Question about IceNetwork.com | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Question about IceNetwork.com

ice coverage

Record Breaker
For most events, it has no commentary at all. For US nationals seniors, there is usually commentary and it is decently synched. If Tanith does dance, her commentary will be of decent quality. For the other 3 disciplines, we'll have to see.

John Coughlin will be back for IN commentary for Nats, per recent tweeting from him and/or IN.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
But again: what is the image quality? It was said it's not even 720p. That way it will look terrible on HD TV. Is it true?

Since you asked about 1080p quality, I'm assuming you have a discriminating eye when it comes to video quality. If you're putting an IN stream up on a 40"+ HDTV, yes, it will look "terrible". Certainly nowhere near the quality of watching an NBC broadcast of figure skating. It would definitely be watchable, if you have a good internet connection. But not the crisp HD you're asking about, I'd say.

waxel

Final Flight
IN is definitely worth the small $50. investment. I plug in hdmi from my laptop and watch on big screen tv.

Manitou, I don't really know anything about technical specifications. It is not as good as watching on broadcast tv, but again, considering all you get, it's totally worth $50.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Sure, they don't show the last groups at Nationals live. But let's be honest here:

Which option is better for figure skating in the US? The last groups being live on IceNetwork behind a paywall subscription to a small viewership of die-hard fans, or the last groups being shown live on NBC in prime time so that they can catch casual viewers as well?

Why does this even need to be a choice? Why can't both IN and NBC air coverage of the Nationals at the same time? I doubt there are many folks out there that would prefer their IN stream over an NBC broadcast. This just seems like it forces people into paying for cable, or hunting down some "rabbit ears" and praying you live in a region of the world that can pick up an over-the-air signal that is watchable during the dates of the live NBC broadcasts.

I think the better option is having live coverage on both places, especially the website some of us paid $50 for access to, only to find all the biggest events of U.S. Nationals are subject to black-out restrictions. That just seems insane to me. But I know this type of thing is not unusual.

Went through similar pains with NHL GameCenter (which I no longer subscribe to).

Last edited:

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Why does this even need to be a choice? Why can't both IN and NBC air coverage of the Nationals at the same time? I doubt there are many folks out there that would prefer their IN stream over an NBC broadcast. This just seems like it forces people into paying for cable, or hunting down some "rabbit ears" and praying you live in a region of the world that can pick up an over-the-air signal that is watchable during the dates of the live NBC broadcasts.

I think the better option is having live coverage on both places, especially the website some of us paid $50 for access to, only to find all the biggest events of U.S. Nationals are subject to black-out restrictions. That just seems insane to me. But I know this type of thing is not unusual.

Went through similar pains with NHL GameCenter (which I no longer subscribe to).

:agree:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Heh, I love to get on rants sometimes. :laugh2:

But the perfect cherry-on-top of this whole mess is how IN is withholding from us their on-demand videos of black-out Nationals coverage for 3 days! You'd have better luck just going on Youtube or other free sources by then.

Whatever deal the USFSA has with NBC probably has an exclusivity clause which prevents Icenetwork from broadcasting stuff in competition with NBC coverage.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Thanks for sharing. I am familiar of the reasoning behind blackout restrictions. For clarification, I was responding to a question asking: "What's better for figure skating in the U.S.?" I think showing live Nationals coverage on both NBC and IN would be better for figure skating, rather than NBC being the sole owner of all live broadcasts of figure skating events in the U.S. Also, forcing IN to withhold their on-demand coverage of Nationals for 3+ days to their subscribers is not helpful, either.

But -- as a paying subscriber to IN, I feel I have a right to complain that I'm not able to watch live coverage of the top American skaters during the biggest event in U.S. figure skating. I paid for IN to watch live-streams... I rarely go back through archived streams since IN generally has no commentary, and you can find better quality video for free elsewhere.

DexterK

On the Ice
I think it is quite decent, I'm not sure it is 1080p, but certainly 720p-ish. I watch it on my MacBook, so I can't speak to how it would appear on a "tv sized" screen. The value is hard to beat.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Just want to give a big shout-out to ESPN for their excellent comprehensive live-streaming coverage of Russian Nationals this season. It was far cheaper and easier for me to watch all the Russian Nationals in America than it will be to see U.S. Nationals... :scratch:

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Here's what I'm probably going to do to watch live (at a bare minimum) the SP & FS programs from all Senior Ladies/Men/ID/Pairs, and represents the best case scenario if you are doing things on the 'up & up' in the USA:

$50 Subscription to IceNetwork for internet live-streaming.

$XXX HD cable subscription package.

Start out watching internet streaming on IceNetwork, until their feed cuts off due to NBC's broadcast.

Run over to my couch and watch NBC on my television, until their live coverage ends.

Run back to my computer to start streaming IceNetwork again to see footage that NBC isn't showing.

Rinse & repeat.

Seriously, what the ???? is this??

How many Americans do you think are going to do this?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It won't be quite like that except for the ladies. because the senior events have a split schedule.

Saturday, Jan. 24, 2015

IN 10:45am Senior Free Dance (Groups 1 & 2)
IN 12:30pm Senior Pairs Free Skate (Group 1)

AT LEAST ONE HOUR BREAK

NBC 3-6 p.m. (Live) Pairs free skate + Free dance

AT LEAST ONE HOUR BREAK. Eat dinner.

IN 7:00pm Senior Ladies Free Skate (Group 1)
RUN TO TV
NBC 8-11 p.m. (Live) Ladies free skate (Groups 2 and 3)

Sunday, 1/25/2015

IN 2:00pm. Senior Men's Free Skate (Groups 1 & 2)
Ice remake, so no run, Stroll to TV.
NBC 4-6 p.m. Men's free skate (Group 3)

Group 2 pairs may not be live broadcast anywhere. You will have to wait to see them three days later. It depends on how the NBC broadcast goes.

You will only run during ladies.

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
BRAVO TO ICE NETWORK! I watch all of the Ice Network telecasts on high speed internet on my year 2008, 25-inch iMac. Clear as a bell....much higher picture quality than Universal sports on my state-of-the-art television on Dish or Direct TV. In fact, one actually sees skating detail much clearer via Ice Network than one does live, on-site at the arena! The fee for the service for the whole season is less than one would expect to spend for a choice seat location for ONLY ONE SESSION at U.S. NATIONALS. I MISS THE "live" atmosphere of the arena, but my home-cooked meals and refreshments are a vast improvement over the best arenas.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I won't have to run for the Ladies cause NBC insists on tape delaying them for the west coast cause it's prime time. :rolleye:

Well at least I'll have time to go to Mass and eat dinner, lol.