2015 US Nationals Senior Pairs SP Jan 22 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Senior Pairs SP Jan 22

s_parks

Record Breaker
Alexa and Chris were great, but the score was overdone for sure. I think 68-69 would have been more reasonable but still a bit higher than they would get internationally. I guess the judges are making a statement that Alexa and Chris are their favored pair and they wanted to put room between them and the field since there are still a lot of very good skaters coming up.

Will be very interesting to see what happens with the second group.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the judges give D/F a higher score if they too skate clean(though ofc that would be way too high, but hey, nationals.), though. After all, they've done better in the GPs.

samson

Medalist
^Yeah I guess if Denney and Frazier go clean it will be a great indicator where the judges are leaning right now. Still... that's a monster score. I wonder if these are the kinds of number we can look forward to all week. If Gracie goes clean in the short we should get ready for a "world record".

sbaker

On the Ice
Alexa and Chris were great, but the score was overdone for sure. I think 68-69 would have been more reasonable but still a bit higher than they would get internationally. I guess the judges are making a statement that Alexa and Chris are their favored pair and they wanted to put room between them and the field since there are still a lot of very good skaters coming up.

Will be very interesting to see what happens with the second group.

What was interesting though is that their technical score was much higher than their PCS, so they must have earned some awesome +GOEs. I'm sorry I can't recall exactly how it was broken down and the online scores just show the total. IIRC, TES was about 40.

There were moments where their focus broke the performance a bit, like going into the SBS 3sals and the throw 3flip, but overall this was their best performance of the season by far. Their spins were in unison the whole time too. I will never get over their twist!

Excited to see D/F skate next! Last group warming up now.

Last edited:

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Marissa and Mervin were wonderful, and I agree with everyone who finds him very attractive. :)

Alexa and Chris were PHENOMENAL. Best I've ever seen them. Dynamic, gutsy, lots of amplitude, electric.

SashaJuliaSpins

Final Flight
What was interesting though is that their technical score was much higher than their PCS, so they must have earned some awesome +GOEs. I'm sorry I can't recall exactly how it was broken down and the online scores just show the total. IIRC, TES was about 40.

There were moments where their focus broke the performance a bit, like going into the SBS 3sals and the throw 3flip, but overall this was their best performance of the season by far. Their spins were in unison the whole time too. I will never get over their twist!

Excited to see D/F skate next! Last group warming up now.

Thanks Sbaker...Keep the commentary coming!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure D/F can top that score. S/K have bigger elements with the 3 twist and throw 3flip.

Last edited:

sbaker

On the Ice
You're welcome!

D/F were also clean, but I personally preferred S/K. They were just more explosive to me.

I like the choreography changes D/F have made since the grand prix... Moving the footwork from the end made a big difference. Their twist was big, throw 3 loop clean but a little close to the wall. 3sals were clean, spins in unison.

Score of 68.38. TES was around 38, PCS a point or so higher than S&K which I agree with. Their expression was great!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I loved that program. S/K had the tech, but D/F had the better program/choreo. The PCS doesn't reflect that fully, though.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Looks like US judges don't want to be in shadow of Russian nationals inflation :laugh2:

This way I can easily see 100 for Jason with clean SP without quad :biggrin:

SashaJuliaSpins

Final Flight
You're welcome!

D/F were also clean, but I personally preferred S/K. They were just more explosive to me.

I like the choreography changes D/F have made since the grand prix... Moving the footwork from the end made a big difference. Their twist was big, throw 3 loop clean but a little close to the wall. 3sals were clean, spins in unison.

Score of 68.38. TES was around 38, PCS a point or so higher than S&K which I agree with. Their expression was great!

A difference of 6 points! Someone said Denney almost crashed into the boards, was it obvious (like affect the elements)?

sbaker

On the Ice
So many red dresses this year! I'm loving K/O's Moulin Rouge to "Your Song." Great character interpretation. Funny to see Tara in a red dress sooo similar to Ashley's :)

That was a great skate. So nice to see them back and strong! John Coughlin talking about his personal connection to what she's going through with her hip recovery.

Twist not the best of the bunch but still good. Good 3sals, throw 3loop, pretty lift.

Score of 61.56 - John C. thinking they missed some levels.

SashaJuliaSpins

Final Flight
Looks like US judges don't want to be in shadow of Russian nationals inflation :laugh2:

This way I can easily see 100 for Jason with clean SP without quad :biggrin:

:rofl: I don't blame them. They can't just allow Russia to win the inflation game on their home turf! :laugh2: