Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best program of the year

Best program of the year

Okay folks, now that we've seen another year come to an end--and for those of you who saw the cheesefest on ABC, wasn't the use of the Rent song, 525,600 minutes, simply GORGEOUS?--which PROGRAM was the best you saw this year? I know many things to into this equation, i.e. like/dislike the skater, "on" vs flat performance of the program, but try to keep it simple. Think more of the structure of the program, choreography, how it worked well with the music, etc., as much, or more so, than the actual skater.

Hope this makes sense & that there's a point to this

Sarah

Custom Title
    well, I can talk only about ice dance... I liked a lot the FD of Denkova&Staviyskiy and Faiella&Scali.

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    For symphonic rock, I liked Fumie's Paint it Black SP and Tim's Queen LP. They weren't as musaky as I'd thought they'd be, but quite nice and the choreo in both was nice IMHO. Kudos to Lori, who I think is anything but "the same old, same old, everytime"

People like to diss Morosov as "too easy" but the one thing I like about his choreo is that his programs have a distinct look and a feel of something that has jelled, even if they aren't as complex as some others, at least they work. I liked Jubert's Matrix and KvdP's Tango SP and Robin Hood LP. Even Kwan's so-so Tosca had a sit-up-and-take-notice ending and Sebastian's Tango LP was her best ever. So, people can whine all they want about lack of inbetweens, at least they have an artistic vision and follow thru on it, as unambitous as it may be. Unfortunately, not everyone can say that about thier LP.

Sasha's Swan Lake at Cambell's. Well there was a lot I didn't like about it, but Kudos to TT for creating a Sasha LP that didn't make me cringe. It was different and interesting and I just wanted to run down and kiss her for changing that dreaded "BeaverCleaver" from the ending pose. It was the first program I had ever seen her do that wasn't "same old, same old". Of course, as the season progressed the life was slowly drained out of it and the BC regained it's rightful place as hideous finish to a mediocre LP.

I enjoyed (gasp: am I actually using the word "enjoy" in the same sentance with P&T!) P&T's Princess of the Circus LP. I thought it was the only memorable program they ever did.

Although Nutcracker is kinda lame, I thought that S&Z did an excellent job with their LP.

I think this is the frist year that I actually "got" Sandu, but I really liked his LP. Very different and left of center.

Custom Title
    where can I find the video of Kerrs' FD?

Custom Title
    Dance:

Denkova and Stavisky FD was my fave all season long, I love their style and the detail of the choreography. In second comes the Matrix FD from the Kerrs because that was definitely a good program, everything to do with the music... loved it. And in third I would have the ODs from both D/S and N/K. N/K's straightline footwork was terrific and D/S slow part of the program was... wow.

Pairs:

Petrova and Tikhonov Circus Princess LP My favorite program from them and how nice to see this two fabulous skaters skating something that doesn't make you go zzz.

Ladies:

This one is hard. I loved Swan Lake that Sasha Cohen began the season with but then it got different everytime and at Worlds it was awful. By the end of the season my favorite is definitely Irina Slutskaya's Queen of Spades. Loved the music, the choreography, everything! I also loved Joannie Rochette's LP, she connected so well with the music IMO. Shizuka Arakawa's Turandot at Worlds was fantastic as well, but I think it was more the performance that awed me than the program itself.

Men:

Like happened with Sasha, began the season loving Plushenko's LP because it was a little different for him, but as the season went on I got so tired of it. I think it had tons of potential but somehow it never went beyond the "potential". I LOVED Weir's SP, I have nothing more to say LOL! Same goes for Sandhu's SP, now THAT is a Flamenco/ Tango program, his footwork and interpretation couldn't be better! I think I enjoyed watching all programs for one reason or another, but these two SPs are what stood out the most for me.

Rogue Leader
    Hmmm, lots to choose from. Sasha's LP at the beginning of the season. I really enjoyed the new LP of T&M. They really impressed me this year. Plushenko's LP. I think he still needs to branch out a bit more, but it was lovely nonetheless.

I agree with Faiella&Scalli's FD. I really enjoy them. B&A's OD. I love the straightline footwork. Sandhu's tango. When he was on, it was great.

Wish I could have seen the Kerrs. I hear so many great things about them.

I think the hands down best program was Shen & Zhao's Nutcracker. It was gorgeous!
    Honorable mentions to Fumie's Paint it Black

Rooting for the Kerrs!
    My favourite *programmes* of the year:

Pairs -
    Shen & Zhao's Nutcracker LP and Come What May EX
    Those two were my favourites, I think, but I also liked Petrova & Tikhonov's Circus Princess LP (especially at Euros) and EX, & Totmianina & Marinin's SP. I can't really think of any others that jumped out at me, off the top of my head

Dance -
    Kerrs Matrix FD! :D Wonderful, especially at Euros (and their reactions at the end of it were great. Probably the standing ovation that did it!)
    Faiella & Scali FD and OD (IIRC), Denkova & Staviyski FD, also liked Delobel & Schoenfelder's FD (esp. at Euros)

Ladies -
    Sasha's Malaguena SP (though I prefer last season's, as this year there were some small changes. Her performance at Worlds was great though). I also really liked Fumie's Mozart LP, and on having seen it more times, Kwan's Tosca is growing on me (definitely liked it better than Sasha's LP). Haven't seen Fumie's Paint it Black or Sasha's 1st Swan Lake yet, but hopefully will soon. Quite liked Kwan's Falling EX too.

Mens -
    Plushenko's LP at Worlds, Van der Perren's LP at Worlds, Lambiel's LP at Euros and Worlds (he did different ones). Also liked Joubert's SP & LP, although not as much. Also loved Sandhu's LP.

Swan Lake (Cohen) and this is from a Kwanfan. Of course, thee is S&Z, too.

Joe

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    Joe,
    Just curious, which version of Swan Lake did you like - TT or RW?

Langlois & Archetto's Leyanda short program! *runs and hides*

Sasha's 1st LP & Michelle's Morozov footwork

Two things:

1--Icenut84, you can find the very first Swan Lake from Campbell's, a flawless skate but for a two-footed landing on a triple flip, at
    www.cruelladekwan.com

Click on Other Skaters

2--I was just remarking the other day how Morozov's step sequences fit Michelle like a GLOVE--the difference with her old footwork from pre-Morozov programs is night and day. Her body movement, her arms, Morozov's footwork is like a dress that fits and flatters her to no end. Every time she launches into the step sequences, it just feels that Michelle, heart and soul, comes through with 110% intensity and power, as Mathman once said, carving her address on the ice so they know where to send her 8th US Nats championship (& her lifetime achievement award!)

Sarah

Rogue Leader
    I agree Morozov's choreagraphy looks great on Michelle. On some other skaters it's like "another freakin' Morozov program", but hers are wonderful.

Tripping on the Podium

I believe that Yukina Ota had the best overall programs of the season.

My fav's, Shen and Zhao's "Nutcracker" without a doubt.....42

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast