Sui/ Han's Throw Quad! GOE+2 | Golden Skate

Sui/ Han's Throw Quad! GOE+2

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
That actually looked quite beautiful, unlike most quad throws I've seen (though I wish I didn't need to crane my neck to watch it :laugh:). Hopefully they can improve their consistency and PCS, because then they'll rule the world.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Wow! It seems like the quad throws/twists are to Chinese pair's as 3A are to Japanese ladies. :dance:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Wow! They tried it several times earlier in their career, but I believe they two footed it most of the time. They have great technique, considering their small height difference.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The Russians must be in awe and panicking. All the Russian teams are lacking difficulty. K and S are lacking individual jumps and consistency - it might sadly be age too. V and T and S and K don't have the big throws, lifts or twists (quads) or super difficulty and their individual jumps are pretty solid but not hard compared to Duhamel and Radford. Although unlikely it is possible the Chinese and Candians could beat all the Russians (well two or three Chinese and Duhamel and RAdford

QuadThrow

Medalist
The Russians must be in awe and panicking. All the Russian teams are lacking difficulty. K and S are lacking individual jumps and consistency - it might sadly be age too. V and T and S and K don't have the big throws, lifts or twists (quads) or super difficulty and their individual jumps are pretty solid but not hard compared to Duhamel and Radford. Although unlikely it is possible the Chinese and Candians could beat all the Russians (well two or three Chinese and Duhamel and RAdford

I am not sure. V/T got GOE +3 in almost every throw last year.

V/T (3Tw4 8,30; 3LoTh 7,10; 3STh 6,60)
D/R (GPF) (3Tw3 7,20 ;4STh 8,71; 3LzTh 6,80)

There is only a difference of 0,71!

The difference in concerning the Base Value is 3,60 (not that high either)

I do not think that it is fair, But that is the system of pair skating.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It really isn't fair. Not to mention even if V/T make errors on their throws they still get +GOE whereas teams like K/S, S/H and D/R have executed clean quad throws and get only -1s, 0's or 1's.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
It really isn't fair. Not to mention even if V/T make errors on their throws they still get +GOE whereas teams like K/S, S/H and D/R have executed clean quad throws and get only -1s, 0's or 1's.
The problem is so few teams do a quad throw that looks any good. S/H's looks nice in the air but is usually two-footed. D/R's has a very swingy landing. K/S can get the throw around, but it doesn't scream QUAD! in an impressive way. Imo, the BV is the problem. (I don't agree with V/T's Sochi GOE, but the jury's still out on whether it'll continue).

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Yeah, this one is often cited as one of the best quad throws. Can't say I disagree. :) Maybe Hao Zhang will bring it back with Cheng Peng sometime?

Back to the topic of Sui/Han... what do they need to do to increase that PCS? I think they do have presentation skills (like Eurosport has said many times)... but somehow they're just not pulling those marks. More speed/better SS? Consistency? Better programs? :think:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yeah, this one is often cited as one of the best quad throws. Can't say I disagree. :) Maybe Hao Zhang will bring it back with Cheng Peng sometime?

Back to the topic of Sui/Han... what do they need to do to increase that PCS? I think they do have presentation skills (like Eurosport has said many times)... but somehow they're just not pulling those marks. More speed/better SS? Consistency? Better programs? :think:

I think it's consistency. To me, they're doing everything correctly. Their biggest "issue" is their age, or rather, how young they look - other couples have the luxury of "looking mature". Like Radionova, they have to continually skate strong performances to increase their PCS marks. Their skating skills and presentation are excellent for what they've got to work with (i.e. shedding the "juniorish" quality). They could use more speed, but everything's there. To be honest, they just need to skate consistently and keep doing that. I'm so impressed at how much more refined they are and how nuanced their choreo has become, unfortunately, they still look like kids which is obviously something they can't control.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Hah, I think that's what I love most about their throws... they seem to have no regard for control or safety and he literally throws her knowing she'll somehow land it no matter how high or far he flings her. :laugh:

judging by second throw from this video it looks to me like they were practicing even throw quad flip, she finished that rotation very much in the air :shocked:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think it's consistency. To me, they're doing everything correctly. Their biggest "issue" is their age, or rather, how young they look - other couples have the luxury of "looking mature". Like Radionova, they have to continually skate strong performances to increase their PCS marks. Their skating skills and presentation are excellent for what they've got to work with (i.e. shedding the "juniorish" quality). They could use more speed, but everything's there. To be honest, they just need to skate consistently and keep doing that. I'm so impressed at how much more refined they are and how nuanced their choreo has become, unfortunately, they still look like kids which is obviously something they can't control.
I think they're in an even tougher position than "young-looking ladies skaters." There is a fairly strong tradition in women's singles of young success stories (Lipinski, Baiul, Hughes, Kwan, Lipnitskaya) However, it's hard to think of a very young-looking pairs team that the judges went with.

When I look at the scores, it seems like S/K and D/R with multiple errors would still place ahead. I don't want to join the "overscored Russians and Canadians!!" train, because many such claims are unfounded. But I do wonder... imagine if Sui/Han had been at the Olympics and had two perfect, breath-taking skates. Would the judges have given them silver like they gave S/K? Somehow I doubt that, regardless of how many errors their opponents make.

Anyway, they're still young, and I don't think the judges will ignore them forever. I'm probably fretting over nothing. For this season, a first World medal wouldn't be bad. :)