Recent video of Elizaveta Tuktamysheva practising 3A | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Recent video of Elizaveta Tuktamysheva practising 3A

About the risk-reward equation, I think Mao Asada was a special case. There was a lot of discussion about whether she would win more medals if she dropped the triple Axel, which wasn't always successful, and concentrated instead on maximizing the points for the other elements.

Mao would have none of it. "I am Mao Asada. This is what I do!" :bow:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
About the risk-reward equation, I think Mao Asada was a special case. There was a lot of discussion about whether she would win more medals if she dropped the triple Axel, which wasn't always successful, and concentrated instead on maximizing the points for the other elements.

LIKE!!!! (When will GS have a like button??)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I seem to remember another Japanese female skater doing triple triple triple combinations at the Olympics practices - not saying she freaked at her competitors, but she did win the gold ;)
Shizuka Arakawa. :) (Poor Irina and Sasha though...)

That's not true, despite often being underscored, her 3a in particular gave her good goe at the 2014 worlds she got 10.36 point for her 3a that's almost two whole points in goe.
She received good GOE that one time (and then proceeded to get a UR call for her 3A in the LP, I might add). Generally she didn't receive "special consideration" from the judges because she did triple axel. Instead, she received a lot of scrutiny and low-balled GOE. See: 2010 Olympics and 2010 Worlds--where she did the maximum number of triple axels and didn't win a single segment.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

:thumbsup:

LIKE!!!! (When will GS have a like button??)

:thumbsup:

emma

Record Breaker

I know, on both counts - was being cryptic for no good reason!

And I "like" the above posts too!!! I think we should get t-shirts or bumper stickers of something with: I'm Mao Asada, this is what I do! on them :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Skating triple axels as we all know in practise is different than competition. Getting them consistent is also hard too. Mao at least at some point in her career had triple triple potential including with the loop as the second jump - I am not sure what was best - because it isn't just the base value you need to consider - you need to look at what will you or can you land the best or most and how much GOE you can get. Still it could be advantageous to do a triple axel in the second half and fall compared to a clean double axel with positive GOE's (not sure even a plus 3 would be more than a fully rotated but fall on a 3A.)

mary01

Final Flight

She received good GOE that one time (and then proceeded to get a UR call for her 3A in the LP, I might add). Generally she didn't receive "special consideration" from the judges because she did triple axel. Instead, she received a lot of scrutiny and low-balled GOE. See: 2010 Olympics and 2010 Worlds--where she did the maximum number of triple axels and didn't win a single segment.

I agree about her not getting any consideration and was often a subject to alot of crazy scutiny, but overall she had quite a few 3As with good goe, but i do understand what you mean with her often not getting the goe she deserves, in many of her programs the commentators often complain about how low her scores are, compared to what they expected. Many of Mao' qualities are often overlooked and as a result not often reflected in her scores, and like you mentioned 2010 worlds and Olympics are good examples of exactly that happening. Her 3A i such a gourges jump, hope we will get to see it in competition again :bow:

Last edited:

chezzu

On the Ice
Guess she really wanted to increase the gap between her and Radionova. Frankly I'm shocked, she is doing so well with the previous layout :eek:

Good luck to Liza!

Noolan

On the Ice
Wait a second, he says "we will decide whether to include it or not by the end of January" in that interview. So it may not happen this season. I guess the meaning was lost in translation.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think we would see it attempted at WTT or some event after Worlds. It is simply too risky to attempt at Euros and Worlds, not only because of a fall but also because of the strong possibility that the program could completely unravel if she misses the 3A.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Wow! :jaw:
Midori's 3A is incredible.

I think it is going to be a looooooooooooong time before we get another Midori Ito. She had all the jumps and if only CoP was in place when she was a competitor, she would probably have outscored, outjumped and outskated even Yuna Kim. Her transitions and exceptional ease of generating pace and one foot skating would have given her incredible SS and TR scores on the PCS. For a lady who is not even 5 ft, her jumps are scary high and that demi leg wrap clearly worked for her. I think it actually prevented her also from over rotating. Her 3A is very different from Mao Asada. Mao probably depended more on tight, fast rotations while Midori's was more that the jump height gave her the time to complete 3.5 revs. Sort of like vault up before she starts rotating. Certainly she would have gotten +3 GOEs easily with the height, distance, speed and delayed rotation.

Of course amongst the current crop of ladies, Liza Tuks jumps are the best quality. I think the good jump basics was what allowed her to regain them even after the whole puberty thing - even though she gained height, curves and all that readjustment.

rite of spring

Rinkside
Just saw her practice video. Good job:thumbsup:
A small chance the take off might get penalized by a strict panel. That would be terribly harsh but seen it happen, it's figure skating after all :sarcasm:
Anyway nice post and hope to see it succeed in a competition. Also would be great if she could work on her skating and transitions next season. I know I'm a little greedy but really want to see her get better.