Definitive POTOs in Each Discipline | Golden Skate

Definitive POTOs in Each Discipline

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Phantom of the Opera is most definitely on the "overused music in figure skating" list. If you weren't sick of it before, chances are that you're sick of it after this season. So, I thought it might be fun to restore some of our tolerance for this music (if that's even possible) by looking back at the POTOs that we have enjoyed, the ones that have enthralled us, the ones we don't mind watching multiple times, the ones where we've said, "Okay, no other skater in this discipline should touch this music ever again." I've been thinking in terms of competitive programs, but feel free to mention exhibitions if you'd like to.

So, my definitive POTOs are:

Men - Patrick Chan LP (2011 version)

Ladies - Akiko Suzuki LP

Dance - D&W FD

Pairs - I don't know. None of them have been lastingly memorable for me. Maybe someone else will post one that will change my mind.

Come to think of it, we could do this with any of the overused pieces (Carmen, any Swan, Firebird, Turandot, Les Mis, etc).:slink: Anyway, try to have fun!

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I hate them all, but I would take Yuzuru's POTO over Patrick's. With the volume turned way down.

And Alexei Urmanov's POTO ex was pretty fun.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
Davis and White FD in the olympic season was only one brilliant POTO program I've ever seen. Of course I don't know every single POTO program but this was the best for me.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I hate them all, but I would take Yuzuru's POTO over Patrick's. With the volume turned way down.

Agree with that. I like POTO music, but I found that I can't handle listening it so many times, so I hope new LP for Yuzuru next season :laugh2:

Krunchii

Record Breaker

And Alexei Urmanov's POTO ex was pretty fun.

Of all the versions to choose, Yuzuru just had to choose the Gerard Butler version, for shame

anyanka

Record Breaker
For pairs, may I recommend Pang / Tong in Torino? Also, can someone post the link to their 2006 worlds performance when they won gold?

For dance, it's Davis / White all the way, it was perfection. There is no way to improve upon it.

For men, it's Chan at 2011W.

For ladies, it's Suzuki, but she only did it perfectly once at the 2013 nationals.

This music should be retired now.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
For pairs, may I recommend Pang / Tong in Torino?
Pang/Tong LP Torino Olympics - Thank you for inspiring me to look it up. It's still nowhere near my favorite program of theirs, but this is the cleanest skate of it (AFAIK) and it's nice. When I remembered their POTO before, I remembered the other performances that had more glaring mistakes.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
It wasn't the Lloyd-Webber version, but to me, the definitive pairs POTO was Volosozhar/Morozov skating to POTO on ICE soundtrack.

robinhood

Rinkside
Daisuke was the best phantom of them all in any discipline! Even the cuts and the music was great in his program. 2007 worlds or his nationals performance was out of this world!

I enjoyed Drobiazko/Vanagas in 2006 Europeans, too. It was a very effective program, and I am glad they got a medal for it (despite the great D/S being ignored for their original Venice program:cry:)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The version of POTO that Chock and Zuerlein won Jr Worlds with was very good, too.

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
If music choices are about cashing in on current trends, I wonder how many 50 Shades of Grey programs we'll have next season!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
As soon as I saw the thread title, I can hear the phantom's devilish and dark voice by Michael Crawford in my head!

I'm really fed up with POTO this season, and POTOs at NHK trophy were way over the top.
Although I loved the music and Patrick Chan's POTO is by far the most engraved program on my mind, at least one season without POTO will be highly appreciated.

However, Mura's and Gracie's programs skating to POTOs will be presented at 4CC next week and I'm rooting for them to win the title. :rolleye:

Last edited:

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
I do remember one of the first programs Ina/Zimmerman did was POTO. The program was rough because it was their first year and they were just getting to know how to skate together. Would've wished to see it later when they had their act together circa '01 or '02. I love Meryl and Charlie and their POTO was good but I love their Notre Dame De Paris and Scheherezade(sp?) programs better.