Definitive POTOs in Each Discipline | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Definitive POTOs in Each Discipline

unico

Final Flight
I thought Takahashi's POTO was one of the worst LPs of his senior career, absolutely dreadful music cuts and uninspired choreography consisting of angsty faces, excessive face stroking, and terrible music changes during spins. It is only made palatable because it is Takahashi.

In a similar vein, Chan's POTO also suffers from crappy music cuts and boring choreography but this time of the high-kick variety. That being said, his final step sequence until the end of his LP at 2011 Nationals is perhaps the most carefree and joyous that I have ever seen him skate and the excitement and passion is so infectious that I can ignore how much I don't care for the rest of the program. It's like a movie that is mediocre until the climax and then it is just so good.

But my absolute favourite of any discipline is Akiko Suzuki's 2013 Nationals LP. Absolute magic, and so incredibly emotional.

Last edited:

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
I think skaters should have to watch a clip from "The Cutting Edge" where Kate and Doug fight over the music. The quote from Doug is appropriate. He says "Ten thousand other skaters are going to be cuing the same boring crap." While I don't find POTO, Carmen, Les Mis, etc. boring crap, I do think skaters are in a rut right now and recycling the same music. Ice Dancing has allowed lyrics for awhile now and the other disciplines have just opened up songs with lyrics. I want to see people push the envelope because there are literally thousands of music pieces that they can skate to. I was watching worlds for Ice Dancing the other day and was frustrated when I just watched Tessa and Scott skate to "Carmen" and the very next team to skate was Cappellini and Lanotte skating to guess what, "Carmen." It gave the judges an immediate comparison to one of the two best teams in the world against an up and coming team that wasn't there yet. Of course, Meryl and Charlie were in "Notre Dame de Paris" which was different than what the other teams were doing. This year the only comp I got to see other than Nationals was NHK from Japan. There were at least three POTOs in each discipline. Tara remarked that if she had to hear POTO again she would scream.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
My favorites? Watson & Oppegard, Brian Boitano, Dorothy Hamill. I guess the most memorable performances for each of us are the first ones we see? I never tire of great classics from opera or Broadway.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I got off work early so out of boredom i kinda summed it up so far:

1) Takahashi
2) Davis\White
3) Suzuki