2015 Canadian Nationals Senior Ladies Free Skate, Jan. 24 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2015 Canadian Nationals Senior Ladies Free Skate, Jan. 24

kresslia

Medalist
Depth is great, especially when watching Nationals, but at the end of the day I'd personally take one superstar skater over a bunch of good but not great skaters that are unable to make a significant amount of noise internationally. D/R and W/P are good for the World title provided they go relatively clean, and once Patrick returns we have yet another World title favourite. So we'll soon have 3/4 disciplines with skaters at the absolute top of their game. That's exciting to me. Japan has a few favourites in Men's, USA has a favourite in Dance and to a much lesser extent Ladies, and Russia has favourites in Pairs and Ladies (though they aren't too shabby with Ice Dance and Men). We are pretty damn well off.

The women obviously aren't at that level, but I still think Alaine vs. Gabby vs. Kaetlyn will be entertaining to watch. All 3 of them have the potential to rank in the top 10 at Worlds if clean, and I think that's great for us.

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
Has our ladies' program EVER been comparable to the States' though? I grew up watching nationals in the post-Chouinard era so I think things are looking pretty good right now. I think there are many skating federations who would LOVE to have internationally-competent skaters in each division, nevermind three or four.

No, our ladies have never been comparable to the US. That has always been Canada's weakest discipline, and for a long time, men's was the strongest. Well, actually, I think at one point dance was our weakest and we only had one spot at worlds. But that was pre- Bourne/Kraatz (and at that point I think Chouinard and Karen Preston were actually doing reasonably well in ladies and we had two spots there)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think the US and Canada are about equal in Ice Dancing right now.
They're close, but I'll give the nod to Canada after Weaver/Poje won GPF. (The situation is a little different in Russia vs. Canada in pairs--though D/R won over S/K, S/K are overall still more successful, and everyone below D/R are way weaker than anyone in Russia, whereas the 2rd/3rd Canadian dance teams aren't a lot worse than the US teams).

No, our ladies have never been comparable to the US. That has always been Canada's weakest discipline, and for a long time, men's was the strongest. Well, actually, I think at one point dance was our weakest and we only had one spot at worlds. But that was pre- Bourne/Kraatz (and at that point I think Chouinard and Karen Preston were actually doing reasonably well in ladies and we had two spots there)
But, ironically, men's is the one OGM we are missing. I think we're eternally cursed (but I hope Nam isn't reading this :laugh:)

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
There has t be an expiry date on a curse, right? :laugh:
It's been one heck of an enduring curse. Think about it--Brian Orser was the "first" cursed one. He's now middle-aged and a coach, and his student has already won the first men's OGM for Japan (only about two generations removed from Takeshi Honda and Daisuke Takahashi who paved the road). Meanwhile, we still haven't won that freaking OGM, and we've had three people post-Orser who could've/should've/would've done it.

Darn you, Japan! You try once or twice and succeed; we try four times and still fail. :laugh:

peg

Medalist
It's been one heck of an enduring curse. Think about it--Brian Orser was the "first" cursed one. He's now middle-aged and a coach, and his student has already won the first men's OGM for Japan (only about two generations removed from Takeshi Honda and Daisuke Takahashi who paved the road). Meanwhile, we still haven't won that freaking OGM, and we've had three people post-Orser who could've/should've/would've done it.

Darn you, Japan! You try once or twice and succeed; we try four times and still fail. :laugh:
Four? More like at least five. Orser and Stojko both have two silvers, and Chan has one. Wait. Chan actually has two silvers with the one he won in the team event. Maybe that's the key to breaking the curse!! :laugh2:

(There's also the fact the Kurt failed to win any kind of medal in two Olympic appearances despite being four-time Worlds champion :slink:)

kresslia

Medalist
My dad's watched all of the men try and fail to capture gold. Brian Orser, Browning, Stojko, Chan, all of them. Needless to say, he's EXTREMELY negative about every single men's skater. He didn't believe for a second that PChiddy would win, even when he looked unbeatable and was destroying WRs. Haven't heard him utter a single word of praise for a Canadian man. He's bitter as hell. :laugh: That interestingly changed last night, he went so far as to say he thought Nam would eventually become the one to break the curse after his FS yesterday. I was quite taken aback.

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
I missed out on 88 and 92 but only because I didn't discover figure skating until 93 one afternoon while watching TV at my grandparents' (we only got a few channels on our own TV when I was a kid so missed out 'til then). Surya Bonaly was the first skater I ever saw. Loved her!

*ahem* Anyways, not making any predictions about Nam or anything Olympic-related. Too heart-breaking in the long run. ha ha A lot can change between now and 2018.

peg

Medalist
I started watching figure skating because I was in a college class with a national team member back in 1984 ;)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Four? More like at least five. Orser and Stojko both have two silvers, and Chan has one. Wait. Chan actually has two silvers with the one he won in the team event. Maybe that's the key to breaking the curse!! :laugh2:

(There's also the fact the Kurt failed to win any kind of medal in two Olympic appearances despite being four-time Worlds champion :slink:)
If you count it that way, then we've tried a good seven times: Orser twice ('84 and '88), Browning twice ('92 and '94), Stojko twice ('94 and '98), and Chan once ('14). And now Chan's gonna try again in 2018. :laugh: Hey, he could become the first with three silver medals!

kresslia

Medalist
Hey, he could become the first with three silver medals!
Good god, now this is going to happen for sure. There is no doubt in my mind :laugh::laugh:

My favourite part is how we had TWO monster skaters in '94 and STILL didn't win. Incredible.
Just looked up the '93 Worlds. We got gold and silver there even, leading up to the Olympics. LOOOOOOL.

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
Good god, now this is going to happen for sure. There is no doubt in my mind :laugh::laugh:

My favourite part is how we had TWO monster skaters in '94 and STILL didn't win. Incredible.
Just looked up the '93 Worlds. We got gold and silver there even, leading up to the Olympics. LOOOOOOL.
IIRC, from 1984 (Scott Hamilton) to 2010 (Lysacek), no reigning World Champion won Olympic gold. I'm about 99% sure of that - I looked it up once, but too tired to do that right now.

I had been hoping that since that particular curse was broken in 2010, Patrick had a chance last year. (It seems some of our skaters had been skating under a double curse for nearly 30 years)

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
IIRC, from 1984 (Scott Hamilton) to 2010 (Lysacek), no reigning World Champion won Olympic gold. I'm about 99% sure of that - I looked it up once, but too tired to do that right now.

I had been hoping that since that particular curse was broken in 2010, Patrick had a chance last year. (It seems some of our skaters had been skating under a double curse for nearly 30 years)
That curse doesn't work on Americans. American reigning World Champions win.

I've stated this before, but in case anyone missed it: Maybe there is no "Canadian curse." :p It's just a reigning World Champion curse. We just happen to be reigning World champions a lot of the time. It happens to non-Canadians too--most notably Plushenko in 2002... so of course he did the smart thing and withdrew from the 2005 World Championships, leaving poor Stephane Lambiel to pick up for the curse. :biggrin: (Maybe Stephane doesn't mind though, because the curse at least guarantees silver unless your name is Kurt Browning. I'm sure Brian Joubert would've taken that...).

Psst, Patrick, Nam... Do not win the 2017 World Championships. I don't care if you have to fall on both your quads, pop your axels to singles, and end the performance with a travelling sitspin that crashes into the boards! You'll thank me for it later, I promise! (Granted, seems like Patrick already tried this 2013 at Worlds... and it still didn't work out.)

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
LOL. That's bad but funny. I'm not actually superstitious but sometimes these curses make a strong case for themselves.

peg

Medalist
That curse doesn't work on Americans. American reigning World Champions win.

I've stated this before, but in case anyone missed it: Maybe there is no "Canadian curse." :p It's just a reigning World Champion curse. We just happen to be reigning World champions a lot of the time. It happens to non-Canadians too--most notably Plushenko in 2002... so of course he did the smart thing and withdrew from the 2005 World Championships, leaving poor Stephane Lambiel to pick up for the curse. :biggrin: (Maybe Stephane doesn't mind though, because the curse at least guarantees silver unless your name is Kurt Browning. I'm sure Brian Joubert would've taken that...).
You may be on to something here... :think:

Psst, Patrick, Nam... Do not win the 2017 World Championships. I don't care if you have to fall on both your quads, pop your axels to singles, and end the performance with a travelling sitspin that crashes into the boards! You'll thank me for it later, I promise! (Granted, seems like Patrick already tried this 2013 at Worlds... and it still didn't work out.)
He didn't try hard enough. He needs to incorporate more errors into his program :laugh2:

rosacotton

Final Flight

:laugh2:

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
I guess they'll have to forget what sport they're in and start speedskating around the rink. I'm picturing Chan in one of those helmets the short-track skaters wear. Maybe they could come out at the same time and mime out a relay race. Of course, Speedy might appreciate it and give them the gold anyways. No winning....and by "winning" I mean losing. Oh well.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
I don't agree with insulting the Canadians, in contrast I agree with your basic statment about the great stuff from Canadians; I was impressed by Nam's win and love Luba/Dylan and Julianne/Charlie (and respect Meghan and Eric). But the U.S. isn't chopped liver either. There's just as much depth in Ice Dance in the U.S. And the U.S. Ladies competition was great too. And we had a pair that just did a quad twist.

If you choose to read an insult in an observation of my preferences, that's your prerogative. I also enjoyed watching the U.S. teams in all four disciplines.:)