Medics Prep For Ice Skating Injuries At U.S. Championships | Golden Skate

Medics Prep For Ice Skating Injuries At U.S. Championships

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Medics Prep For Ice Skating Injuries At Championships

1:51 video + accompanying text version of the same content.

This TV station is an official media partner of U.S. Nats in Greensboro. And it is featuring the official medical provider for the event.
So I recognize that on some level, this story is promotional in nature.

But given the scary collision btwn Han and Hanyu, for instance, it did get my attention that the training included worst-case scenarios.

.... They practiced safely moving people and equipment on and off the ice -- while trying to keep their own balance at the same time. ...

"We're preparing for something that we hope doesn't happen. We're preparing for catastrophic head or neck injuries," said Dr. Fields. ....

(ETA, sorry, forgot to say that I saw this link on the Skate Today website.)​

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This is how it should be done. Oi, ISU, you listening?

mskater93

Record Breaker
^^^
No, US Figureskating has been VERY much at the forefront of safety/medical support at major competitions over the years. In 2001, when Tatmianina was dropped to the ice at SkAm by her partner when he hit a rut, USFS handled it incredibly well and she suffered no long-lasting effects because of the response team. There have been a lot of changes for how USFS prepares and handles that over the last 2 decades.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
^^^
No, US Figureskating has been VERY much at the forefront of safety/medical support at major competitions over the years. In 2001, when Tatmianina was dropped to the ice at SkAm by her partner when he hit a rut, USFS handled it incredibly well and she suffered no long-lasting effects because of the response team. There have been a lot of changes for how USFS prepares and handles that over the last 2 decades.
I think the way the US medical delegation acted in CoC is a very fine example, they reacted faster than the medical team from the event.

oriquey

Final Flight
Whoah...ISU should follow suit. Hopefully, we'll see improvements in future events.

mskater93

Record Breaker
100/500 - that's about right. When my former club hosted TOI Nationals a few years back, we had at least one-two medical volunteers on site at all times that people were on the ice and that doesn't have near the technical demand of pairs or high level singles skating. Adult Nationals has a response team on site now for the pairs events after a terrifying accident on the event warm up a few years back and there was a new rule put in place that pairs practice and competition (for Adult Nationals) needed to have freshly zam'd ice. USFS understands that mitgating the risks is VERY important.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
100/500 - that's about right. When my former club hosted TOI Nationals a few years back, we had at least one-two medical volunteers on site at all times that people were on the ice and that doesn't have near the technical demand of pairs or high level singles skating. Adult Nationals has a response team on site now for the pairs events after a terrifying accident on the event warm up a few years back and there was a new rule put in place that pairs practice and competition (for Adult Nationals) needed to have freshly zam'd ice. USFS understands that mitgating the risks is VERY important.

Thanks for the reassuring insight re USFS, mskater.
I must say I remain surprised/puzzled that the Japanese fed -- with its deep pockets, or so I am led to believe -- did not have its own doctor (AFAIK) at Cup of China, where its Olympic and World champion was competing.

Anyway, another video about the medical set-up at Nats:

Medical Clinic Set For Skating Championships
5:50 p.m. EST, January 16, 2015
http://www.wfmynews2.com/story/news...cal-us-figure-skating-championships/21878539/ (2:09)

Excerpt:
Medical Professionals at Cone Health have set up a medical clinic inside of the Greensboro Coliseum to treat athletes.
More than 50 doctors, trainers, and massage therapists will be on hand.

And more b-roll of the worst-case scenario training is at the end of the video.​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Gallery of six photos and captions that show/explain different aspects of the training.

Doctors Practice On Ice At Coliseum
Guilford County EMS teamed up with Cone Health Sports Medicine Center team of physicians, athletic trainers and the on-ice medical team to train on the ice for the upcoming U.S. Figure Skating Championships.
http://www.news-record.com/gallery/...ion_b4828400-9c30-11e4-a780-57105d152b0e.html