they've pushed the technical envelope.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
His lifts irk me, the posture, the hard entrance where he flips her, he looks like he can barely lift her after

I would have thought that Marinaro would have an easier time lifting Kirsten than he did his former partner, Margaret Purdy. Margaret was about half a foot taller than Kirsten, so Michael should find it easier to lift Kirsten (in theory, anyway).

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I would have thought that Marinaro would have an easier time lifting Kirsten than he did his former partner, Margaret Purdy. Margaret was about half a foot taller than Kirsten, so Michael should find it easier to lift Kirsten (in theory, anyway).

He does seem to have an easier time lifting K than M, but it looks like he's still having a bit of difficulty lifting K.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I adore I/M but I have always adored Lubov. She's just special. Beautiful skater.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Can anyone tell if Mt/M, I and M, Dylan and his partner - are they able to compete against the Americans? The Americans seem to get a better review and quad twists to boot.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
About Marinaro's lift technique - I watched Marinaro Purdy videos, and there were times he lifted her with ease, other times the lift didn't even get up. In the long program, the problem lift would change. Sometimes the first one would be executed cleanly but the second fall apart, and vice versa. When the lifts were clean, they looked easy. I guess whatever his lift issues might be they aren't really about the weight of his partner, although a tiny partner could probably compensate more for any problems, and someone less small, expose them. I haven't nailed down what's going on when they don't work. The MTM2 lift needs mileage, particularly on the position change, but I think they're smart to keep it. Elsewhere in their short program, there's a part of the ending footwork section, at the beginning, in the corner, where they seem to lose speed and even have issues getting themselves sorted. I wonder why they don't change it. It happens every time in that same spot.

Very pleased with Seguin/Bilodeau's showing, and, of course, Iliushechkina and Moscovitch.

tulosai

Record Breaker
He does seem to have an easier time lifting K than M, but it looks like he's still having a bit of difficulty lifting K.

This. At least with K he gets the lifts up. By the end with M he only got them up about 2/3 to 3/4 of the time. I do think the issue is with him in this partnership though- she is short and tiny enough that he should be able to easily get her up. If the issue is partly that for right now they need a less difficult entrance then they should change it. Maybe he needs to bulk more, maybe he needs to work on his posture, who knows. But they really should invest some time into figuring this out. She is only 4' 11" so his finding a tinier partner is at best highly unlikely.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
His posture isn't very good, but I suspect it's technique/timing. Somebody needs to break it down and fix it. There were times watching both MTM2 and Marinaro Purdy I'd wonder if part of it was issues with multitasking or some other focus thing, but he seemed pretty focused today. MTM2 were pretty clean and are in fourth, I'd guess, because they don't have the quality basic skating and element execution compared to those ahead of them.

I guess actually skating at Canadians after all they went through to become a team was incredibly emotional for Ilushechkina Moscovitch, so kudos for them for the speed and nailing the big tricks, with a particularly eye-catching throw triple lutz. I haven't found S&B's short on line yet and I'm dying to see it.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Luba and Dylan, as a new Pair, have such chemistry and connection. I loved their performance. They will have great success with a little more time together. It would be very interesting if they were to compete in the next Olympics. :)