Wagner still hungry to learn and improve | Golden Skate

Wagner still hungry to learn and improve

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USA’s Ashley Wagner won her third national title in Greensboro, N.C., on Saturday after laying down two solid performances. It was the first competition where she said she would do it, and she delivered.

More

andromache

Record Breaker
I really love the quotes from Ashley in this article. She's not backing down on her confidence (which others have criticized her for), and she recognizes that she still needs to work on improving her jumps.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Nice quotes from Ashley. Good for her for staying confident and not listening to the negativity. :cheer:
I admire her for upping her technical content as well and not resting on her PCS to gain points. It's risky, but there's no other way to aim for the podium this year. :cheer:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Great article, I love how she has a healthy love both competing and skating. A lot of people criticize her and have mistaken her confidence as arrogance, as if she thinks she's above everyone else but her confidence is more in her own ability to constantly improve which she has shown us so many times over the years. She knows what she herself needs to work on and and isn't afraid to take risks. Rock on Ashley!

Oreo

On the Ice
Ashley is a total inspiration. And good for her for telling all the negative doomsayers to shut their mouths and watch her skate :rock: No doubt she directed that to a lot of people who post on these forums.

cooper

Medalist
at least there's someone from the US who is competitive.. i think that's the one they need.. some competitive fire which is lacking..

penguin

On the Ice
This is a great interview. I really like that Ashley's bold statements aren't defensively dismissive, like she's not saying that haters can go suck it and leaving it at that. She actually is very self-aware and points out all her biggest weaknesses up front, which is really telling. It shows she's really serious about improving herself and not just throwing out a bunch of promises.

LRK

Record Breaker
Great article. Really interesting insights into Ashley's mindset and how she has perceived the season. Congratulations on your win, Ashley.:)

daphna

On the Ice
Wagner is amazing. She's truly underrated, and I hope she finally brings it at worlds and wins a medal. her LP is the best in the world this year, and I hope the judges will reward her sophistication over the Russian jumping machine babies (and don't get me wrong, i love watcing them).
Can't believe she actually switched to a 3 lutz-3 toe, did the loop-sal combo, and a second lutz! Not too many years ago she was dbl footing EVERYTHING!
Amazing progress, she's in the shape of her life, the jumps looks easy, and she's a terrific personality.
GO DIVA WAGNER FOR WORLDS!

flying camel

Medalist
She is a true inspiration to some of the younger ladies in the US. She has improved her skating at 23 years of age. It just takes hard work and maybe getting help with your technique. Just think if Cesario got someone to help her with her skating skills. She would be fantastic.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Wagner is amazing. She's truly underrated, and I hope she finally brings it at worlds and wins a medal. her LP is the best in the world this year, and I hope the judges will reward her sophistication over the Russian jumping machine babies (and don't get me wrong, i love watcing them).
Can't believe she actually switched to a 3 lutz-3 toe, did the loop-sal combo, and a second lutz! Not too many years ago she was dbl footing EVERYTHING!
Amazing progress, she's in the shape of her life, the jumps looks easy, and she's a terrific personality.
GO DIVA WAGNER FOR WORLDS!

I agree with all of this. Her flutz was very consistent before but I wasn't sure if she would ever be able to fix the edge problem. She is at least able to get it to "!" so I'm optimistic she can eventually get it on the outside edge. Watching her previous performances I never thought she would get the 3/3 because it never looked like she had the technique to do it. It still looked a bit rushed between the jumps but she got it around. I'm very happy for her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wagner is amazing. She's truly underrated,

You know, I stopped there for a moment...and thought about it. It's actually true...she IS underrated. No one expected much from her when she came on the scene. No one expected her to be top 5 in the world, let alone a possible medal contender. Even now, there are questions as to whether she can break through to the very top, although she's much closer to doing that than I think any of us would have ever imagined.

It's usually the opposite - most of the skaters come on the scene with a lot of promise, they are hyped to the heavens, and then shot down if they don't deliver or live up to everyone's lofty expectations. In Wagner's case, she never had to deal with this, but still faced her own setbacks. In retrospect, missing that 2010 team was probably the best thing to ever happen to her, as that experience was instrumental in her decision to make the moves she made to get to where she is now.

Moving forward from 2014, I really did think she had peaked and was on her way out. At least she had that team Oly bronze so she could go out on a good note. Good to be proven wrong, though, because the U.S. still needs her. Gold cannot really do it by herself - the two need each other and hopefully that rivalry has a ripple effect to the other US talent where they step it up too.

The only thing is that with all the tech increases, the risk for injury becomes much higher. I guess it's a necessary evil though to get to the top. I do hope she can make it to where she wants to go (i.e. 2018) in one piece.

Last edited:

Figure 8's

On the Ice
I admire Ashley for striving to improve. The US has had too many one skate wonders in the past years, that is great to see someone who does not rest on their past laurels but wants to get even better. Good luck Ashley and I hope you achieve your goals.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think Ashley is a true inspiration, and a worthy leading lady. She is often underrated because people compare her with the American ladies of times past--the Yamaguchis and Kwans. But those are big shoes to fill for any skater. Ashley is a prime example of making the most of the talent you have. Is she ever going to become Olympic champion or 5-time World champion? Maybe not, but I'm so proud of all she's accomplished, and her Federation and her country should be too.

Thank you, Ashley, for staying. Even when everyone else said you were too old and should retire.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Ashley is a true inspiration, and a worthy leading lady. She is often underrated because people compare her with the American ladies of times past--the Yamaguchis and Kwans. But those are big shoes to fill for any skater. Ashley is a prime example of making the most of the talent you have. Is she ever going to become Olympic champion or 5-time World champion? Maybe not, but I'm so proud of all she's accomplished, and her Federation and her country should be too.

Thank you, Ashley, for staying. Even when everyone else said you were too old and should retire.

:agree:

desertskates

Medalist
Great article! I do believe Ashley is here to stay through Pyeongchang. The improvement just through this season has been amazing. I wish her all the best, and pray she stays free of injury :)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Great article! I do believe Ashley is here to stay through Pyeongchang. The improvement just through this season has been amazing. I wish her all the best, and pray she stays free of injury :)

Another aspect that impressed me was how strong she was through the end of her program. She did not look fatigued at all on the last lutz or final spin. This might be because her programs are a little lighter on transitions but for me it's the right balance if it allows her to execute everything as strongly as she did.