2015 Canadian Nationals Senior Men Free Skate, Jan. 24 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2015 Canadian Nationals Senior Men Free Skate, Jan. 24

peg

Medalist
Nam has been improving at a phenomenal rate since moving to Orser. Last year he got the triple axel. This summer he got the quad. Since the fall he's improved his speed.... that bodes well for his future.

rain

Record Breaker
Nam has been improving at a phenomenal rate since moving to Orser. Last year he got the triple axel. This summer he got the quad. Since the fall he's improved his speed.... that bodes well for his future.

He has all the potential to become a world champion in the years to come. Totally exciting to have someone this good coming up in Canada.

Bumdid

Record Breaker
He has all the potential to become a world champion in the years to come. Totally exciting to have someone this good coming up in Canada.

Yep. And he seemed to be mentally solid as well.

peg

Medalist
And if Roman starts to get the big jumps, that's a second promising young man.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Nam was way ahead of the pack by a whole mile. I don't include Roman Sadovsky in this pack. Actually he was so good I would have put him on 3rd place. He was much better than Liam Firus.
Yes, Roman popped his Lutz, but he was amazing, no other mistake! 15 years old. Huge growth spurt...what a beautiful kid.

kresslia

Medalist
The great thing with Nam is when he goes for his jumps, I never think for a second that he's not going to land it. I never even believe he's going to have a sketchy landing. He just consistently nails every single jump.

^ Agree that I would have had Roman in third! I just don't like Liam AT ALL, sorry, and I'm glad to see Jeremy going to Worlds instead of him (presumably). These youngsters are so mentally strong I tell you...

Last edited:

dress

On the Ice
I don't even know what to say about a skate with a fall on a triple axel/quad supposedly putting the "pressure" on the leader, as per the commentator. Such is the state of Canadian skating :laugh:

The fields are not strong enough in the men's competition. Canada's strenght is in Ice Dance now

jan

On the Ice
Agreed

Nam was way ahead of the pack by a whole mile. I don't include Roman Sadovsky in this pack. Actually he was so good I would have put him on 3rd place. He was much better than Liam Firus.
Yes, Roman popped his Lutz, but he was amazing, no other mistake! 15 years old. Huge growth spurt...what a beautiful kid.

rain

Record Breaker
Yep. And he seemed to be mentally solid as well.

This is huge. With all the spotlight and the pressure of having a national title on the line many before him have crumbled. Not Nam. He thrived under spotlight and pressure here.

kresslia

Medalist
This is huge. With all the spotlight and the pressure of having a national title on the line many before him have crumbled. Not Nam. He thrived under spotlight and pressure here.
And he's already making a statement saying that he wants gold in 2018. He doesn't have to say that, as I don't think a lot of people are thinking quite so far ahead just yet considering he's still 16, but he's going there already. I think he ENJOYS the pressure and welcomes it.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
And he's already making a statement saying that he wants gold in 2018. He doesn't have to say that, as I don't think a lot of people are thinking quite so far ahead just yet considering he's still 16, but he's going there already. I think he ENJOYS the pressure and welcomes it.

Oh he has said that he's aiming for Olympic gold in Pyeongchang even before this season started. ;) And as you noted, that speaks well of his mental strength. If he continues to improve at his current pace, Patrick will have real competition at home, and I think the rivalry will be good for both of them.

peg

Medalist
Oh he has said that he's aiming for Olympic gold in Pyeongchang even before this season started. ;) And as you noted, that speaks well of his mental strength. If he continues to improve at his current pace, Patrick will have real competition at home, and I think the rivalry will be good for both of them.

Yes, I think the rivalry between Nam and Patrick for Canadian titles and between Nam and Hanyu/Javi in the training environment will really help push everyone involved.

Becki

Medalist

I am very impressed with Nam's consistency and improvement over the past few years. And to think, two seasons ago, he was 13th in a Junior GP and people thought he was overhyped...

peg

Medalist
I am very impressed with Nam's consistency and improvement over the past few years. And to think, two seasons ago, he was 13th in a Junior GP and people thought he was overhyped...

He always had the showmanship. But I really think Orser has been instrumental in helping improve his technical elements. Joanne McLeod only seems to be able to take her skaters so far... He wouldn't be where he is now if he had stayed with her.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't even know what to say about a skate with a fall on a triple axel/quad supposedly putting the "pressure" on the leader, as per the commentator. Such is the state of Canadian skating :laugh:

Nasty just nasty. Canada certainly is in a lull right now minus Rochette or I guess rather Osmond and Chan. I note looking at Chan's performance in October - he would have won hands down. Even with the triple axel shakey and shakey quads at the JapanOpen he still had far harder and better elements.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well I don't think Nam is a world contender - yet. THe judges love the quadless Jason Brown who would beat him with a flick of a ponytail. He still is a bit juniorish but he is just 16 years old - old I guess compared to Roman. Liam has wonderful skating skills but he isn't the level of Buttle or Chan nor does he have the triple axel at least. But in Canada the level is so low.. Sadly I agree good for J10 going for the quad though it seems kind of like well it is worth more with a fall than a triple toe might as well try it:) But boy ws it close; Liam must be furious about that last spin. But he did win a bronze. So close but sentimentally ay for J10. I still think Chan has far more sophistication and higher skating skills than Nam though not to mention harder jumps - Though Chan is well advised to get another quad or at least 2 triple axels that are solid in his free. Nam has been so consistent- kind of like a young Michelle Kwan - that is exactly what he needs to hope happens - in the next year he gets stronger skating skills and artistry and then watch out world I am curious how well he can compete with the American boys.

kresslia

Medalist
I hardly think the Americans are the guys Nam needs to worry about most. I'd be looking more at Hanyu and the other Japanese men, Javier, Patrick, hell, even Kovtun/Voronov before I'd worry about any Americans.

To clarify I'm not saying he'd beat them easily. Nah not at all, not yet. Just there are other people to worry about first before them.

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
Skater Boy, I agree that Nam isn't a world contender yet. But he's young, has loads of talent, and has been improving very quickly since moving to Orser. And apparently he has an incredible work ethic (which probably explains the improvement). I think his future is very bright