2015 Canadian Nationals Senior Ladies Free Skate, Jan. 24 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 Canadian Nationals Senior Ladies Free Skate, Jan. 24

Kissx3

Final Flight
Can't really complain about the current field since ladies has usually been pretty dead in Canada. Having 2 (+ the injured Osmond) respectably skilled young athletes remains an upgrade. The hope is of course that they can push each other over the next few years.

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
I agree with the above. Even with our top skater out with injury, we have two competent, enjoyable skaters plus the inoffensively pleasing (if a bit dull) 3th place. Sorry, the name is totally escaping me at the moment. (shame, shame) Veronik, or something?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
It will be nastier with only one spot next year if Gabby or Alaine don't make top ten or was it twelve to get two spots.
Could you stop repeating this? (And a lot of recent negativity around Canadian skaters). It's misleading. While Gabby and Alaine weren't great, their skates at Nationals would not lose Canada the two spots if they did the same at Worlds. Not unless all the other skaters have the skates of their lives. They are not the greatest skaters in the world, but they're certainly not "won't make the free skate", "likely to lose spots" quality.

Goodness, I'm hardly the uber-patriotic "Go, go, Canada!" person, but I'm baffled by your posts about how horrible the men, ladies, and pairs (sans D/R) are.

peg

Medalist
I agree. With how they've been skating this season, they should be able t0 keep those two spots. It's easier for two skaters to keep two spots than it is for one skater to earn two, because that requires a top ten finish

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Could you stop repeating this? (And a lot of recent negativity around Canadian skaters). It's misleading. While Gabby and Alaine weren't great, their skates at Nationals would not lose Canada the two spots if they did the same at Worlds. Not unless all the other skaters have the skates of their lives. They are not the greatest skaters in the world, but they're certainly not "won't make the free skate", "likely to lose spots" quality.

Goodness, I'm hardly the uber-patriotic "Go, go, Canada!" person, but I'm baffled by your posts about how horrible the men, ladies, and pairs (sans D/R) are.

:agree: In fact I found the Canadian competitions far more interesting than the US. Canada has way more depth in ice dance, pairs, with a number of teenage men & women with tons of potential.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
:agree: In fact I found the Canadian competitions far more interesting than the US. Canada has way more depth in ice dance, pairs, with a number of teenage men & women with tons of potential.

I don't agree with insulting the Canadians, in contrast I agree with your basic statment about the great stuff from Canadians; I was impressed by Nam's win and love Luba/Dylan and Julianne/Charlie (and respect Meghan and Eric). But the U.S. isn't chopped liver either. There's just as much depth in Ice Dance in the U.S. And the U.S. Ladies competition was great too. And we had a pair that just did a quad twist.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
To be honest, since I tend to prefer singles, I've actually enjoyed what I've seen of the US Nationals more than I have of Canadian Nationals (It didn't help that I had to miss Dance and Pairs tonight, and the network had issues with the Short Dance yesterday, preventing me from enjoying anyone except Weaver/Poje). But even I find certain criticisms of the Canadian men/women to be, frankly, inaccurate. Everything Gabby and Alaine have done thus far points to them keeping the two spots. Sure, they could certainly bomb and go down a spot, but so could people from other countries.

kresslia

Medalist

They're baffling me a bit too with the constant comparisons to the Americans. Idk, are you American, Skater Boy? Otherwise I don't know why you're bringing American skaters into the picture constantly here. Was it you who posted about wanting to knock Canada down to 2 pairs at Worlds so the Americans could get 3? Bizarre.

And yes, we actually aren't all that bad off in terms of the women. Alaine and Kaetlyn have the potential to put up some very nice numbers, and Gabby's not too shabby herself given her placement here.

peg

Medalist
Gabby finished only two spots behind Kaetlyn at last year's Worlds in her Worlds debut.

katia

On the Ice
Actually, Canada is quite good in women, it may not have depth of Russian women, but nevertheless compared to US or others it is not worse.
Canada is very good in pairs.
And in dance I think that other countries would not be against having pairs like the ones Canada had in the second flight. Some of them were really quite good. Their programs were very enjoyable, and all were different.
Canada is a little bit worse with men, but there is Nam Nguyen who improved so much that I can only say WOW. Also there is Roman Sadowsky who seems to have bright future.
So really, Canada is not worse then US or Russia.

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
I think in the singles events right now Canada has much less depth. If you compare them to the US ladies, so many of them did triple-triple combinations and had pretty clean skates - especially in the SP. But then again, they have a much larger population

rain

Record Breaker
I think in the singles events right now Canada has much less depth. If you compare them to the US ladies, so many of them did triple-triple combinations and had pretty clean skates - especially in the SP. But then again, they have a much larger population

This has always been true for Canadian ladies. There has never been depth in the field. Sometimes there hasn't even been one good skater. I remember a few painful national championships where someone has come away with the gold by landing maybe two or three easy triple jumps. I consider Canadian ladies to be doing quite well at this point. We have about four ladies (including Osmond) who can do decently on the international stage. And it's great that we have a number who are at least trying the really difficult tricks to measure up to the top in the world. It shows a promising degree of ambition. Are any of them in the medal hunt right now? No. But I don't count out the possibility that they could get there.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Ladies: Russia > USA > Japan > Canada
Men: Japan > Russia > USA > Canada
Pairs: Russia > Canada > USA >>> Japan
Ice Dance: Canada > USA > Russia >>> Japan

I think we're doing alright. :) Worse than Russia, but about equal to the US. And better than Japan (until they can get their pairs/ice dance on par with their singles).

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ladies: Russia > USA > Japan > Canada
Men: Japan > Russia > USA > Canada
Pairs: Russia > Canada > USA >>> Japan
Ice Dance: Canada > USA > Russia >>> Japan

I think we're doing alright. :) Worse than Russia, but about equal to the US. And better than Japan (until they can get their pairs/ice dance on par with their singles).
I think the US and Canada are about equal in Ice Dancing right now.

peg

Medalist
This has always been true for Canadian ladies. There has never been depth in the field. Sometimes there hasn't even been one good skater. I remember a few painful national championships where someone has come away with the gold by landing maybe two or three easy triple jumps. I consider Canadian ladies to be doing quite well at this point. We have about four ladies (including Osmond) who can do decently on the international stage. And it's great that we have a number who are at least trying the really difficult tricks to measure up to the top in the world. It shows a promising degree of ambition. Are any of them in the medal hunt right now? No. But I don't count out the possibility that they could get there.
I agree with all this, but I was responding to katia's post where she said if you compare Canadian ladies to the US they are not worse. That's simply not true.

rain

Record Breaker
I agree with all this, but I was responding to katia's post where she said if you compare Canadian ladies to the US they are not worse. That's simply not true.

I know. I'm agreeing with you.

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
Has our ladies' program EVER been comparable to the States' though? I grew up watching nationals in the post-Chouinard era so I think things are looking pretty good right now. I think there are many skating federations who would LOVE to have internationally-competent skaters in each division, nevermind three or four.