American Idol May 11/12
I'll just start out by saying that I really can't stand disco music. I think tonight's only redeeming factor was that there was no one singing ABBA. Here's my rankings based only on singing:
Fantasia: First song was amazing, second was very good.
Latoya: Another steady week with zero emotion.
Diana: Not bad but the judges must not be hearing the same thing I am. She misses a lot of notes.
Jasmine: Easily the worst of the night, although I want to see her stick around longer than Diana.
Predictions: Bottom 2 will be Jasmine and Latoya with Jasmine going.
In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
Overall an uneven night, IMO, due more to song choice than to actual vocals, which I thought were for the most part pretty darn good.
1. Fantasia -- I'm giving her bonus points for taking a song I absolutely HATE and making me actually like it; what she actually did was tone down the shrieking hyperactivity of the original and it worked very well.
2. LaToya -- She gets bonus points as well for digging up an old favorite of mine that I actually forgot all about. Fabulous job, tho a bit overenunciated. (Tho admittedly it might come across like that due to the fact that the original was done by the Bee Gees, who, about 75% of the time, you could never understand a word they were singing).
3. Diana -- She got 10 seconds into it and I was like, Wow, where did THIS come from? I've always liked her and her voice, but tonight, that extra "it" was finally there in spades. And she finally wore something that flattered her, as opposed to those hideous whatevers she's been slapping on lately.
4. Jasmine -- She was getting better every week, until tonight, when she regressed about 5 weeks. Scratchy, very uneven and the fact THAT I TOTALLY HATE THAT SONG did not help matters at all.
1. Diana -- WOW!!!! Until tonight, I honestly didn't think she had a chance to win this thing, but I could well be wrong. Absolutely fantastic, and well beyond what I would have expected out of a 16-year-old for this song.
2. Fantasia -- This is about the third time they announced she was going to sing something that I thought she'd bomb on, but she came through. She really can sing anything, IMO. However, just because you can sing anything doesn't mean you should try to do it with one of the most annoying songs ever recorded. Very bad choice.
3. LaToya -- I don't care WHAT the judges said, I thought this was her weakest performance ever. Uneven and just not very good. I couldn't believe Simon said it was as good as the original. Ummm, no. If the original was an Olympic Gold Medal, this was like 4th place at Skate America.
4. Jasmine -- I got the feeling that the minute she went out there, she knew she'd (again) picked a completely WRONG song for her to do. I actually felt emberassed for her. Poor girl, if she goes home tomorrow (and she better), it won't be her so much as the bad song choices. Eeeep!!
I was looking forward to tonight because I love disco. I kept thinking about what songs these girls would sing - and I was surprised by some of the choices.
Jasmine, "Everlasting Love" - Not a great choice for her, and the performance didn't help. Watching it again, I think she must be exhausted at this point in the competition. However, I still like her better than Diana.
LaToya, "Love You Inside Out" - A surprising choice, as I don't consider this a disco song, but it is a good BeeGees song from this era. I think she wanted something a little slower than the second song. A very good performance.
Fantasia, "Knock on Wood" - One of my favorites, and she didn't disappoint.
Diana, "This Is It" - Another surprising choice, a lesser-known song originally done by Melba Moore. (I actually have this on vinyl somewhere) I actually liked this performance a lot - and thought she was second only to Fantasia - even though I still don't like Diana.
Jasmine, "It's Raining Men" - Honestly, I don't think it was as bad as the judges said. Still, it wasn't a great performance - but better than the first song. I really felt bad for her. I was wondering what started the tears for her - Simon's comment (not good enough, you're only hope is if all of Hawaii has 5 lines to vote) or Paula's comment (I heard your power in rehearsal).
LaToya, "Don't Leave Me This Way" - Another one of my favorites. IMHO, the best performance of the night.
Fantasia, "Holding Out For a Hero" - WHY???? Another song I don't consider disco. She performed it well, but I started thinking of other songs she could have done.
Diana, "No More Tears (Enough is Enough)" - Points for picking a Donna Summer song. I had heard that one person was doing one of her songs, but before Ryan said the song, I really thought she was going to do 'Last Dance'. Honestly, I don't know what all the fuss was about. I thought this was just as bad as Jasmine's first performance.
I read somewhere that Diana has actually been one of the top vote getters the past few weeks, so I think that Fantasia and Jasmine will be the bottom 2, with Jasmine going.
Bona Fide Member
I was thinking the same thing. Her dress was pretty, a little bit flouncy and flirty, nice color on her, nice length to the skirt, it didn't cup her stomach, showed off her bosom -- great choice.
Originally posted by JonnyCoop
And [Diana] finally wore something that flattered her, as opposed to those hideous whatevers she's been slapping on lately.
I also agree with Herm that a lot of the songs weren't disco.
Last edited by Mathman; 05-12-2004 at 08:04 AM.
I only have one thought to add
holy backup singers!
Last edited by Kara Bear; 05-12-2004 at 09:51 AM.