2015 Four Continents Men's Short Program Feb 12 Seoul Time | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Men's Short Program Feb 12 Seoul Time

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Why not try out a difficult jump at 4CC? But it seemed as if team Jason had a concrete plan, seems weird to suddenly veer away from it. Maybe they are realizing they can't really go to worlds without a quad?
But then again putting it in the SP is super risky. Very strange.

Adam has attempted 2 quads and stayed on his feet albeit they were not perfect. Still, they will only get stronger if he tries 2 more at 4CC. By worlds he will be much more comfortable with them and may be able to land them in competition as well as he does in practice.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Or maybe it's a typo. :laugh:

Who knows -- maybe it came along a lot faster than planned. IIRC, with the 3A, it was basically ready, at least in Jason's team's eyes, about 3-4 days before he left for JGPF.

Phil is pretty good at getting confirmation one way or another. It's about 8 a.m. in Seoul. There will be an answer soon, I'd imagine.

Bonesfan

On the Ice
6AM in Seoul, 17 hours ahead of US West coast.

Or maybe it's a typo. :laugh:

Who knows -- maybe it came along a lot faster than planned. IIRC, with the 3A, it was basically ready, at least in Jason's team's eyes, about 3-4 days before he left for JGPF.

Phil is pretty good at getting confirmation one way or another. It's about 8 a.m. in Seoul. There will be an answer soon, I'd imagine.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If Jason were to get a downgrade on the quad (to a 3T) would he still get credit for the 3F-3T combo? I don't know rules for SP.

Are we still having this conversation, argh?!

A DOWNGRADED jump would be 4T<< = NOT THE SAME AS A 3T.

If he POPPED the jumped into a 3T then yes, he would be in major trouble, so I hope the team has a contingency plan for that.

Wait, Josh is only planning one quad between two programs? (Not that I mind, but I thought he said he'd go for both after Nationals... please don't tell me he's still injured. :hopelessness:)

I doubt that. Maybe they're seeing how practice goes first. After all, the SP at Nationals worked beautifully without, didn't it? He'd have won that section without that pesky little turnout. Now he's not going to get a Nationals score here, but Jason's PB is 86, so maybe they think Josh could get mid-eighties with the SP as it is, building a solid launch pad for that masterpiece of an FS.

But some have 3T-3T combos. That's 2 3T's. So how is doing a 3F-3T still Zayaking? Btw, how do you even pronounce "zayak" anyways. I have a feeling I've been pronouncing it wrong.

You are allowed to do 3T-3T because the rules allow the jump done in combo to be repeated in the combo ONLY. You cannot repeat the jump that was used as the solo jump in the combo jump. Otherwise I'm sure we'd see 3Lz and then 3Lz-3T all the time.

When it used to be that the required Axel jump was a 2A for men, we used to see layouts like 3Lz, 3A-3T, 2A. A bit silly, no?

It will be interesting to see who really can lay down the quad when it counts and not just the talk. For some reason I think Jason is rushing it because the plan was to debut it next season.

And there is precedent for his team bowing to pressure, too.

Yes, but they had been including it at JGP Turkey that season, when it was very obviously NOT ready. And with that coming so hard on the heels of Josh landing a 4T and basically slaying everyone at Lake Placid, it felt very much like bowing to pressure.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
6AM in Seoul, 17 hours ahead of US West coast.

Obviously can't count, lol. Anyway, I hope we'll know for sure in a few hours.

As for doing at JGP Turkey and it not being ready -- it really wasn't the end of the world, especially at that particular competition.

And in hindsight, it definitely didn't matter.

Last edited:

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Well. I wasn't going to watch the Men's SP live (it starts at 12:15 my time and I have to work the next day) but now I think I'll stay up and take some naps earlier to make it work. I just can't resist the potential drama - especially Jason attempting his first quad (maybe).

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well. I wasn't going to watch the Men's SP live (it starts at 12:15 my time and I have to work the next day) but now I think I'll stay up and take some naps earlier to make it work. I just can't resist the potential drama - especially Jason attempting his first quad (maybe).

I won't be able to watch it cause it'll be 3 am and I have to get at least 6 hours of sleep for school....cause I have to get up at 5:45 am on Tuesdays and Thursdays for school. Unless if I go to bed at 9:00 pm...which ain't happening. Plus I have a chemistry test Thursday (22% of my grade so I better do a darn good job on it) and I need a good 6 hours of sleep at least. :p. So I'm sad I can't watch it on livestream.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Obviously can't count, lol. Anyway, I hope we'll know for sure in a few hours.

As for doing at JGP Turkey and it not being ready -- it really wasn't the end of the world, especially at that particular competition.

And in hindsight, it definitely didn't matter.

I'm confused on the time. Is it next week yet in Korea? Is the competition over? Who won?

Just kidding of course! I'm pretty decent with time zones except when the International Date Line comes into play, and then I'm never sure what month it is.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Are we still having this conversation, argh?!

A DOWNGRADED jump would be 4T<< = NOT THE SAME AS A 3T.

If he POPPED the jumped into a 3T then yes, he would be in major trouble, so I hope the team has a contingency plan.

You know, Karne, you may have an expert knowledge of the rules related to downgrades, popped and repeated jumps, etc., but as I indicated in my post, I do not. Perhaps you're not aware of it, but the tone of your post is not very nice.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You know, Karne, you may have an expert knowledge of the rules related to downgrades, popped and repeated jumps, etc., but as I indicated in my post, I do not. Perhaps you're not aware of it, but the tone of your post is not very nice.

I agree. I have been a fan of skating for barely over a year. And although I have learned a lot and educated myself a lot, I still don't know everything. Like I know WHAT the differences are between the 6 types of jumps, BUT trying to distinguish them by watching it, it's kinda hard and close to impossible. Plus I don't know where exactly the rotation starts. Plus sometimes I'm confused why a jump is zayaked when even it was only the 2nd time in the program that particular jump was used. Like a 3T.

kresslia

Medalist
I won't be able to watch it cause it'll be 3 am and I have to get at least 6 hours of sleep for school....cause I have to get up at 5:45 am on Tuesdays and Thursdays for school. Unless if I go to bed at 9:00 pm...which ain't happening. Plus I have a chemistry test Thursday (22% of my grade so I better do a darn good job on it) and I need a good 6 hours of sleep at least. :p. So I'm sad I can't watch it on livestream.
I have a test worth about that much too. Accounting though.

It's gonna be awful not being able to experience the drama here.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a test worth about that much too. Accounting though.

It's gonna be awful not being able to experience the drama here.

Yeah. Especially that I won't be able to watch live if Jason landed his quad or not. Though...hmmmmm maybe I might catch live results though while in the car on the way to school (I don't have my license so I know I can safely do it lol) depending on how long it'll last for.

kresslia

Medalist
Anyone know the best course of action here for watching the skates without being spoiled since I can't watch live?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Sorry. It's just that that conversation was done to death during US Nationals (with regards to Adam's 4Lz<< and 3Lz not being the same thing), so I thought everyone had it straight.

Anyway, no, a 4T<< doesn't count as a 3T for Zayak purposes. The system treats them as though they are completely different elements - which, I guess, they are. :)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Sorry. It's just that that conversation was done to death during US Nationals (with regards to Adam's 4Lz<< and 3Lz not being the same thing), so I thought everyone had it straight.

Anyway, no, a 4T<< doesn't count as a 3T for Zayak purposes. The system treats them as though they are completely different elements - which, I guess, they are. :)

Thanks, Karne, I guess I missed out on it and thx for additional info. In any case I am extremely curious as to the state of his quad and their strategy. From what little ive heard it sounds like it's not really competition ready. Hmm.