ISU Challenger Series modifications for 2015/16 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

ISU Challenger Series modifications for 2015/16

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Part 6

When talking about the GP Series, I suggested that the number of slots should be increased so that those watching get to see more skaters. I also believe there should be a change to the number of slots in the other competitions. But, in a different way.

Much as it pains me to admit it, this past season I have found that some competitions have so many entrants that it becomes an endurance event just to watch them all.

So, for the Major Championships (Senior Worlds, Junior Worlds, Europeans, Four Continents) and the Senior B’s, I would propose having a limit on the number of entries. Below are a couple of options for how it could work.

Option 1

Short Programme: 32 starters (8 groups of 4 competitors, with a resurfacing after every 8 competitors).
Free Skate: 24 starters (6 groups of 4 competitors, with a resurfacing after every 8 competitors).

Option 2

Short Programme: 24 starters (6 groups of 4 competitors, with a resurfacing after every 8 competitors).
Free Skate: 16 starters (4 groups of 4 competitors, with a resurfacing after every 8 competitors).

These figures would be applied across all categories. Of course, where there are competitions that have more applications than slots, there would have to be some way of selecting who gets to compete.

Now, I don’t know what would be the best way of doing this. There are so many options:

• bringing back pre-qualifying;
  • higher minimum TES’s;
  • selecting based on Personal Bests;
  • selecting based on Season’s Bests…

But, I will say this. We need to find a way that will enable all the slots to be filled at competitions. We don’t want to see any more competitions where the bar is put so high that only a handful of competitors can actually reach the requirements to take part (and, yes, I am thinking primarily of Pairs Skating when I say that).

Now, I realise that a lot of the problems with implementing reform is the cost that it would entail.

Having more competitors would undoubtedly increase the cost of holding the Senior Grands Prix. However, this would be offset by the decrease in competitors taking part in the Junior Grands Prix (where there is currently no limit on competitors).

Same with limiting the entrants to the other competitions. Where some would lose participants, others would gain them. So, hopefully, the costs would all balance out.

But, most of my other proposals would not incur significant costs. Let’s face it, most of them are just changes on paper.

So, there are my thoughts. What do others think?

(Now you see why it has taken me 6 months to make this out!)

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited: