Is Sasha's Road to Torino Paved with Easy Gold? or ... | Golden Skate

Is Sasha's Road to Torino Paved with Easy Gold? or ...

will there be heavy competition on the road to and in Torino?

Here are some musings of her obstacles:

The Americas:; Michelle Kwan; and another USA skater TBA.
Joannie Rochette, Cynthia Phaneuf

The Japanese: Shizuka Arakawa; Miki Ando; and a third skater
TBA.

The Russians: Irina Slutskaya; Elena Sokolova; Vikka

The Otheer Europeans: Julia Sebastyen; Carolina Kostner;
Suzanna Poykio; Elena Liashenko[

This is not a Prediction Thread!! It is just your observation of what might prevent America from its 8th Ladies Oly at this time.

Joe

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Oh, Joe, I can't help feeling that you are being purposely provocative in this thread. I doubt anyone in good conscience can say that Sasha will have an "easy gold" when she only has 1 World medal, and even that a silver.

I do think that Sasha has a potential to outskate everyone. However, even if she does pull herself together in Torino, it surely won't be an easy victory.

In your list, I disagree with your "Japanese" list. I'd say it's three from: Shizuka Arakawa, Miki Ando, Fumie Suguri, Yukina Ota, and whatever other skater can get in.

Pitchka - As I was scribbling out those names, I did feel how not easy it would be, not only for Sasha, but everyone else I listed. It will be a tough competition on the Road (GPs, Nats and the PreOly Worlds in Moscow as well as winding up in Piedmonte. The cost of these events will be prohibitive and we must rely on ESPN. I justr hope they televise everthing at whatever hour of the morning just so I can at least tape it

Yes, I was being provocative. It's something for the summer.

Joe

Excidra2001

On the Ice
Are you saying Sasha will be on the only major contender heading into Torino games?

I don't really think Sasha has to worry about any European lady except the Russians.
The Japanese have alreayd shown they are not going any where but to the top, Arakawa will be a contender heading into the Olympics but whether she will win a medal or gold is a big question. Pressure will be on her as it was on Slutskaya, Japanese's only Olympic medal came from Ito and that was back in the early 90s. Now that they have a gold medal contender, they will push her to obtain that gold medal. How Arakawa will take the pressure.
Then there is Kwan, still lurking around the top, who knows she might just take it. I would not be surprised if she does not. I have a feeling she will surprise us.
Slutskaya, will be amongest the top ladies if she is consistent again(alas 2002) Can she add a second Olympic medal to her resume or will she take the gold medal. As long as her game is tight(lol) she will be fight for that top spot.

With the ladies I mentioned above, it does not look easy for Sasha. She might just settle for 4th again or she might take the gold.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I don't think any of the Ladies has become a clear favorite. Arkawara had a great Worlds, but she hasn't been known for her consistency either. TT might be an advantage, but I haven't figured out how they are managing the language problem. That could become more frustrating as time goes by.

The rest of it is the same old jumps vs presentation problem. The rest of the Japanese ladies might be better at jumping, but imo, can't begin to match Kwan or Cohen in presentation skills. There is always the possibility of another ''skate of a lifetime'' takes it all. The only thing I am fairly sure of is that I'll be watching.

Enero

On the Ice
Well said SusanBeth
I think it's going to be a tough road for everyone and that any could come out on top. Two years is still a ways away and just because someone is doing wonderfully now, doesn't mean they'll still have that same momentum in 2006 and visa versa. I think it's going to be an exciting two years though!

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
When was the last time that ladies was so wide open?
It seems anyone in the top 6...heck even more...can win it with a great skate.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I don't think Slutskaya or MK will be a factor. And as much I hope Sasha will win, I see it being more like someone like Ando or some little American jumping bean. Joe keeps on saying Bebe. So Bebe vs. Ando?

euterpe

Medalist
Sasha's greatest obstacle is.....SASHA!

Over a 4-year time span, she has not shown she can hold it together in a major event. This season, she was unbeatable in her GP events, but made major mistakes in the GPF. She won Nationals SP, but after 2.5 flawless minutes, blew the FS. At 2004 Worlds, she won the QR and SP but couldn't do in the FS what she had done so easily in the QR.

The pressure will be even greater in Turin.

shine

Record Breaker
Gah. I'm so sick of hearing people say that Cohen's biggest competition is herself, as if the competitions were all hers to win. If we can say that about her, so can we say so about many other skaters.

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
To answer the first question in your subject title...NO.

And even if Sasha is not the one to win Olympic gold, who's to say another American woman won't?

Kasey

Fossi

Final Flight
I don't think it'll be easy for Sasha. This season wasn't easy for her and some say she dominated. She still made mistakes along the way. I don't even think Sasha will be the favorite going into Turnio.
I'm not counting Shizuka out. I'm not counting Michelle Kwan out. I'm not counting Irina out. I'm not even counting Sarah out. And Miki Ando has just begun.
I think Sasha had her best shot at World gold this year, and blew it. I am not so sure she'll get that close to World gold again.

soogar

Record Breaker
I think that Sasha's mistakes are growing pains. Everyone develops in a different way and I think Sasha will have other opportunities for Worlds gold and the OGM. Even if Sasha doesn't win worlds next year, she will still be in the hunt for the OGM and without that pressure, she might skate great and win the OGM. MK has won everything in sight and she still doesn't have an OGM. Sasha still has room for improvement and she's taking the steps she needs to better her skating.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
You heard it here folks.........the gold in Torino will go to either Michelle or Sasha...you may quote me....:) 42

ks777

Record Breaker
I don't think it will be easy to win for any skaters. I think the main contenders for the gold at Torino are Shizuka, Sasha, Michelle, Miki Ando, Kostner, Yukina Ota, Irina, Kimmie or Katy.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Barring injuries

I see the two most talented ladies as Sasha and Yukina Ota. Jenny Kirk is world class. They give her lower than deserved marks all the time. I really wish she'd leave Callaghan, work with Tarasova, Morosov and Laurie Nichols for choreo. It is just too much to be in the shadow of the Kwan and Sasha, "the Legend" and "the Phenom".... and now her training partner is world champ.

I don't think she is gonna fare well mentally feeling so put back in the pack. I want to see Jenny on that Podium and she clearly has the goods to get there.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Both Shizuka and Jenny have left Callaghan.

I would like to throw Victoria Pavuk into the mix for OGM. If she gets her nerves under control and someone can polish off her moves, she'll be amazing. I'd like to see her work with Tarasova.

Laura :)

sarahmistral

On the Ice
ks777 said:
I don't think it will be easy to win for any skaters. I think the main contenders for the gold at Torino are Shizuka, Sasha, Michelle, Miki Ando, Kostner, Yukina Ota, Irina, Kimmie or Katy.

Right on, ks777...going into 2004-2005, the pre-Olympic season, all bets are truly off, and the field is WIDE open. Right on schedule, top contenders (the "big 3" Shizza, MK, & Sasha) are making career-defining decisions about their coaching situations and plans for the next two years, and the results, which we've only seen a glimpse of, will be incredibly obvious come fall. What is more, I see everyone who finished below the top three looking to follow suit and trying to put themselves on a smooth track to improve through. Finally, the skaters upping the ante technically will get the expected nods, but so will a Sasha or a Yukina on an "on" night, for talent of the kind they have is just as rare as the quads and the 3/3s. So, do I think "da Swan's" road to Torino is paved with easy gold? In a word, no, as nothing will come easy in such a deep field. I'm excited to see all the skaters develop and grow in the months and years to come, especially Sasha, Yukina, and Suzanna Poykio. I'd also like to see what Jenny can get out of the rumored coaching change, if it is confirmed. It's a new day in ladies' skating, and I don't expect any skater to revert to old, bad habits and repeat the nervous errors of performances past, at least not Sasha or Michelle in Turin, so, to me, it doesn't make any sense to "naysay". Their extensive experience has given them ample opportunities to learn from and cope with the highest pressure situations, and conquering their nerves on the Olympic stage is surely something both are working towards as much as triple lutzes or split jumps or spins.

How I'd L:love::love::love::love:VE to be there:)

Sarah