Adelina Sotnikova to compete on Russian "Dancing With the Stars" | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova to compete on Russian "Dancing With the Stars"

missysays

On the Ice
I think it will be fine. In the last few seasons, the US version of DWTS have been trying to bring a younger demographic to the show by casting just 18 or even not quite 18 celebrities. The producers and pros have done a good job keeping the numbers age appropriate and not overtly sexy. And the male pros have been done a good job not dancing in an overtly sexy or romantic way with their younger partners.

You can just check out on YT the dances with Derek Hough and his 18/19 yr old partner Bethany Mota, Mark Ballas and 17 yr old Sadie Robertson from this past season. Their dances were all tastefully choreographed and performed. Unless the DWTS Russian producers are pushing a different angle, Gleb was on the US DWTS around this time and I'm sure will be taking notes from his US counterparts and how they handled having younger partners. Not to mention he was part of a trio number in season 16 of DWTS where he danced with an at the time 16 yr old Disney star competitor so he'll be used to it.

Scott512

Record Breaker
After thinking about it, it's a bit of a "risky" move for her. On one hand, her haters will likely bash her more for avoiding figure skating or whatever theory they come up with. On the other hand, it can be beneficial for her as she'll be able to grow more as a performer which will definitely help her on the ice.
It's just dissapointing news. Adelina is going celebrity while her compatriots are blowing by her. I know she has an injury but she's been back skating for a ahile noe. I have said for weeks Ade will miss all real competition this season but she will be ready for exhos and silly shows like DWTS. At this point I can't see her ever getting back to her skating level in Sochi where she was just outstanding. Whether you think she deserved the gold or not and I do think she did, Adelina skated by far the best of her career and it was inspiring. Now she is likely transitioning to being a star and a celebrity. That's okay and she deserves every penny she gets and all the fame she gets. But don't ever expect to see the Sochi Adelina ever again. I hope we get that next season but I doubt it. You can't miss an entire season at her level and ever be the same again.

That said I hope she wins DWTS and loves ever second of it. If this makes her happy that is fine. I have just really missed her missing this season.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I, for one, sure would like to see her dancing :). I enjoyed Meryl, Charlie, and Evan's dancing enormously when they participated in their respective DWTS here in the US.

Could I rely on our Russian board members for the update and video :bow:?

Go Adelina :cheer:!

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
It's just dissapointing news. Adelina is going celebrity while her compatriots are blowing by her. I know she has an injury but she's been back skating for a ahile noe. I have said for weeks Ade will miss all real competition this season but she will be ready for exhos and silly shows like DWTS. At this point I can't see her ever getting back to her skating level in Sochi where she was just outstanding. Whether you think she deserved the gold or not and I do think she did, Adelina skated by far the best of her career and it was inspiring. Now she is likely transitioning to being a star and a celebrity. That's okay and she deserves every penny she gets and all the fame she gets. But don't ever expect to see the Sochi Adelina ever again. I hope we get that next season but I doubt it. You can't miss an entire season at her level and ever be the same again.

That said I hope she wins DWTS and loves ever second of it. If this makes her happy that is fine. I have just really missed her missing this season.

I get why you're worried but the point of the matter is there is nothing she can do this season. There's only one competition left and she's not ready. It makes no logical sense for her to be killing herself getting ready for next season in February. If this was a show that was taking place in June or July, I'd seriously question her intentions to compete next season...but it's early in the year. She has months and months and months to prepare for next season. We all know she's been paying attention to what's going on this season. She's attended several competitions this year (Cup of Russia, nationals, Euros) so she knows what level the competition is at and she knows what she'll need to do to compete. But, like I said, there's nothing she can do right now with skating other than keep herself in shape...and dancing is an excellent way to get into/stay in shape. I think it's a great opportunity for her to do something completely separate from skating and make a name for herself doing something else. :thumbsup:

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Geez you need to chill. Several forms of dance are performed with a level of physical intimacy and most require strong chemistry between partners. Obviously age gaps can be a problem.
Zendaya was 16 at the time of her competition, and her partner was 10 years older. There was nothing inappropriate in any of their performances, even in the more "intimate" dances like Argentine Tango. But of course Zendaya has presence beyond her years.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Of all the things I could pick on Sotnikova for, this ain't gonna be one of 'em.

I don't blame her at all for taking advantage of her local celeb status - after all, isn't that what D&W did in the US? She can milk that OGM for all it's worth now and perhaps even make a decent living off of it. Russian skating seems to be doing just fine without her anyways.

Plus, wasn't she injured? Sounds like she wouldn't have been able to skate this season even if she wanted to, so why begrudge her for doing these shows?

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
I get why you're worried but the point of the matter is there is nothing she can do this season. There's only one competition left and she's not ready. It makes no logical sense for her to be killing herself getting ready for next season in February. If this was a show that was taking place in June or July, I'd seriously question her intentions to compete next season...but it's early in the year. She has months and months and months to prepare for next season. We all know she's been paying attention to what's going on this season. She's attended several competitions this year (Cup of Russia, nationals, Euros) so she knows what level the competition is at and she knows what she'll need to do to compete. But, like I said, there's nothing she can do right now with skating other than keep herself in shape...and dancing is an excellent way to get into/stay in shape. I think it's a great opportunity for her to do something completely separate from skating and make a name for herself doing something else. :thumbsup:

:clap:

Mafke

Medalist
I'm not a fan, but there's no reason to begrudge her this. It could improve her presentation and could earn her some cash, neither of which is anything to sneer at.

As for her skating, this season is over for her, let's see what happens next season.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Good points. That's probably her thinking too. I just wanted to see her back up her career best skating in Sochi this year and it didn't happen. She will be 19 next season and has been in how many worlds? 1?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not a fan, but there's no reason to begrudge her this. It could improve her presentation and could earn her some cash, neither of which is anything to sneer at.

As for her skating, this season is over for her, let's see what happens next season.

Thank you for bringing this out. There has been so much spite directed at her, and there is really no reason.

I had never been much of a fan, but I think that she has handled herself with restraint and grace following the upheaval of the Olympic Games. I swear that it seems that some people think she owes the world an apology for winning the gold medal. Or else they think she must conduct her career according to their mandates rather than how she'd like to proceed with skating... or even IF she'd like to proceed with skating.

The nastier that people are, the happier I am that she is the Olympic Champion.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
A new Russian commerical for the show with Adelina in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IUXZZSfqpM

She's at about the halfway mark and looks ready to kill for that trophy :dance:

Damn homegirl looks good! I hope she wins, her flexibility will be an asset.

and she's got lots of time before the next season and it would be unfair for her to come back this season and take a spot away from the other girls who earned it. Might as well do something productive while she's out, I read somewhere that she's the main breadwinner for her family, also she pays for her sister's treatments and stuff so she should milk all of the opportunities she can get. I heard that DWTS pays well if you go far so I'm sure while she can't win any prize money she can earn some here and learn some new stuff while she's at it.

Barb

Record Breaker
A new Russian commerical for the show with Adelina in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IUXZZSfqpM

She's at about the halfway mark and looks ready to kill for that trophy :dance:

I love the commercial. And my only problem with this decision is I really like her and I would love to watch her to compete again, if she does well in the dancing with the stars competition she will be offered news opportunities and I think is very probably she retires :scowl:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I'm a fan of hers! :cheer:

I'm, too. :rock: But Mustafina is the best in Russian history??? No. Maybe Olga Korbut...She was a genius, an innovator or Svetlana Khorkina, Larissa Latynina,Svetlana Boginskaya..

turgon97

On the Ice
I don't want to be negative, but usually Dancing With Stars means living on past accomplishments, rather than building new ones.
It's fine with me, Russia has enough depth that Adelina won't be really missed. I think it's a natural way of things after winning Olympic gold....

Maybe she just wants something to occupy herself with during her "downtime" and perhaps milk her image for what it's worth.
Meryl Davis and Shawn Johnson took advantage of that soon after their olympic wins and the resulting publicity brought them many career opportunities, so I dont think doing DWTS is just about relishing on past accomplishments with no thoughts of any future endeavors.

I mean look at Shawn, she wasnt the darling of the Beijing games but her image is more widespread than Nastia thanks to her choice to do something more mainstream and reach out to fans that arent necessarily following gymnastics (or those that follow it once every 4 years).

Last edited:

anyanka

Record Breaker
Isn't she also a university student at the moment? I suppose she can study in her off-hours. But then again, she's set for life and will always be a major celebrity in Russia, so she may not need that degree ...

turgon97

On the Ice
:rofl: Seriously, if Adelina Sotnikova were really a person of her own word, we will see her compete next season since she has a great ambition to become a prestigious World, Grand Prix Final and Euro champion, or even a Grand Prix winner that she unfortunately couldn't accomplish with her ability yet. Besides Sotnikova said she doesn't want to retire early like Tara Lipinski ;), so time will tell. At least it is good for her fans in Russia that they can see their favorite athletic in a TV show. She needs to make a living since she hasn't earned any prize money after the Sochi Olympics like the current top and hardworking Russian skaters except her sole participation in a minor domestic event mostly comprised of juniors. Perhaps, we couldn't ever see her compete again, but that is her life after all. :popcorn:

I dont think most elite skaters rely on prize money for their endeavors. Unlike many sports, like tennis, figure skating doesnt really provide a proportionally substantial income even for the most elite of elite skaters. Most get their moolah from advertisements and shows.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I dont think most elite skaters rely on prize money for their endeavors. Unlike many sports, like tennis, figure skating doesnt really provide a proportionally substantial income even for the most elite of elite skaters. Most get their moolah from advertisements and shows.

She's certainly going to get endorsements galore. That will not stop for her anytime soon. DWTS is actually a good move to keep her name in the public eye and fortify herself as a brand name, since she hasn't competed since Sochi. Popularity and wins will lead to more endorsements. Let's remember she comes from modest means: her parents are working class and her sister has Treacher-Collins Syndrome which requires a lot of medical attention and treatment, so it makes sense for her to appear in ice shows overseas and in Russia and get as many endorsements as possible to support her family.

turgon97

On the Ice
She's certainly going to get endorsements galore. That will not stop for her anytime soon. DWTS is actually a good move to keep her name in the public eye and fortify herself as a brand name, since she hasn't competed since Sochi. Popularity and wins will lead to more endorsements. Let's remember she comes from modest means: her parents are working class and her sister has Treacher-Collins Syndrome which requires a lot of medical attention and treatment, so it makes sense for her to appear in ice shows overseas and in Russia and get as many endorsements as possible to support her family.

I agree and Im supportive of her choice to do this. If I was her, Id do the same thing. It's hard to earn a living wage as a figure skater. Unlike other sports where it's possible to break even and live well as a top 100 journeyman, the financial gains from prize money as top 10 figure skater is scant in comparison.