Running: Does it keep your leg muscles longer? | Golden Skate

Running: Does it keep your leg muscles longer?

mnm464

On the Ice
One of the skating moms told me that she has her daughters run to keep their leg muscles from getting really bunched up and chunky. Does this actually work and is true? If not, how can you prevent leg muscles from getting really big-I know its a given in skating but in terms of not looking overly muscular.- ~I realize genes also have to do with it, but if you're fairly small framed and muscular but not big muscular.

loopy

Final Flight
cross country seems to, but not short sprints. The problem with cross country is it is extra hard on my daughters knees, ankles and hips-they train on concrete and asphalt. So she doesn't do cross country. I think if you want to lengthen the appearance of muscles that ballet and or yoga can do the same without the hard impact.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Running is great, but I recomend to ask a doctor to look at your daughters first to know their bodies can take the impact.

Believe or not, as loopy said, running is really hard, and could lead to damage (I was ordered by my doctor to stop running because it was destroying my hips, even now three months since I stoped I still feel pain).

Also looks for information on the right equipment to do it. Special shoes are need it, depending on the form of the feet and the surface you are gonna be running.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Female skaters don't seem to have really large legs. Strong, yes, but not necessarily large. In fact, a few of them can seem so thin (e.g. some Chinese Pairs girls) it is amazing and incredible that they can perform with such athletic prowess.

Running, especially too much of it in terms of sessions and duration over a life time, can really harm one's body in so many ways. Besides damaging joints and spine, it has undesirable effects on one's metabolism. Running does not serve a natural function. Our ancestors, like animals in nature, sprinted to hunt down preys or to get away from predators. Sprinting is essential for survival. Walking was the means to go longer distances. In fact, we can walk all day. The body functions differently including the use of fuels. People who run put on weight immediately if they stop running, gaining back more than before they run.

Running also does not strengthen the heart. To do that one needs to challenge the heart to close to its capacity with short intense exercises. By increasing the intensity and challenge over time, the heart becomes stronger with increased capacity and able to withstand sudden severe stress/demand, physical or emotional, which may otherwise be devastating.

The Greek messenger who ran the long distance non stop to announce the victory of the battle of Marathon dropped dead upon arrival. Thus, the sport of marathon was created. :eek: People are so smart. :hopelessness:

For long muscles, I believe Pilate works better.

Last edited:

mnm464

On the Ice
Ah, I see. I used to run I got a back injury and I was prohibited for a while and now wondering if I should do so to boost stamina for Junior this year.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am not and never have been a skater (unless pick-up hockey games on the lake 40 years ago count, which they don't), but I and my spousal unit have been runners, and still run (in our 50s and 60s) for exercise. Running would not "elongate" your muscles, as far as I know. The figure skaters who have incorporated running into their training (like Jason Brown) have done so for endurance reasons. AFAIK, Jason has suffered no ill effects from his running regimen, and even ran a 5K in his hometown over Thanksgiving. Running, like any other sport if done right and with proper coaching, does not lead to injuries, does improve cardio, and has zip-all to do with your weight, running or not.

One warning above that I do agree with: I see high school cross country teams training on the time on asphalt and concrete. Yikes! That will kill your legs, even in your mid teens. I believe the skaters I have read about train on treadmills, which is OK because you are not running long distances and you can see your pace/heart rate/etc. a little easier. Or on a trail which is beautiful, outside and a nice break from the gym or the rink.:biggrin:

mnm464

On the Ice
I am not and never have been a skater (unless pick-up hockey games on the lake 40 years ago count, which they don't), but I and my spousal unit have been runners, and still run (in our 50s and 60s) for exercise. Running would not "elongate" your muscles, as far as I know. The figure skaters who have incorporated running into their training (like Jason Brown) have done so for endurance reasons. AFAIK, Jason has suffered no ill effects from his running regimen, and even ran a 5K in his hometown over Thanksgiving. Running, like any other sport if done right and with proper coaching, does not lead to injuries, does improve cardio, and has zip-all to do with your weight, running or not.

One warning above that I do agree with: I see high school cross country teams training on the time on asphalt and concrete. Yikes! That will kill your legs, even in your mid teens. I believe the skaters I have read about train on treadmills, which is OK because you are not running long distances and you can see your pace/heart rate/etc. a little easier. Or on a trail which is beautiful, outside and a nice break from the gym or the rink.:biggrin:

Thank you for the detailed post! I definitely will take it into consideration. I really do like running on trails, like where I used to live. In Michigan its a bit harder but I will work something out:)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I love running (or jogging, given the speed I go at, LOL). I'm not sure if it does anything for leg muscles, but I'd definitely say it's great for endurance and just for stamina/energy.

I still jog though I'm 4 months pregnant (with my doctor's OK) . I was scared at first, but I find that I feel healthy and strong for my future kid. It's amazing what your body can do!

Adding to el henry's point with Jason Brown -- I remember him mentioning that he ran a lot of 5Ks to increase endurance so he could do his exhausting footwork sequence in Riverdance.

To answer your other question: I think the general principle regarding being lean vs. muscular is to do more reps with lighter weights when you're strength training.

Skategmt

On the Ice
I have been a figure skater for over ten tears. Over the summer, I started running(more jogging/walking :)to better condition myself. I went to high school this fall and decided to go out for the track team. I ended up making varsity! I'm a mid distance runner, my favorite race is the 1000 meter run. After starting track, I've noticed that my muscles in my legs are, not bigger per say, but more defined. When I skate, I find that I'm not as winded when I finish my program and my jumps have more height than they used to. I think running really helps figure skaters with stamina.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
I think running is actually known to shorten muscles some if you don't do a lot of stretching as well. It will, however, help with conditioning. Make sure to start gradually and cross train to avoid damaging joints.

Running does not harm your heart or metabolism. No exercise harms your metabolism... unless you don't eat enough to fuel your activity.

Ballet, pilates, yoga, and other such exercises will help to lengthen muscles. If you pair them with running you might get the results you are looking for.

Make sure to consult a doctor and maybe do a bit of reading before taking on a new plan. There's a lot of psuedoscience out there.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Running is a great sport but I don't think you need to worry about legs getting "chunky" from figure skating. Running will build leg muscle too, especially quads and calf muscles. And I caution you on adding cardio activity where the goal is just to burn calories to look slimmer, it's a dangerous slope. High level skating is such a highly demanding sport already that I would hesitate to add it to a skaters cross training without consulting a doctor or looking closely at their current activity level. Yoga, Pilates, or ballet might be more helpful cross training in the long run and have the benefit of helping with core strength.

I am an adult skater who is also a runner training for a marathon and running actually has a bit of a negative impact on my skating if I skate the day after a long run (as in my legs are just too tired). I am also a physical therapist and see a lot of over training injuries. Either way, if you are going to significantly change a skaters activity, I would talk to a doctor first.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Also, running doesn't work the opposite muscles that skating works which can lead to imbalances and pain (both are quad intensive users, for example). I'd find a good off ice coach and regimen for your skater.

mnm464

On the Ice
I have been a figure skater for over ten tears. Over the summer, I started running(more jogging/walking :)to better condition myself. I went to high school this fall and decided to go out for the track team. I ended up making varsity! I'm a mid distance runner, my favorite race is the 1000 meter run. After starting track, I've noticed that my muscles in my legs are, not bigger per say, but more defined. When I skate, I find that I'm not as winded when I finish my program and my jumps have more height than they used to. I think running really helps figure skaters with stamina.

thank you for your in depth post! Congrats on making varsity as well!(I presume that is hard, but I don't know...I don't follow extracurriculars outside of schoolwork so much ahaha)

Skategmt

On the Ice
thank you for your in depth post! Congrats on making varsity as well!(I presume that is hard, but I don't know...I don't follow extracurriculars outside of schoolwork so much ahaha)

Thanks! I guess varsity is hard to make (I'm one of the few underclassmen on it). It so different than skating, the whole team aspect, sharing a coach, and not having total control with what I do. But I made a lot of new friends and got better at skating, so its a win-win :)

mnm464

On the Ice
Thanks! I guess varsity is hard to make (I'm one of the few underclassmen on it). It so different than skating, the whole team aspect, sharing a coach, and not having total control with what I do. But I made a lot of new friends and got better at skating, so its a win-win :)

That is really good! Having a life outside of skating is a good thing. veeeeeerrrrrry ggggggooooooooddddd thing! I would be a very bad example of this ahahah!

Skategmt

On the Ice
That is really good! Having a life outside of skating is a good thing. veeeeeerrrrrry ggggggooooooooddddd thing! I would be a very bad example of this ahahah!

Hahaha I see the no life out of skating all the time at my rink. It seems like you put a lot of effort into your studies by your posts. Its good to be like that. I'm like that to, school's a big priority for me, so I know how you must feel!

mnm464

On the Ice
Hahaha I see the no life out of skating all the time at my rink. It seems like you put a lot of effort into your studies by your posts. Its good to be like that. I'm like that to, school's a big priority for me, so I know how you must feel!

Yeah, I try at least. I never thought that this would be so hard! Halllp!!