2015 Canadian Nationals Senior Free Dance, Jan. 24 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015 Canadian Nationals Senior Free Dance, Jan. 24

peg

Medalist
I don't think so. Their glitches were really quite small.
CTV did show P/O. I also love their free dance.
The problem on the one SBS combination jumps wasn't small. And the other glitches, while small, did take away points. Also, I think that when a program is flawless, judges tend to go more overboard on PCS

peg

Medalist
I'm bummed that P/O missed some of their levels. I would have loved for them to go to Worlds, and I enjoyed team much more than P/I

riceplate

On the Ice
Did Andrew have a bit of stumble on the twizzles at the end of the diagonal sequence?
Anyways, congrats to W/P on their title...Krylova/Carmelengo/Bourne will have they're first world champs soon!

peg

Medalist
So now that I've see W/P, I think they skated with less freedom and emotion here than at GPF. Looking at protocols, they also only got a level 2 for their first lift, and they got level 4 for it at GPF. So that took a point and a half off their BV. I think they would have been 2 or 3 points higher if they'd skated like they did at GPF.

rain

Record Breaker
Orford and Williams were fine, but in no way should have finished about P/O whose freedance was sublime.

I feel for P/I. They are fantastic dancers, but they've struggled so much with injuries and poor material.

Becki

Medalist
well. D/R had gliches, small ones, but still.
so you are right. But if they dialed back on inflation on them, why not on some others?
On the other hand, perhaps it is better, the others will be enouraged that they got good marks and work harder,. On the other hand 1st pairs (dance and sport) already know that they are good but they will also know that they will be no inflation for them, So they also work harder.

The gap between 1st and 2nd place in Pairs is already 40...I don't think Skate Canada wants to push it any further haha

katia

On the Ice
In pairs the gap should be like it is, if not more. I know that Luba and her partner have a lot of potential, but potential it is, not the present state
In dance is a little bit different, but I also think that there is huge difference between 1st and 2nd pair. However, I am not convinced that there is as much difference between 2nd and 3rd pair.

katia

On the Ice
Orford and Williams were fine, but in no way should have finished about P/O whose freedance was sublime.

I feel for P/I. They are fantastic dancers, but they've struggled so much with injuries and poor material.
me too.
I though that their short dance was not really "spanish", however their Free is quite good and should got more points. However I hope next year they get some more dramatic dance. This one is very light, very difficult (I think), but not very memorable.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
me too.
I though that their short dance was not really "spanish", however their Free is quite good and should got more points. However I hope next year they get some more dramatic dance. This one is very light, very difficult (I think), but not very memorable.

I guess you're talking about P/I here.. (right?)

They had a major miscalculation with their programs this year. From the very beginning of the season , I feared for them. I felt they would have done better to use a standard paso doble piece of music in the SD (one that encourages a stronger, more dramatic presentation).

Don't even get me started on the Frank Sinatra fiasco... But .. This reworking of In Your Eyes is something that can be much more polished by 4CC and World's. It may not be the ideal program, but so, so much better. Considering the short amount of time they had to produce something "new" , I find no problem with the order of finish, here.

Once again though, G/P have been over marked , their scores placing them closer to W/P than they deserve.

I'm happy for P/O.. their choice of FD could not have been better, but I don't really think they deserved to be placed above O/W, and they will be well set up for next year.

The success of P/O's FD has caused so much buzz (deservedly so), I can't help but feel a bit bad for O/W who have really made great strides this year, in their material, choreography, and in Thomas' lines, posture and truly matching Nicole... so while I agree those couples should have been close , maybe not so very close.. Anyway..I'm pleased for both couples.

The question of choices of material really took center stage this year and it played out up and down the ranks, nationally and internationally. A team that has been catching my eye for 2-3 years is C/B-G and their material has done them no favours , particularly the SD. If it was an attempt to get attention by being different, it was a step too far, and though they managed to climb back a bit with the FD, it wasn't special enough to be a lot of help.

rain

Record Breaker
They had a major miscalculation with their programs this year. From the very beginning of the season , I feared for them. I felt they would have done better to use a standard paso doble piece of music in the SD (one that encourages a stronger, more dramatic presentation).

Don't even get me started on the Frank Sinatra fiasco... But .. This reworking of In Your Eyes is something that can be much more polished by 4CC and World's. It may not be the ideal program, but so, so much better. Considering the short amount of time they had to produce something "new" , I find no problem with the order of finish, here.

I didn't mind their SD as much, but even with it being the first time out for their new FD I think they scored better with it here than they would have with their old one, which was a dud from the start. It's at least moving in the right direction. I really hope for better things for these two next year.

katia

On the Ice
Yes. I talked about P/I
It is not only O/W but also Edwards/Pang who much improved and had really very enjoyable program. In fact, all of programs of flight 2 were delightfull and each was different from the previous one. Often pairs had small glitches and could be better (of course), but I liked them all the same

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I didn't mind their SD as much, but even with it being the first time out for their new FD I think they scored better with it here than they would have with their old one, which was a dud from the start. It's at least moving in the right direction. I really hope for better things for these two next year.

Oh, I'm with you. I didn't mind the SD as much, but I had hoped for something more along the lines of P/C or Hur/Di style choreo and music choices for them. I certainly think they're capable of the correct Spanish positions, carriage of arms, etc.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
W&P finished 13 points higher than G&P. How much higher should they have finished? G&P skated very well, and Tracy Wilson said she thought this FD was their best program so far. The score that G&P got was not that much higher than what they've gotten internationally relatively speaking in terms of what it would translate into at Nationals. G&P have gotten scores of around 95 for their FD's internationally, so getting 104 isn't that much higher for a Nationals. W&P are getting marks now that are almost as high as what V&M used to get. One could argue that W&P's scores are too high as well. But it's hard to make these comparisons. As long as the overall ranking and scoring is in the basic range of where it should be, I don't think it's a big problem.

What's interesting though is that instead of their being a close competition this season like I expected between G&P and P&I, it's ended up being that G&P have widened the gap over P&I that they had started to build at 2014 Worlds. It's also interesting that P&I seem to have lost some ground to P&O and O&W. I didn't expect to see either team place ahead of them in the FD. It was surprising to see P&I finish 5th in the FD. Tracy Wilson said that while their new FD is very nice, because it is new it came across as less polished compared to P&O and O&W.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Ryan O..

I didn't say P/I ( or even W/P) should have been marked higher... I said I thought G/P were marked a bit high. This is the problem with inflations - they cannot be spread equally across the field ( there are upper ..and lower.. limits to where they can be used , and someone is bound to get the short end of the stick) This was nowhere near as bad, or obvious as it was in G/P's first year. I can't (and don't want to) get into a point by point breakdown .. but I would say a 15-16 point difference between W/P and G/P wouldn't have been at all out of line ( And this includes me giving G/P full credit for the improvements they've made over the last couple of years. They have undoubtedly worked very hard, overcome setbacks, etc. - as have many others. It comes with the territory, and all these young athletes have my admiration for coping with injury,and pushing through tough times.)

I agree with Tracy that this was the best program G/P have had... but that doesn't make it a standout program such as P/O have this year, or internationally , such as P/C , H/D (Sp.), C/B, maybe even H/D (US) and H/B, among others.. ( I'm leaving I/Z aside for now ).

Now if you want to compare G/P to P/I, I don't think you can believably argue that G/P are superior skaters. Period. There was a major mistake made on the part of P/I in the choice of material this year, which resulted in them having to change programs and come to nationals somewhat unpolished. I expect the program to be much more polished by 4CC and World's, but I'm dubious that just as a program, it will be comparable to some of the others I've mentioned. So I think that this mistake will make their progress over the next four years more difficult than it needed to be... It's like having a poor start in a footrace.

Any couple might come up with a really smashing program at any time, and be given credit for it ... but some times are more propitious than others , and with all the retirements, sittings out, absences due to injury, new formations, etc. this year , there was a great opportunity to seize the moment ... which was missed.

I wasn't at all surprised to see their finish in the FD, given the situation.

As for G/P, I would argue that 9 points is a pretty big inflation (How often have we seen people complaining about 4 or 5 points?). They have continually been given gifts in the PCS department .. and really, the way PCS scores are awarded needs some kind of adjusting. (I don't know what it would take to fix it.) I thought their SD was considerably over marked here, which gave them quite an initial boost.

Yes, I agree that a gap has been opened between them and the next 3 couples.. but not on the basis of their actual skating .. a good deal of it comes through bias .. being given plum assignments, inflated marks and there being a perception, internationally, that this is the couple Skate Canada wants to promote.

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
I think Weaver and Poje is the team that Canada is most decidedly behind. Me too. BUT I really like Gilles and Poirier, especially the improvement and risks they take with innovative programs. Paul and Islam are pleasant but something has been missing the last couple years. I think P/I have the qualities that the Americans Hawayek and Baker are showing. But P/I have had set backs, bad luck and overall not the competitions they wanted. Other teams are threatening for that third spot.

cocofeliz

Rinkside
Ryan O..

I didn't say P/I ( or even W/P) should have been marked higher... I said I thought G/P were marked a bit high. This is the problem with inflations - they cannot be spread equally across the field ( there are upper ..and lower.. limits to where they can be used , and someone is bound to get the short end of the stick) This was nowhere near as bad, or obvious as it was in G/P's first year. I can't (and don't want to) get into a point by point breakdown .. but I would say a 15-16 point difference between W/P and G/P wouldn't have been at all out of line ( And this includes me giving G/P full credit for the improvements they've made over the last couple of years. They have undoubtedly worked very hard, overcome setbacks, etc. - as have many others. It comes with the territory, and all these young athletes have my admiration for coping with injury,and pushing through tough times.)

I agree with Tracy that this was the best program G/P have had... but that doesn't make it a standout program such as P/O have this year, or internationally , such as P/C , H/D (Sp.), C/B, maybe even H/D (US) and H/B, among others.. ( I'm leaving I/Z aside for now ).

Now if you want to compare G/P to P/I, I don't think you can believably argue that G/P are superior skaters. Period. There was a major mistake made on the part of P/I in the choice of material this year, which resulted in them having to change programs and come to nationals somewhat unpolished. I expect the program to be much more polished by 4CC and World's, but I'm dubious that just as a program, it will be comparable to some of the others I've mentioned. So I think that this mistake will make their progress over the next four years more difficult than it needed to be... It's like having a poor start in a footrace.

Any couple might come up with a really smashing program at any time, and be given credit for it ... but some times are more propitious than others , and with all the retirements, sittings out, absences due to injury, new formations, etc. this year , there was a great opportunity to seize the moment ... which was missed.

I wasn't at all surprised to see their finish in the FD, given the situation.

As for G/P, I would argue that 9 points is a pretty big inflation (How often have we seen people complaining about 4 or 5 points?). They have continually been given gifts in the PCS department .. and really, the way PCS scores are awarded needs some kind of adjusting. (I don't know what it would take to fix it.) I thought their SD was considerably over marked here, which gave them quite an initial boost.

Yes, I agree that a gap has been opened between them and the next 3 couples.. but not on the basis of their actual skating .. a good deal of it comes through bias .. being given plum assignments, inflated marks and there being a perception, internationally, that this is the couple Skate Canada wants to promote.

I could not agree more with you. I am still hoping for P/I to surge ahead. They are beautiful skaters and it is about time they lived up to their enormous talent...