Dimanno - figure skating duos motivated for nationals | Golden Skate

Dimanno - figure skating duos motivated for nationals

Taan

On the Ice
http://www.thestar.com/sports/skati...ing-duos-motivated-for-nationals-dimanno.html
:mad:
“We read mean comments online, ‘They don’t match,’ ‘Why would they skate together?’ ‘They don’t look good together,’ ‘She needs a new partner,’ ‘He needs a new partner,’ ” says Duhamel. “Really mean, hurtful things that we can’t change. I can’t make myself any taller and more balletic-looking. It’s not my body and I don’t want to, I don’t want to be more balletic-looking. And Eric can’t make himself smaller with more bulky muscles.”
It’s quite astonishing, and more than a little upsetting — to them — how much this team, two-time world bronze medallists, has attracted fury on the social media river of vomit. Duhamel noticed the other day a posting about Chinese pair Pang Qing and Tong Jian returning to the competitive ranks. “Somebody wrote, ‘Oh thank God, anything to stop Duhamel and Radford from being world champions.’ Why not? What’s wrong with us being world champions?”
The duo figures they’ve been the target of more social media vitriol than any of their Canadian teammates. A lot of folks just don’t like them and have no compunction about saying so, begrudging their high scores and victories. In earlier days, it made them skate with a chip on their shoulder. Now they use it as motivation.
:mad:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Is this true? :mad: I don't like DiManno too much. :no: If this is true, it proves once again that there is nothing worse than figure skating fans. :disapp:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Is this true? :mad: I don't like DiManno too much. :no: If this is true, it proves once again that there is nothing worse than figure skating fans. :disapp:

Until you deal with Formula 1 fans, or soccer fans or ballet fans.

I think in every sport, the sportman is subject to critics, and even attacks. Part of how you manage it is what made a sportman/ woman stronger.

Back when Davis / White were around 14, people said that Charlie should change partners; that Meryl wasn´t goot enough, later around 2008-2009, people said that Charlie wasn´t good for Meryl.

The thing is you are never gonna please everybody, don´t google yourself or don´t read forums.

But I will said "fans" that tag or tweet directly to the skater their hate are the worst.

Yeah, I think it is true to a certain extent. Meagan Duhamel has attracted the greatest amount of irrational and mean-spirited criticism (with very little in the way way of fan support to mitigate it) since Mira Leung.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I believe its true. I've seen some amazingly nasty comments, usually about her appearance and their height difference. Ridiculous! I think she looks great! They do bring a different type of pair to the scene: not a traditional kind of romantic match but one where a realistic partnership is in evidence. I love the recent photo of the two of them facing each other, arms clasped. It shows two strong, ripped people who work in unison to achieve something. DiManno is right on in this article. I hope these two never change! The better one gets, the more haters you'll find. Brush them off and go after your dreams!

rvi5

On the Ice
Yes, it is true. I have seen many posts with those types of comments in one form or another. In response to a height difference series of posts, I once calculated the height ratio between Duhamel/Radford and Castelli/Schnapir. The ratio was identical. Yet D/R seem to get far more of the criticism. As mentioned in the article, they do seem to be the subject of complaints more than any other recent Canadian skaters. Except maybe Patrick Chan?

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yes, it is true. I have seen many posts with those types of comments in one form or another. In response to a height difference series of posts, I once calculated the height ratio between Duhamel/Radford and Castelli/Schnapir. The ratio was identical. Yet D/R seem to get far more of the criticism. As mentioned in the article, they do seem to be the subject of complaints more than any other recent Canadian skaters. Except maybe Patrick Chan?

And Mira Leung of course. Skating shouldn't be on prototypes though sadly it does seem that way - let's be honest the American ladies kind of all have a generic princess look and a few tough words ie from Ashley means you have spunk but really look at the words of Kwan and they all kind of are cookie cutter. Good for Duhamel and Radford and they do have a different look but at least they aren't the Jeff and Mutt routines of some hulking guy and some prepubescent teen or waif being tossed around like a feather. D and R need to skate their style - which is a very powerful look not as lyrical. Under the new system arguably they should do better because their look may be different but as long as they have a the in betweens and connect with their music in their own way they sould score well - you may not like their style or genre but it could or should still score well. This is why a debater who you hate their position ie pro or against something but they can win on the fact like it or not they presented it well, did excellent research and were organized and spoke eloquently. Yet the judge strongly disagreed with the debater's position - like skating. Of co urse this takes someone being unbiased. I am pro life but the pro choice had all the elements well done and thus should score well - there is no spot for giving points for liking your position or interest as a judge.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
Well, there are other comments, unaddressed in this article, that the size difference, and skating skills difference, negatively impacts element execution and skating technique. I don't really have a problem with the aesthetics of their size/body type difference, nor a problem with Meagan's non-classical build. It's also really hard to dislike either one of them - they're practically a template for squeezing every ounce out of your talent and athletic capability. Not just their work ethic - everybody has a work ethic - but the results are impressive. Her improved bladework, their terrific conditioning, among other things. I don't know if all of the negative complaints are aesthetic. I've read some about the skating itself, and the elements are technically compromised, even if that's not acknowledged in the protocols.

Last edited:
Except maybe Patrick Chan?

At least Patrick Chan had a lot of enthusiastic fans to balance out the unkind critics. Plus, some of the criticism of Chan was really criticism of the judging system which happens to prize things Patrick does extremely well while not penalizing falls very much. Patrick as an individual skater just got caught in the middle of it all.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I was rather surprised by these remarks, but figure skating fans can be fickle and rather harsh at times. I find it kind of funny when one thinks of G&G and many other Russian pair teams over the years - often the lady is somewhat shorter than the man, it works for Russia. I think Meghan is a very out spoken and sure of herself kind of gal. Tracy Wilson is covering Nationals this season and made the comment that both Meghan and Eric state what their goals are and believe they will make them. I don't know, what is wrong with that. Competitive skating is very tough and to survive skaters have to be positive. I've noticed over the years American skaters have that kind of "love us or hate us" attitude and it works for them. Canadians traditionally are a more humble, let's wait for our turn type of competitors - even in other sports. Maybe Meghan and Eric are trying to change our image. I say Go Eric and Meghan. I veto Meghan - "why not? What's wrong with us being world champions?" If they have the stuff then more power to them.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Until you deal with Formula 1 fans, or soccer fans or ballet fans.

I think in every sport, the sportman is subject to critics, and even attacks. Part of how you manage it is what made a sportman/ woman stronger.

Back when Davis / White were around 14, people said that Charlie should change partners; that Meryl wasn´t goot enough, later around 2008-2009, people said that Charlie wasn´t good for Meryl.

The thing is you are never gonna please everybody, don´t google yourself or don´t read forums.

But I will said "fans" that tag or tweet directly to the skater their hate are the worst.

Agree.

I know the soccer fans very well. :mad: I live in Europe. And I love ballet so I read the comments under the videos on Youtube. They can write rude things about the greatest artists of the world.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I was rather surprised by these remarks, but figure skating fans can be fickle and rather harsh at times. I find it kind of funny when one thinks of G&G and many other Russian pair teams over the years - often the lady is somewhat shorter than the man, it works for Russia. I think Meghan is a very out spoken and sure of herself kind of gal. Tracy Wilson is covering Nationals this season and made the comment that both Meghan and Eric state what their goals are and believe they will make them. I don't know, what is wrong with that. Competitive skating is very tough and to survive skaters have to be positive. I've noticed over the years American skaters have that kind of "love us or hate us" attitude and it works for them. Canadians traditionally are a more humble, let's wait for our turn type of competitors - even in other sports. Maybe Meghan and Eric are trying to change our image. I say Go Eric and Meghan. I veto Meghan - "why not? What's wrong with us being world champions?" If they have the stuff then more power to them.

The problem for me isn't that Meghan is shorter but the lines don't match. Skating as one is part of the criteria. G/G had a huge height difference but their lines matched.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
Right, as bekalc says, there are actually skating issues that are either part of the body type/height difference or made noticeable by it, and IMO it's kind of a cop out to whine and pretend that the criticism is all shallow. That's a way to deflect substance criticism.

I've noticed over the years American skaters have that kind of "love us or hate us" attitude and it works for them.
I'd love to have that back if that's what it used to be like, because boy is whining about criticism in vogue.