2015 Canadian Nationals Men's SP Jan 23 | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2015 Canadian Nationals Men's SP Jan 23

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good or bad, Kevin was many years next to Patrick by helping to obtain seats for Canada.
Do not forget that last year Canada had 3 seats for Olympics. US only 2 and they have many good men.
He can recover. He needs training.
I wish him all the best.

Same here, but I'm SCARED he's going to quit. I'm trying to hope for the best. But it's really hard right now.

You're right. The amount of training he needed was much more than 4-5 weeks. I had every right to be nervous. I feel like I know when something's going to happen.

phaeljones

On the Ice
I don't get it, is he injured? If not, then why is he withdrawing? If he can't even handle the pressure of competing then he should just retire. . .

This is a valid observation because it has now been two years of extreme difficulty and absence. Kevin Reynolds is one of my favorite skaters, but if he wants Skate Canada to believe in him, he has to at least show up. He may have a valid reason for withdrawing, but after a long time, his past reputation becomes further and further from the present and his absence/poor skating becomes more of a habit defining his character as a skater. .

I think the boot problems are a valid reason for withdrawal. I'm wondering if maybe he will decide to seek additional coaching after this, even if he stays with McLeod (unless he already has sought additional coaching recently, I'm personally not sure).

He has to do something drastic to crawl back from his present situation.

I'm sorry if what I'm saying is coming across as insensitive I'm not trying to be insensitive, just realistic. Besides, even you have to admit, it looks very bad for someone to withdraw from a competition just because they bombed their SP. That's an excuse, not a reason.

It does.

Regards Kevin, it's all in his head. I think the boots issue is 99% psychological. It may start with physical fitting problem, but when you change hundreds of boots in two years, it went way beyond that. There is no chance of him back to peak form until he sorts out his head. Just my cents.

He has always appeared to be very sensitive to pressure, often making his skating difficult to predict or rely upon even in the good years. Also, just to make a point here, it has to be fundamental that it is the skater's issue if he can't find skates. If he can never find skates that fit, the sport is just not for him anymore.

It's a valid question to ask, because even beore this boot problem this season, Kevin has struggled with consistency for a number of years now. He kind of has the same issues as Jeremy Abbott and Emmanuel Sandhu (who was also coached by Joanne McLeod). So it's definitely a key point in Kevin's career where he will have to decide whether he wants to continue, or whether he wants to make a major change.

Yes, the time has come where, if he wants back in, he is going to fix his problems. He has problems he has to overcome and it ain't just his skates.

sabinbenea

Rinkside
Same here, but I'm SCARED he's going to quit. I'm trying to hope for the best. But it's really hard right now.

You're right. The amount of training he needed was much more than 4-5 weeks. I had every right to be nervous. I feel like I know when something's going to happen.

Don't be scared. BE SUPPORTIVE ! He needs support in such difficult times for him.
Maybe we're going to see him on 4CC.
Who knows what will decide Skate Canada…

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't be scared. BE SUPPORTIVE ! He needs support in such difficult times for him.

I'm trying to be supportive as I can by sending positive messages to him. How do we know he'll be at the 4CC.

The uncertainty of the decision is what's making me scared. He's been through a living nightmare with the devil for the past two seasons. :( So unfair.

It's hard.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

Listen to these wise words, cheerknithanson. Kevin does not need more bad energy, and worrying and feeling devastated are as bad as bashing him when he's in shock and devastated. How do you think Kevin will react if he reads your words and knows how you feel?

Kevin is most likely stronger than you and will come out of this to keep his fight. You need to come out of this negative spiral you got yourself into willfully from a while back. It does you and Kevin no good but harm. Be in the state of mind you wish him to be. Send him love, goodwill, white light, hope, faith, and encouragement. Convey your support to him and act supportive, not needy of support yourself.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Listen to these wise words, cheerknithanson. Kevin does not need more bad energy, and worrying and feeling devastated are as bad as bashing him when he's in shock and devastated. How do you think Kevin will react if he reads your words and knows how you feel?

Kevin is most likely stronger than you and will come out of this to keep his fight. You need to come out of this negative spiral you got yourself into willfully from a while back. It does you and Kevin no good but harm. Be in the state of mind you wish him to be. Send him love, goodwill, white light, hope, faith, and encouragement. Convey your support to him and act supportive, not needy of support yourself.

You're right. I got to try and think positive and give him more positivity. But I'm definitely not going to be in a super peppy mood.

Sorry guys. Sorry for me showing this behavior.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't think it is time to pull the plug. IN fact, I wish he tried to skate the long program - I guess he can't change his mind (unless his injury or the boots are causing that much pain of course) to compete. He actually is close enough that he could still have climbed back on the team - in fact even get the second spot if he somehow skated as well as he did at 4ccs a few years ago - however, I strongly suspect he hasn't had much time to really train and maybe those boots still are a problem. I do agree a major transformation or rather building needs to occur - find out who he is and work on thos ur's and jumps - the potential is there. As for style, i just think he needs to find out who he is and yes maybe it is reputation, bad luck, karma or maybe Joanne MacLeod is a better novice/junior coach but, and again maybe this is the fo cus and not fully true, her skaters seem to not fully develop ie. Mira Leung and Reynolds - did she have Sandhu too??? If there is no othe reason to leave MacLeod it might be for a different approach and perspective. But this is the time for Kevin to fight, build and become the best Kevin Reynolds :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
You're right. I got to try and think positive and give him more positivity. But I'm definitely not going to be in a super peppy mood.

Sorry guys. Sorry for me showing this behavior.

Making a choice is a good start. Just keep in the positive direction. Do something that usually makes you happy or at least demands your focus. Be mindful of the moment. Pay full attention on cheerleading when you cheerlead, and everything else you do.

Empathy is not necessarily love or compassion. Over empathizing with out of control projection and imagination only hurts you and the one you care so much about. Imagine if that's what you need or want if you were the one in his situation.

Stay with the cheer in your name, knit and love your Hanson and Kevin.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Making a choice is a good start. Just keep in the positive direction. Do something that usually makes you happy or at least demands your focus. Be mindful of the moment. Pay full attention on cheerleading when you cheerlead, and everything else you do.

Empathy is not necessarily love or compassion. Over empathizing with out of control projection and imagination only hurts you and the one you care so much about. Imagine if that's what you need or want if you were the one in his situation.

Stay with the cheer in your name, knit and love your Hanson and Kevin.

I'm going to have to focus hard today.

Thanks for the advice.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you all for cluing me about Roman S. I found a video of his short. I am impressed.

I know the headline is "Reynolds" but it should be "Young Blood"

I assume this is his first Nationals, but the kid just went out and skated his program.

No drama and no headcasing.

He's probably going to medal at his first Nationals at 15, and things should only go up from there as he develops strength and maturity.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'm going to have to focus hard today.

Thanks for the advice.

Don't try too hard or force something you don't believe on yourself. Instead of finding worse and worse thoughts, find better and better thoughts. E.g. Start with Kevin is safe and sound, feeling calmer than yesterday, and so are you. Find all the things that are perfect at this moment you should be grateful for instead of taking for granted. Think how Kevin will turn around and be stronger. Go wild with positive imagination but accept what is and the fact that you don't know what is best for him in his life and probably not your own either. That are no failures, just stepping stones.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thank you all for cluing me about Roman S. I found a video of his short. I am impressed.

I assume this is his first Nationals, but the kid just went out and skated his program.

No drama and no headcasing.

He's probably going to medal at his first Nationals at 15, and things should only go up from there as he develops strength and maturity.

Yes. Nam and Roman are very impressive and needed young blood, boding very well for themselves and Canadian skating. I am also very happy for Jeremy, a beautiful skater who deserves some glory after all the hard times he went through. He is such a good model of positivity in all situations. I'd love to see him on top of the podium. Nam will surely be on top sooner or later, possible as soon as today. He has the winner mindset and if he lands his quad, the crown is his.

eta. Nam is 16 and he will be the youngest Canadian Men Champ if he wins today, courtesy of Patrick's sabbatical.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't try too hard or force something you don't believe on yourself. Instead of finding worse and worse thoughts, find better and better thoughts. E.g. Start with Kevin is safe and sound, feeling calmer than yesterday, and so are you. Find all the things that are perfect at this moment you should be grateful for instead of taking for granted. Think how Kevin will turn around and be stronger. Go wild with positive imagination but accept what is and the fact that you don't know what is best for him in his life and probably not your own either. That are no failures, just stepping stones.

Thanks for the advice again. I'm going to try to do that.

kresslia

Medalist
Exactly! As humans we're naturally drawn to the drama I suppose of the Reynolds situation, but there are real positives to be taken from this short. Nam and Roman made it look easy out there for such young skaters.

rain

Record Breaker
What I really noticed about Nam is that he's such a natural performer. He played with the audience in a way that reminded me of Kurt Browning. To have that at such a young age already is a real boon. His biggest area that needs work is speed, speed, speed.

peg

Medalist
What I really noticed about Nam is that he's such a natural performer. He played with the audience in a way that reminded me of Kurt Browning. To have that at such a young age already is a real boon. His biggest area that needs work is speed, speed, speed.

He had that as a 12-year-old. It really is pretty innate

Things are going to get interesting if Roman starts getting the big jumps. He kind of reminds me of Patrick Chan in the sense that e has great SS and maturity and ease on the ice.