America's Scimeca & Knierim to do Quad Twist in their Free Skate | Golden Skate

America's Scimeca & Knierim to do Quad Twist in their Free Skate

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Their 3Tw is already pretty monstrous in size, a quad is very much possible for them, I'll look forward to it but I hope they are safe and nothing bad happens

FSGMT

Record Breaker
So we have a fifth pair in the world doing a quad (two throws and three twists)... Pairs skating is becoming a lot like Men's skating around 2011-2012, with most of the skaters adding quads to their programs :popcorn:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
So we have a fifth pair in the world doing a quad (two throws and three twists)... Pairs skating is becoming a lot like Men's skating around 2011-2012, with most of the skaters adding quads to their programs :popcorn:

No it is like Men's skating around 1996-2015. They ducks have been quacking about the quad since well before 2011 and they are still quacking about the quad in 2015. I suspect they will be quacking about quads until they can start quacking about quad+quad combinations and/or six quad programs.

And I suspect pairs will be much the same in that we be quad quacking about pairs for at least 20 years.

I look forward to the era of qunits. Quints is a much better sounding word, plus does not get mixed up with quadriceps and quadrennium.

I guess the question is, if they get an awesome 4twist. . . does the USA actually have a shot of getting 3 pairs spots again? When was the last time the USA had a full compliment to all four disciplines? We may almost, sorta, kinda, maybe have a shot at it this year right before worlds on home turf!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
No it is like Men's skating around 1996-2015. They ducks have been quacking about the quad since well before 2011 and they are still quacking about the quad in 2015. I suspect they will be quacking about quads until they can start quacking about quad+quad combinations and/or six quad programs.

And I suspect pairs will be much the same in that we be quad quacking about pairs for at least 20 years.

I look forward to the era of qunits. Quints is a much better sounding word, plus does not get mixed up with quadriceps and quadrennium.

I guess the question is, if they get an awesome 4twist. . . does the USA actually have a shot of getting 3 pairs spots again? When was the last time the USA had a full compliment to all four disciplines? We may almost, sorta, kinda, maybe have a shot at it this year right before worlds on home turf!

The last time we had three pairs was 2003, so it's been a while.

I think it's possible but tough. Three Russian pairs (likely Stolbova/Klimov, Kavaguti/Smirnov Tarasova/Morozov), Three Chinese pairs (Sui/Han, Peng/Zhang and Xu/Jin) plus Duhmel and Radford from Canada to pass (and if they send Seguin and Bildeaou they would be tough competition as well). The best we could do, I think, to get 3 spots is a 6th and 7th, which would require both US teams to pass at least two of the teams mentioned above.

Last edited:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Good!

The more pairs push the Quad elements till the end of this season,
The more pressure can be put to raise the ridicules scoring for quads in pairs :agree:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm happy to hear this. It may encourage me to pay more attention to the pairs programs.

I'm glad they're upping the tech with an exciting element. Also glad that this is not the whole focus of their improvement plans.

And, they're probably right in looking for the long term. They'll need that higher TES.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
The last time we had three pairs was 2003, so it's been a while.

I think it's possible but tough. Three Russian pairs (likely Stolbova/Klimov, Kavaguti/Smirnov Tarasova/Morozov), Three Chinese pairs (Sui/Han, Peng/Zhang and Xu/Jin) plus Duhmel and Radford from Canada to pass (and if they send Seguin and Bildeaou they would be tough competition as well). The best we could do, I think, to get 3 spots is a 6th and 7th, which would require both US teams to pass at least two of the teams mentioned above.

It looks like in 2003 we did not have three ice dance teams though, so still not a full set. Have the USA ever had 3 in all four disciplines?

Like you and I said, it is possible but might need some help from the others, but passing two of your listed is not insurmountable. Someone always messes up, it could be anyone.

I would be tickled to see the USA actually have a full compliment of skaters to local worlds. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but a bottle of vodka handy.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It looks like in 2003 we did not have three ice dance teams though, so still not a full set. Have the USA ever had 3 in all four disciplines?

Like you and I said, it is possible but might need some help from the others, but passing two of your listed is not insurmountable. Someone always messes up, it could be anyone.

I would be tickled to see the USA actually have a full compliment of skaters to local worlds. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but a bottle of vodka handy.

Quick research that shows that since 1960 (when entries were limited to 3 per country) US had the full set in: 1964, 1965, 1967, 1971, 1972 and 1982. So it's been a long, long while.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Quick research that shows that since 1960 (when entries were limited to 3 per country) US had the full set in: 1964, 1965, 1967, 1971, 1972 and 1982. So it's been a long, long while.

So longer than 90% of skaters have been alive.

Ok this is my new hope for worlds that i should not get my hopes up for.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lets just hope we keep the 3 spots for the other 3 disciplines. We have no chance in Pairs.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
So longer than 90% of skaters have been alive.

Ok this is my new hope for worlds that i should not get my hopes up for.

It's a REALLY tall order to get 3 US teams at Worlds. It was a miracle the men were able to get 3.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Canadian women get 3 spots at Worlds sooner than US pairs.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's a REALLY tall order to get 3 US teams at Worlds. It was a miracle the men were able to get 3.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Canadian women get 3 spots at Worlds sooner than US pairs.

CSG. This is one of the posts I'll have to bump if it turns out you're wrong. :laugh:

That said, I agree it will be tough this season...however, I think in future seasons who knows!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
CSG. This is one of the posts I'll have to bump if it turns out you're wrong. :laugh:

That said, I agree it will be tough this season...however, I think in future seasons who knows!
What if a miracle happens and the US does get 3 pairs... but the men totally bomb and lose the 3 spots? :popcorn:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
What if a miracle happens and the US does get 3 pairs... but the men totally bomb and lose the 3 spots? :popcorn:

Then i will feel like i jinxed myself.

I holding off on predicting how like three men's spots are till we see who goes. Jeremy Max and Jason, yeah we likely have a pretty good chance for three spots. Something more like say Brown Chen and Farris, well who the heck knows what would happen.

What if we loose three spots in mens, gain 3 spots in pairs and Jeremy Abbott medals. . . pigs would really be flying!

Weathergal

Medalist
Then i will feel like i jinxed myself.

I holding off on predicting how like three men's spots are till we see who goes. Jeremy Max and Jason, yeah we likely have a pretty good chance for three spots. Something more like say Brown Chen and Farris, well who the heck knows what would happen.

What if we loose three spots in mens, gain 3 spots in pairs and Jeremy Abbott medals. . . pigs would really be flying!

Swap out for Max for Richard Dornbush, and I think we can keep the spots. (No hate for Max here, just think Richard would do better.)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Swap out for Max for Richard Dornbush, and I think we can keep the spots. (No hate for Max here, just think Richard would do better.)

Max vs Ricky both on a good day day, yeah I think Ricky wins. Both on a bad day, Max wins. When things go badly for Ricky they tend to go really bad. So i give a slight "wont have a melt down" advantage to Max.

Really Brown Aaron and Dornbush likely could keep three spots. Abbot just has a slightly higher chance of being held up with PCS if he melts down.

Weathergal

Medalist
Max vs Ricky both on a good day day, yeah I think Ricky wins. Both on a bad day, Max wins. When things go badly for Ricky they tend to go really bad. So i give a slight "wont have a melt down" advantage to Max.

Really Brown Aaron and Dornbush likely could keep three spots. Abbot just has a slightly higher chance of being held up with PCS if he melts down.

Agreed.:thumbsup: