It's official--Jenny & Coach Callaghan go to Splitsville... | Golden Skate

It's official--Jenny & Coach Callaghan go to Splitsville...

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So Sarah who do you think she might pick?

Dee

In the latest Blades on Ice there are additional details (p. 61), from Callaghan's point of view, about Arakawa's leaving Callaghan and Callaghan subsequently refusing to coach Onda.

At Dortmund, "Callaghan did not want to distract Arakawa during the world championships...so he had no plans to talk to her while she was competing.

"Asked if she and Callaghan had spoken in Dortmund, Arakawa replied that she had not yet had the opportunity, but that she would like to thank him for his help." (CLASS!)

For an eye-popping picture of beautiful Jen, see page 41, op. cit.

Mathman

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Well, Dee, I'd like the rumors about Frank Carroll and Jenny to be true, as she needs someone firm yet extremely compassionate after all she's been through, and Richard Callaghan's beyond driven, almost icy reactions in the K&C always rub me the wrong way. I was watching my 98 Nagano tapes, and he has this strange, almost confrontational gleam in his eye as he smacks the boards in celebration of Tara's clean, fabulous LP...I'm not saying you can judge a person by a few glimpses of him or her in the Kiss n' Cry, but I just think that Tara thrived under his tutelage because she had her eyes on the prize and wasn't dealing with tragedy in her young life like Jenny is. Tara was an iron-willed competitor and as such, she matched up pretty well with Callaghan.

So, yeah, back on topic:) I think Frank would be a great coach for her, especially at this point in her life when she needs support and sensitivity from a coach as much as she needs disciplined guidance.

Sarah

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have heard she was seen skating with Frank in L.A. in the Jenny thread on FSU. So this rumor may well be true.

I expect Frank to arrange good choreography for her.

However, I don't expect him to fix her flutz or improve her technique so the jumps are bigger. Well, one thing at a time.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
I think Jenny would be better off going back to the scottvolds, or have a senior female coach, like wagner or TT. Problem would be she would not be number 1 on their lists. How about Sandra Bezic as both coach/choreographer? Or Carol Heiss Jenkins?

JOHIO2

Medalist
If I had a vote in the matter (which of course I don't), I'd want Jenny to come to Cleveland and work with Carol Heiss Jenkins. Purely selfish reason -- I want to be able to watch her practice!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
It always seemed to me the Scotvold's students had problems with nerves and never could hold up completely. I never knew for sure if it had anything to do with them or just happened that they just got the ones with more nerves. :\

berthes ghost

Final Flight
It always seemed to me the Scotvold's students had problems with nerves and never could hold up completely.
Really, like who?
I wouldn't say Nancy: anyone who could lay down so many perfect SPs when every little mistake could put you out of the running, to me has nerves of steel. I think that her LPs problems were all stamina/training issues.
Paul maybe? His problem was suposidly he never trusted muscle memory and just thought about it too much. I guess that's nerves.
Lisa? I don't know much about her.
Back when Jenny was with the Scotvolds, she was suppose to be the model of consistantcy. I don't remember her ever getting nervous. I think her problems with Richard are techique issues rather than nerves. I think that they have been messing with her tech to improve speed, jump height, etc.. and that ruined her consistantcy.
Who else did they have?

dizzydi

On the Ice
Jenny.......

Please not back to the Scotvold's. I was so happy when Jenny left them. I think her skating improved so much after leaving them. I thought Jenny was skating a lot like Nancy Kerrigan during her Scotvold years--a style I don't particularly like.

I think after leaving the Scotvold's, Jenny was able to do some wonderful programs, like her Chicago number from last year. It really showed off Jenny's style and presentation. If she could capture that energy and ethusiasm of her Chicago program in some future short and long programs, she would be threatening the ladies at the top.

Apparently Callahan's coaching wasn't working for her and I respect that she is making a change. I just hope she teams up with someone who can inspire her.

I just had a thought.......since Jenny has been skating, or practicing pairs, perhaps she will focus on that venue instead of ladies singles. What do you guys think?

Dizzy

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I just had a thought.......since Jenny has been skating, or practicing pairs, perhaps she will focus on that venue instead of ladies singles. What do you guys think?
The general consensus on the web that I've read so far is no for the following reasons: 1. Fedor will probably not want to leave Detroit , his coach, his Mother, etc...2. She was never really that serious about it 3. At least with Fedor, there was the problem of which country to represent 4. She's had a lot of sucess with singles, and proably isn't ready to make a splash with pairs yet 5. She was seen parcticing/meeting with Frank Carroll recently.

gezando

Final Flight
but I just think that Tara thrived under his tutelage because she had her eyes on the prize

Tara has enormous talent, and mental toughness, I think she would thrive under any coach. In an Newsweek article in 1999, Tara talked about an incident when she was only 14, she did not do well in a competition, and RC was very tough on her. She ended up hiding in a closet and cried her heart out.

Jhar55

Medalist
After watching Jenny skate Sunday and sitting in the k&c thinking she needs different coach. Also she needs to do something with her hair, she has beautiful hair but weighs it down with too much hair spray and the syles are old lady looking.
Callahan always looks uncomfortable sitting with the young girls he coachs.

ladybug

On the Ice
I think Frank would make a good coach for Jenny and combine that with Lori's chorography - that would be better than great.

BUT, if Jenny is looking for a compassionate coach, I don't think Frank is right for her. There were many times in the K&C with Michelle that he appeared so cold. I will never forget when Michelle won Worlds in 2001 and she was hugging him and crying. He didn't respond to her at all. He didn't even hug her back. I always felt that was the beginning of the end of their relationship. Especially if she watched the tape after she came down from her high.

Isn't Jenny's sister married? If so, she cannot uproot herself and her husband for Jenny to move to another coach.

Ladybug