Balancing a Schedule | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Balancing a Schedule

concorde

Medalist
Are you sure the State requirement is "in school" or "classroom time"? In Fairfax County, VA, high schoolers can take some classes in person and some online so that is an option that a lot of skaters here use. Actually the County is pushing that program since it is cheaper for the taxpayer.

I am hoping that as my daughter gets old, we can use this program. Right now she skates 3 days before school and 5 days after school. That schedule does not give a lot of "free" time.

Skategmt

On the Ice
Before I put my twi cents in, I'd like to know, what level skater are you? The advice of give to a, let's say, a senior skater, would be different than my advice to a intermediate skater.

mnm464

On the Ice
Before I put my twi cents in, I'd like to know, what level skater are you? The advice of give to a, let's say, a senior skater, would be different than my advice to a intermediate skater.

I am junior, minimum 3 hours

Skategmt

On the Ice
Is there anyway you could get the majority of your skating done in the morning? If you went to bed a lot earlier, (therefore getting up earlier in the morning) your day would "start" earlier. So of you start skating usually at, let's say 7 am, maybe you could start around 5:30 so you wouldn't have to skate later in the day. You could get your school work/studying/rest in the evening. I think the earlier advice about "partial homeschooling " would be a good idea for you. I would talk to your guidance counselors and see what they recommend. Also, I'd see what your parents think about your options.

alaskanmom

Rinkside
I don't think homeschool is the right choice for me since I am a very social person overall. I need to be around people. Thank you though, for the information!

Ah, I see, so maybe prioritize to what I wish to go to college for, if I am correct?

I would assume you are around people at the rink? At ballet class or crossfit or whatever other classes you do?. Both my kids are highly social and do fine hs. Its a poor perception that home schoolers arent social and perhaps that is true for some just like some kids that attend school arent social. In fact I have to curtail my 15 year old from being social! I am not trying to push you into homeschooling but its not like they sit at home all day.My daughter just went to winter ball with a public school hockey boy so you really dont miss much!
Hope you work it out