Balancing a Schedule | Golden Skate

Balancing a Schedule

mnm464

On the Ice
As a competitive figure skater now or previous, maybe even a loyal mother or spectator, most of us know the struggle of a figure skater. You've got the skating practice, the off-ice conditioning, dance or ballet, yoga, etc. Not to mention the extremely important school! As a student, I find it increasingly difficult to manage the aspects of figure skating including 3-4 hours(no joke), ballet and conditioning 2 times a week, plus high school. I have managed to barely scrape by, but I need to find a better way to do this due to lack of sleep-->resulted in over use injury Does anyone know how many of the figure skating greats got past this difficult time with training? What do you think?

Perhaps total homeschooling is an option, but from what I have heard, that could potentially limit my university options. Going to school full time is also very hard; I would have to skate at the crowded sessions with let's say slightly less aware, younger skaters. Possible, yet hard to obtain, hybrid schooling- taking 1 to 3 online classes(elective and history/"easier" class)[I am using this option now, but wish to expand skating time]

Side notes: I talked with Nikita[Katsalapov] and he said, "It was hard. I would run to/from school." I am not sure if meant this in the literal terms, as English is his second language, but I got the point.

Gao is another great skater who accomplished a fair amount academically and competitively by taking online AP classes(from what I heard).

I also heard from my friend's mom that Kim Yu Na would skate in the morning, go to school for a couple hours, come back and skate at mid day, and finish school, and skate again. I would believe this, but documentaries say otherwise-S. Korean ice rinks had limited ice, usually at night.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jason Brown went to regular high school. Per this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckQ3s1dhtvg, he practiced in the morning then went to school from 8-noon then came back and did another practice.

I believe Gracie Gold did online high school when she was in the Chicago area.

MalAssada

Medalist
What time does your school start and finish? My first thought would be Mrs. P's: Practice before and after, homework on your way to and from the rink. Hybrid schooling was mentioned in ChalkBucket, a gymnastics forum: The gymnast went to school in the morning and was homeschooled in afternoons, giving her more time to go to the gym.

You said you are currently doing this, yet wants more time. I am not familiar with the American schedule, but do you have any free periods at school that you could switch with afternoon lessons, making you leave earlier or start later?

Also, I just remembered this that a German friend mentioned: In her school, winter athletes could replace classes in the summer. Maybe your school, or others in the area, could provide you the same?

I'm not much help, sorry. All the best to you!

loopy

Final Flight
My skater moved all her sessions to before school. Six days a week there are up to 3 hours of freestyles before school. It gave her her life back, afternoons are spent doing homework, reading, stretching, chatting with friends, playing an instrument. I think for you though it is a whole different experience because she is just not funded enough to do more towards skating so her skating future is limited to probably not ever making it to sectionals.

We knew a national skater at our rink and she did it by making her only focus academics, skating, and volunteer work. She said she didn't sleep much in high school - 4-5? hours a night. But she wanted it all - school and skating so it was her only focus. It paid off for her too! Actually the academics paid off for top schools (free), skating got her into the best schools (with tuition reduction).

There comes a point when it has to be your decision. "Managed to barely scrape by" - if your GPA is suffering, keep in mind that skating can open locked doors (if you are a top skater) but you need to qualify to open those doors (GPA, community service).

It's a difficult place to be.

I heard about this book recently http://www.debbiereber.com/project/doable/ here is a synopsis: In Doable: The Girls’ Guide to Accomplishing Just About Anything, teen empowerment author, expert, and life coach Debbie Reber offers a simple, accessible approach to tackling any goal—big, small, mundane, or world-changing—by addressing these obstacles and offering a step-by-step method girls can easily adapt to whatever it is they’re looking to do.
My daughter takes her writing class and enjoys it.

Last edited:

mnm464

On the Ice
What time does your school start and finish? My first thought would be Mrs. P's: Practice before and after, homework on your way to and from the rink. Hybrid schooling was mentioned in ChalkBucket, a gymnastics forum: The gymnast went to school in the morning and was homeschooled in afternoons, giving her more time to go to the gym.

You said you are currently doing this, yet wants more time. I am not familiar with the American schedule, but do you have any free periods at school that you could switch with afternoon lessons, making you leave earlier or start later?

Also, I just remembered this that a German friend mentioned: In her school, winter athletes could replace classes in the summer. Maybe your school, or others in the area, could provide you the same?

I'm not much help, sorry. All the best to you!

School starts at 7:10. I have been skating 1 hour in the AM, then 2 in the PM(getting out of school at 1:10 ish, rink @ 1:30 skating at 2:00) Any stuff extra for skating an the evening. So, I am already doing the suggestion in bold. You're plenty helpful, I will see about the winter-summer thing, but in MI,USA there is a law that requires students to be "at school" 6h a day unless medical purpose i.e. say I have some form of drastic cancer that I have to be hospitalized or something like that. Where I used to live didn't haze this law, so I think this is a load of fluff aha.

mnm464

On the Ice
My skater moved all her sessions to before school. Six days a week there are up to 3 hours of freestyles before school. It gave her her life back, afternoons are spent doing homework, reading, stretching, chatting with friends, playing an instrument. I think for you though it is a whole different experience because she is just not funded enough to do more towards skating so her skating future is limited to probably not ever making it to sectionals.

We knew a national skater at our rink and she did it by making her only focus academics, skating, and volunteer work. She said she didn't sleep much in high school - 4-5? hours a night. But she wanted it all - school and skating so it was her only focus. It paid off for her too! Actually the academics paid off for top schools (free), skating got her into the best schools (with tuition reduction).

There comes a point when it has to be your decision. "Managed to barely scrape by" - if your GPA is suffering, keep in mind that skating can open locked doors (if you are a top skater) but you need to qualify to open those doors (GPA, community service).

It's a difficult place to be.

I heard about this book recently http://www.debbiereber.com/project/doable/ here is a synopsis: In Doable: The Girls’ Guide to Accomplishing Just About Anything, teen empowerment author, expert, and life coach Debbie Reber offers a simple, accessible approach to tackling any goal—big, small, mundane, or world-changing—by addressing these obstacles and offering a step-by-step method girls can easily adapt to whatever it is they’re looking to do.
My daughter takes her writing class and enjoys it.

Interesting...I have tried the no sleep thing and that did not end well. Right now, I am working on triples as a junior and I can't afford to have less than 7 hours of sleep consistently. Definitely will take the book suggestion and read it-once I have a second to do something for myself ahaha! Thank you for the details!!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Since you're at Canton, have thought about asking Maia or Alex what they did? I believe both graduated from high school in Michigan, IIRC. Definitely Maia for sure.

mnm464

On the Ice
Since you're at Canton, have thought about asking Maia or Alex what they did? I believe both graduated from high school in Michigan, IIRC. Definitely Maia for sure.

Alright, I will! Honestly, I am not sure if I did or not, so that would be a bit awkward if I asked already, but hey the whole rink already knows I'm a bit ridiculous(understatement:laugh:)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Alright, I will! Honestly, I am not sure if I did or not, so that would be a bit awkward if I asked already, but hey the whole rink already knows I'm a bit ridiculous(understatement:laugh:)

Better to ask again than not to know. :)

One reason, I know about Maia is this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6NrB23vPx8

One of the comments (posted 7 years ago) is this: "Maia's locker is right next to mine at school. She's really sweet!" :laugh:

Maia was also named to the 2011 USFSA Honors team, which recognizes high academic achievement:http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=45604

Maia Shibutani is a junior at Huron High School in Ann Arbor, Mich., where she is a straight-A honors student and has served as a Student Council representative. She has collected donations to support both the Ronald McDonald House of Ann Arbor and Ele's Place, a healing center for grieving children. Maia, who represents the Skating Club of New York, won the gold medal in the junior ice dancing at the 2010 AT&T U.S. Figure Skating Championships. She and her partner (and brother), Alex, placed fourth at the 2010 World Junior Figure Skating Championships and won the bronze medal at the 2009 ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final. Maia has performed in "An Evening with Champions," a benefit show for The Jimmy Fund at Harvard University to support the fight against cancer, and serves on the U.S. Figure Skating Dance Committee. This season in their senior debut, Maia and Alex won bronze medals at both the NHK Trophy and Skate America.

And in this interview, Maia talks about her schedule (http://www.usfigureskating.org/Magazine.asp?id=57&issue=43596):

During the school year, my average day is busy and long since I take a full academic load in high school and train at least 25 hours a week. I wake up at 4:15 a.m., and I'm at the rink by 5:15. Alex and I are on the ice by 5:45. We train with some breaks until about 10:30 a.m. Immediately after that, I head to school. I usually end up either finishing my homework or eating my lunch in the car. Once at school, I take three academic classes, and have a fourth period to meet with friends about a service club that I co-founded and organize. After school at around 3 p.m., I usually do an off-ice workout. I also take two other academic courses online, which I try to make a point of doing every day. Finally it's dinner, and hopefully bedtime by 9 p.m.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow time must really fly for those that knew them!!! I will definitely ask! Thank you and amazingly helpful as always, Mrs. P.!

No problem. It's just power googling at work. :laugh:

Hope you caught my additional comments above....

Littlerain

Rinkside
Good luck to you in figuring all of this out! I know here in the Chicago area growing up, many people were able to get out of gym class because they were skating. Not sure if you've done that already, but that may give you some extra time. Also not sure how that would play into that law in Michigan :)

I think another thing to consider is if you have any opportunity to manage your time more effectively. Can you get a head start on homework over the weekend? (Reading, or chunks of longer projects? Or even pick some up in between sessions? (Like while eating, or when the zamboni is out?) not sure if you've tried this type of thing or even if your parents have any suggestions for better time management? (As much as we hate listening to parents :p sometimes they see their children's opportunities very clearly)

(Not saying you need to manage your time better, or that you're doing it poorly now. I'm sure you're doing great! but I think nearly everyonr always has at least a little room for improvement when it comes to time management. Except Maia apparently lol)

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
(Not saying you need to manage your time better, or that you're doing it poorly now. I'm sure you're doing great! but I think nearly everyonr always has at least a little room for improvement when it comes to time management. Except Maia apparently lol)

I could always use improvement in time management and I'm not even a skater. :laugh:

desertskates

Medalist
I just really would not encourage anyone to just sacrifice the sleep. Lack of sleep can really screw a person up. I had had such a packed schedule when I was in my twenties that I just slept very little and I hit a wall. A doctor helped me get it all back on track, but trust me when I say it's so much easier to sacrifice something else. I'll take off my "been there, done that" hat now :)

Last edited:

mnm464

On the Ice
I just really would not encourage anyone to just sacrifice the sleep. Lack of sleep can really screw a person up. I had had such a packed schedule when I was in my twenties that I just slept very little and I hit a wall. A doctor helped me get it all back on track, but trust me when I say it's so much easier to sacrifice something else. I'll take off my "been there, done that" hat now :)

Good luck to you in figuring all of this out! I know here in the Chicago area growing up, many people were able to get out of gym class because they were skating. Not sure if you've done that already, but that may give you some extra time. Also not sure how that would play into that law in Michigan :)

I think another thing to consider is if you have any opportunity to manage your time more effectively. Can you get a head start on homework over the weekend? (Reading, or chunks of longer projects? Or even pick some up in between sessions? (Like while eating, or when the zamboni is out?) not sure if you've tried this type of thing or even if your parents have any suggestions for better time management? (As much as we hate listening to parents :p sometimes they see their children's opportunities very clearly)

Yes, I get what you mean. Between Zam breaks is only 10 minutes, so there isn't a whole lot of time, but I try. I have cut down my stretching(reluctantly) to finish hw after my skating before I get picked up. I eat in the car most of the time. The schedule I have now is some sort of IB program, so this excludes health and PE, but I think on a normal schedule, I would still have to take PE. I will check though. All my teachers have this wonderful habit of telling you what's going on the upcoming week, but only enough detail to let you in the mix, but not get ahead. So, that makes the start ahead thing a bit difficult...I personally don't care for the school district, but we may move soon to another city, so maybe we can move to the AA district or somewhere more flexi with scheduling:yes:

alaskanmom

Rinkside
If you did some research into homeschoolers, you would find they dont have an issue getting into school. In fact some schools including Stanford encourage and welcome home schoolers. My kids do transcripted classes and have grades just like you do. They also offer AP classes.
Its possible :shocked:

loopy

Final Flight
I wasn't suggesting less sleep - just that you can't have it all (by appearances our skating friend had it all - perfect grades, prefect skating - but she didn't have a life outside of school or even sleep). You have to make priorities. For example - if you take AP classes - do you take all you can get or take ones you are passionate about? If you want to be a chemical engineer, maybe you just want the AP Chem Class and AP Calculus class but you don't want to take the test because even with a 5, it won't waive your freshman math/science requirements. Or maybe you want to go into marketing so you want the AP classes so you complete your undergrad requirements with a 4 or 5. Or maybe you want to keep skating and want to go to junior college for 2 years. If you have concrete goals you may find you can make them happen with less stress.

mnm464

On the Ice
If you did some research into homeschoolers, you would find they dont have an issue getting into school. In fact some schools including Stanford encourage and welcome home schoolers. My kids do transcripted classes and have grades just like you do. They also offer AP classes.
Its possible :shocked:

I don't think homeschool is the right choice for me since I am a very social person overall. I need to be around people. Thank you though, for the information!

I wasn't suggesting less sleep - just that you can't have it all (by appearances our skating friend had it all - perfect grades, prefect skating - but she didn't have a life outside of school or even sleep). You have to make priorities. For example - if you take AP classes - do you take all you can get or take ones you are passionate about? If you want to be a chemical engineer, maybe you just want the AP Chem Class and AP Calculus class but you don't want to take the test because even with a 5, it won't waive your freshman math/science requirements. Or maybe you want to go into marketing so you want the AP classes so you complete your undergrad requirements with a 4 or 5. Or maybe you want to keep skating and want to go to junior college for 2 years. If you have concrete goals you may find you can make them happen with less stress.

Ah, I see, so maybe prioritize to what I wish to go to college for, if I am correct?

loopy

Final Flight
Exactly - that and skating and everything else you want. Once you have exact ideas, then determine how to accomplish them. Find out what holds you back, what are your barriers, and how you can overcome them. You might start with school - talk to a college counselor and your high school counselor and find out what you need to meet your schooling goals. Or you might start with skating - talk to your parents and coaches to determine what their skating goals are for you and compare them with your personal skating goals. Make sure they line up. If your goal this year is to make it to nationals this season and they have the same vision, maybe that is where you put your primary focus. So then you meet with school and see how they can move classes (are any offered online for example or will they let you do independent study for a class where you come to class for exams but study from the textbook on your own). If you find it's all or nothing from your school, find out what your options are where you are still college ready but they have a different way of schooling (for example we have an independent study school - no classes are honors or AP but you take one or two classes at a time and work from home). Some classes take 4 weeks, some 8 if you procrastinate 12.

What you are seeing though, is right now you are at a loss for time to give either school or skating 100% and you are pulled in a lot of directions. By making yourself in control of how you spend your time, I think you will feel better about both school and skating.