Stretching into Biellmann Position | Golden Skate

Stretching into Biellmann Position

lbc2138

On the Ice
Hello,

Wanted to gather different types of resources to help gain the flexibility into holding a good Bielmann position. Off-ice, I think it's referred to as the scorpion position that cheerleaders do. Sort of something I wanted to achieve in the new year, would ideally like to be able to do this before getting on ice.

Would anyone agree/disagree with how to go about doing the stretch in this video? Thanks in advance! Happy training!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq1C2q9Gh98

MalAssada

Medalist
Hi! I will start this post with the obvious about me: I am not a professional and all I am saying is probably crap, but it is what I have garnered so far from YouTube videos since I am trying to get a biellmann as well for the new year.

It requires flexibility in three areas: Shoulders, back and legs.

Back: bridge and backbend, if you can, will help you, as well as a basic cobra position in yoga.
Legs: when on your splits, bend the back leg and arch your back, trying to touch your, possible, left foot in your head.
Shoulders: I do know an exercise but I cannot find words to describe it.

For stretches in general, I like the channel Psyche Truth. That was how I got my splits down and hopefully my biellmann as well. They have a scorpion tutorial but unfortunately my internet is barely enough to write this message, let alone search or watch an YouTube video.

And a general tip, not only for biellmanns but any other position: if it exists under another name in gymnastics, look for YouTube videos under this name as you will get plenty of results, since gymnastics is a much more popular sport than figure skating.

I am sorry, not what you were expecting, but I hope it was somehow useful. Good luck!

pooh-beanie

Rinkside
I have always stretched on my own, with fairly good results.
Please always keep in mind that these things take time and consistency, even after you have the positions.
I have a left oversplit, so a Biellmann position came easily (I rotate counterclockwise)
Like bellflower said, Biellmann positions need piable backs, shoulders and legs, but I have found that wrists and ankles and hips are also quite important.
I don't stretch using outside resources, so please don't take my word for anything, and I'm sorry this isn't quite what you were looking for, but I think the basis of a good biellmann comes from a nice, solid, consistent split. Afterwards, you can start on wall splits (charlotte position) in order to get your hamstrings and hips looser.
Personally, I find that stretching for the position in my skates is best- i have a good hold on the free blade that i don't when i'm stretching off ice
In addition, once you've achieved grabbing your foot or blade with one or both hands, remember to push upwards. you should feel a stretch in your shoulder(s), spine, and maybe your hamstrings.
good luck!

lbc2138

On the Ice
Hi! I will start this post with the obvious about me: I am not a professional and all I am saying is probably crap, but it is what I have garnered so far from YouTube videos since I am trying to get a biellmann as well for the new year.

It requires flexibility in three areas: Shoulders, back and legs.

Back: bridge and backbend, if you can, will help you, as well as a basic cobra position in yoga.
Legs: when on your splits, bend the back leg and arch your back, trying to touch your, possible, left foot in your head.
Shoulders: I do know an exercise but I cannot find words to describe it.

For stretches in general, I like the channel Psyche Truth. That was how I got my splits down and hopefully my biellmann as well. They have a scorpion tutorial but unfortunately my internet is barely enough to write this message, let alone search or watch an YouTube video.

And a general tip, not only for biellmanns but any other position: if it exists under another name in gymnastics, look for YouTube videos under this name as you will get plenty of results, since gymnastics is a much more popular sport than figure skating.

I am sorry, not what you were expecting, but I hope it was somehow useful. Good luck!

I have always stretched on my own, with fairly good results.
Please always keep in mind that these things take time and consistency, even after you have the positions.
I have a left oversplit, so a Biellmann position came easily (I rotate counterclockwise)
Like bellflower said, Biellmann positions need piable backs, shoulders and legs, but I have found that wrists and ankles and hips are also quite important.
I don't stretch using outside resources, so please don't take my word for anything, and I'm sorry this isn't quite what you were looking for, but I think the basis of a good biellmann comes from a nice, solid, consistent split. Afterwards, you can start on wall splits (charlotte position) in order to get your hamstrings and hips looser.
Personally, I find that stretching for the position in my skates is best- i have a good hold on the free blade that i don't when i'm stretching off ice
In addition, once you've achieved grabbing your foot or blade with one or both hands, remember to push upwards. you should feel a stretch in your shoulder(s), spine, and maybe your hamstrings.
good luck!

Thank you for the tips! I really appreciate any advice going into this since I'm self-training.

And thank you bellflower! I'm checking out the channel now and they look like a great resource.

Last edited:

ahy

Final Flight
From my experience, the wall split is the most useful way of getting a scorpion. And of course, stretch regularly every day. I don't do figure skating so I don't know how it's like doing a bielmann on ice, but I do ballet for fun. After achievng a good split with squared hips, try to stand beside a wall or something that you can lean on it, pull your leg up, after a few times, try to find your balance. Then you can achieve one i believe. Sorry for my bad english though...

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
Two stretches for shoulders that you might try:

First, while lying on your stomach, reach above your head and grip a dowel (or broom handle). Making sure to keep your shoulders down and square, lift the dowel as far off the floor as you can without arching your back.

The second is a bridge position, but be careful to do it properly or you won't get much stretch. I looked on YouTube to try to find a good video, but almost everyone had bent arms, so I decided just to describe it! Start by lying on your back with your feet by your bottom, knees together, and your fingertips tucked under your shoulders. Push up into a bridge as far as you can and hold for 30 seconds. Lower down and tuck and roll out your back, then repeat twice more. The first main goal is to get your arms all the way straight. Once you can accomplish this, the next goal is to push back till your shoulders are over your fingertips. The third goal is to get your legs all the way straight. Once you can do a proper bridge with arms and legs straight and shoulders open over your fingertips, you can try walking your feet father in. Really, really flexible people can do a teardrop position with their feet near their hands, but this isn't necessary for a Beilman. I've certainly never been able to do it! Bridges should stretch your shoulders, hips, and back, but focus mostly on the shoulders.

Edit- do these stretches in a series of three with a rest in between three times per day for best results.

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Take a yoga class where the instructor is working on camel pose, dancer pose, and 1/2 moon.

lbc2138

On the Ice
Two stretches for shoulders that you might try:

First, while lying on your stomach, reach above your head and grip a dowel (or broom handle). Making sure to keep your shoulders down and square, lift the dowel as far off the floor as you can without arching your back.

The second is a bridge position, but be careful to do it properly or you won't get much stretch. I looked on YouTube to try to find a good video, but almost everyone had bent arms, so I decided just to describe it! Start by lying on your back with your feet by your bottom, knees together, and your fingertips tucked under your shoulders. Push up into a bridge as far as you can and hold for 30 seconds. Lower down and tuck and roll out your back, then repeat twice more. The first main goal is to get your arms all the way straight. Once you can accomplish this, the next goal is to push back till your shoulders are over your fingertips. The third goal is to get your legs all the way straight. Once you can do a proper bridge with arms and legs straight and shoulders open over your fingertips, you can try walking your feet father in. Really, really flexible people can do a teardrop position with their feet near their hands, but this isn't necessary for a Beilman. I've certainly never been able to do it! Bridges should stretch your shoulders, hips, and back, but focus mostly on the shoulders.

Edit- do these stretches in a series of three with a rest in between three times per day for best results.

Take a yoga class where the instructor is working on camel pose, dancer pose, and 1/2 moon.

I really like the arm stretches you described, Moonlightskater. Would it work if I had a scarf/towel or would it be better to just use a broom (I'll be sure to do this in my room and not in front of my roommate haha)

and I've been looking into yoga classes in my area and some are a little more focused on "intense" yoga as opposed to encouraging flexibility but I'll keep searching. Thank you for the tips!