Singles female skaters wearing skirts for practice? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Singles female skaters wearing skirts for practice?

mskater93

Record Breaker
I don't mean what is fashionable as much as practical. i thought it would emulate the dress, but...
Practical is wearing leggings versus "pants" once you've reached single Axels. "Fashion" here dictates Chloe Noel pants (leggings). Also, most of the kids I skate with are in a hurry to rush off to school in the morning or are rushing in from school in the afternoon, so pants are WAY more practical than a dress.

mnm464

On the Ice
fair point. I remember I got in trouble once for wearing a skating dress to school aha! Pants and leggings are sorta the same to me but i know how some people distinguish between them.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
At my current rink I only see little girls in dresses and skirts, older skaters and adults wear pants or leggings. Growing up in small town Midwest, it was pretty common for skaters to wear heavier tights (mondors) and practice skirts. I am 27 so this would have been over 10 years ago. There were also no elite level skaters at my rink either and we were a pretty unfashionable bunch so take that for what it's worth...

alaskanmom

Rinkside
My daughters coach has all her skaters wear dresses. skirts and the boys skate pants. Even when in not in lessons. Its the way she likes them to dress.

Skategmt

On the Ice
To my fresstyle practices, all the girls my age, including Mme, where tights with spandex shorts, tights with cropped black leggings, or Chloe Noel Pants. None of us where dresses and/or skirts to practice unless its the day before a competition or test session.

MKG93

Spectator
I don't think it matters what people wear to practice. Its what makes you comfortable.

At my rink the norm is leggings and a skate jacket or the lulumon style top, some wear leg warmers. We have freestyle, ice dance and MIF skaters combined in our club sessions. I do MIF, and on occasion I've worn the running type skirt over my leggings. I've seen some of the ice dancers wear the ballet skirts over leggings also. Its really a non issue.

loopy

Final Flight
" Its really a non issue.'

Yes, unless a coach has a dress code requirement - and some do for lessons - it really does not matter what anyone wears to practice.

Qks1v3r

Spectator
How interesting... At one rink we go to hardly anyone wears skirts while at another rink a ton of younger girls (who are also very advanced) do.

My daughter is 12 and nearly always wears practice skirts or spandex boogie shorts over bamboo tights to practice. Unless it's very cold, she does not like wearing pants.

I happen to like the way a skirt flows even during practice, especially if there's a spin class.

I think we just got sick of the ubiquitous Chloe Noel style pant that everyone had with all the weird stoning..

alexeifan

On the Ice
In the late 90s to early 2000s most of the skaters in my rink wore dresses to practice. This included senior level skaters. I think it looks nice but can see how it's not practical as the nylons run quickly especially doing the high level jumps.