Fan interest in synchro? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Fan interest in synchro?

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

swurvestar

Rinkside
I'm just going to include a video of an American team, that I suppose, from the comments and screaming in the audience, is supposed to be a very very good team. This is their wheel element.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laSOj5s8puA&t=2m22s

And here is their step sequence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laSOj5s8puA&t=3m51s

Yes, this is the top team in the US, but they aren't at the top of the sport by any means (I know I'm probably going against the US. synchro community with these thoughts and they'll probably hate me for it, but I'm just stating my opinion). Just recently, they didn't even place in an international competition. The reason the crowd was so loud was because the competition was on home ice and it was Worlds. Also, with synchro, there's automatic groups of fans that will cheer no matter what because most Senior teams have at least 4 or 5 (sometimes 10 or 11) younger teams representing the same club who all aspire to be on that Senior team. At many of these clubs with multiple level teams, they pair skaters on their top teams with younger and beginner level teams to mentor them throughout the season, so they get really attached to each other. Synchro is definitely the definition of a team sport in many ways.

I agree that elements need to change in how they are done so they don't look so sloppy. There are bunch of elements I would change and I, for one, would love it if synchro could go back to making more creative shapes in programs and really do up the theme but still include the difficult footwork aspect that has been added in recent years. They need to focus on what looks good along with increasing the difficulty. For example, if a team of 16 could preform the twizzle sequences of the top dancers in perfect unison while keeping formation, it would be great - I know they try, but I've yet to see it done absolutely perfect. I really don't like the trend of doing a dance while almost standing still all together on ice in the middle of the program. I don't think that should be included at all, it's fine for off-ice warm up, but it really takes away from the athletic appeal of a program.

Ok, I'm going to stop now, I'm not explaining myself in the way I wish to and have so many more ideas of how the sport could improve, but not sure of the logistics to make it happen. Also, apologies for the multiple run on sentences.
ETA: I also feel as though perhaps I'm being a bit harsh and I don't want to take away from the push to get the sport in the Olympics. Also, admittedly, I have not been directly involved in the sport for many years and only competed during the first few years of IJS. I have very limited knowledge of how IJS fits into the sport in present day. I just consider myself a quit spectator at this point.

Last edited:

cl2

Final Flight
I agree that elements need to change in how they are done so they don't look so sloppy. There are bunch of elements I would change and I, for one, would love it if synchro could go back to making more creative shapes in programs and really do up the theme but still include the difficult footwork aspect that has been added in recent years. They need to focus on what looks good along with increasing the difficulty. For example, if a team of 16 could preform the twizzle sequences of the top dancers in perfect unison while keeping formation, it would be great - I know they try, but I've yet to see it done absolutely perfect. I really don't like the trend of doing a dance while almost standing still all together on ice in the middle of the program. I don't think that should be included at all, it's fine for off-ice warm up, but it really takes away from the athletic appeal of a program.

ETA: I also feel as though perhaps I'm being a bit harsh and I don't want to take away from the push to get the sport in the Olympics. Also, admittedly, I have not been directly involved in the sport for many years and only competed during the first few years of IJS. I have very limited knowledge of how IJS fits into the sport in present day. I just consider myself a quit spectator at this point.

I agree with many points you raised about the quality of elements executed. I, like you, had done competed synchro in previously, so I have some idea of how difficult it is for 16 skaters to maintain the perfect formation whilst doing difficult footwork. As I see it, it seems that none but the very top teams in Worlds are able to execute perfect programs without bent lines, lack of unison and squished donuts (to use the words of a previous poster). For example, I've hardly ever seen a no-hold block footwork sequence (skaters not attached) maintain a discernible 4x4 block shape-- getting just slightly out of position makes it end up looking like a messy bunch of skaters doing a warmup routine. At the level of Worlds, or possibly Olympics in future, it would be frustrating and boring as a spectator to watch such poor formations and lack of unison, no matter how hard it is to achieve, especially when synchro sells itself on its synchronicity.

So yes, I agree that elements need to change, and also what needs to be refined are expectations of what's difficult and achievable.

I dislike watching no-hold block step sequences because it doesn't make sense to apply the same expectation of unison there. Realistically speaking, 16 skaters are never going to achieve the same level of unison as 2 ice dancers. Even some of the top ice dance pairs have difficulty with side-by-side twizzles, so let's see how 16 skaters handle side-by-side twizzles. On the other hand, closed block sequences (skaters attached arm-to-shoulder) are nice to watch because it really shows the power of 16 skaters skating rockers and brackets together. IMO, an average closed block sequence is still interesting to watch, but an average no-hold block is cringe-worthy.

Synchro should milk those elements that can only be done by 16 skaters and not 2. Like intersections, those that are clear visually like whip and angled intersections are quite exciting (not box intersections that tend to be messy). Like wheels and pivoting lines, lots of very fluid formations possible. Synchro should also push the envelop for the difficulty. Maybe include jump elements, or other creative formations. Be more stringent on GOEs. The Team USA 1 SP at 2013 Worlds with their "squished donuts" got 2-3 GOEs across the board.

I've only seen one synchro program so far which I think should be the standard in terms of clarity of lines and formation and synchronicity: Team Finland 1 LP at 2014 Worlds (they won the title that year)
http://youtu.be/uv9EhrVVg38
I really hope that as synchro progresses, the average team competing on the international stage can be at least as good as that, and that the title-winners are truly mind-blowing awesome.

Violetti

On the Ice
Pre-ISU transformation of ice dance, there was a joke about how bad female singles skaters should switch to ice dance. You could extend the joke from ice dance to synchronized skating.

Even though some girls may switch from figure skating to synchronized skating many of those you see in synchro teams may have chosen it at the age of seven or eight as girls in Finland can choose. So some really skate synchro from 7-8 years of age forward. It might be different in other countries though.

noidont

Final Flight
I don't know anything about it but it looks like ice cheerleading to me. Cheerleading as far as I know (I could be wrong) is not an Olympic sport. Even acrobatics isn't an Olympic sport. I think it will be good if synchro is included in World Games or something.

Précision

Rinkside
. Even acrobatics isn't an Olympic sport.

I think the compare to acrobatics would apply better to figure skating, and that surely is an Olympic sport.

About the fan interest about synchro. There's been quite a lot of talk about how figure skating needs more younger fans so that our beloved sport would stay alive and even grow. Well in synchro we already have much younger fan base. Including synchro to Olympics with other figure skating disciplines would also mean that the synchro fans might be the answer to get the young people involved to the other disciplines aswell.

loopy

Final Flight
I just think it would be an interesting experiment. My loyalty is to the Oakland Raiders. Merchandise is for the raiders. I go to see the Raiders. Players, coaches, they come and go, I might have favorites but I am a Raiders fan.

I think synchro has the opportunity for marketing that doesn't exist with in individual skater - if I love Michelle Kwan and she retires, then I feel like I am no longer interested in watching the sport or I continue to look for another Michelle Kwan and all are compared to her. My loyalty goes with the product and the product is no longer offered.

It's just so new and different.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
You certainly could be a Haydenettes fan, if you wanted to support a team that has been the US champion forever!

iskaterkay

Spectator
Hi, everyone! It's still being tweaked and not in final, publishable form yet but if you're interested in reading my piece about synchro, you can click here. The password: aberdeen.