American Idol May 11/12 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

American Idol May 11/12

mike79

On the Ice
Regardless of whether John or Jennifer are contacted by anyone, 19Entertainment or whatever it's called that runs AI still has first rights to signing any of the top 12.

I'm really concerned about the whole racism issue on this show, as well as Canadian Idol. Whether it is blatant, underlying, whatever the case there are arguments for either side of the debate. It reminds me of a girl on CI, Toya Alexis, who was the best singer, at least technically, on the show. She was voted out at position number 6 I think. There was a lot of outrage about that in Canada, and the issue of racism was raised at that time.

The whole Ruben/Clay thing is interesting. One can argue that racism really doesn't show up in the voting since Ruben won. And of course that brings us to this year with Latoya and Jennifer being booted prematurely. I really wish I knew what was going through the heads of voters. I just hope that things change next year to try and eliminate the whole popularity contest aspect of this show. I read an internet poll where around 90% of respondants feel that AI has lost its credibility.

On a side note I just want to address the whole Ruben lyrics thing. He's not the only one with suggestive lyrics-just check out the lyrics to Clay's Invisible. Pretty stalker like if you ask me. I'm not ripping him because of it, but we have to take everything into account when discussing this situation. Ruben sings R&B music, a genre that has a lot of suggestiveness in some lyrics. Does it bother me? Not at all. I'd rather listen to R&B, and Ruben, over Clay and pop music any day of the week. People like to throw it around that Ruben isn't as succesful as Clay. The only place where that is evident is album sales which were skewed to begin with because of those freak Claymates who bought copy after copy of Clay's album. When it comes to awards Ruben has been nominated for several more than Clay. Most artists prefer critical respect over album sales any day.

Whatever the case is, I stick by my opinion of Ruben and Clay being able to win this year's AI easily. So could Kelly Clarkson.

Sarahmistral--incredible post.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
stalking... yes I've had my issues with that song myself... however that was not where I was offended with Ruben... I was offended more with his "damn I'm sorry" every beat of "Sorry 2004" and his sexually explicit song -- not sure of the title... been a while since I read the lyrics. When I voted for Ruben I was voting for the soft R&B Ballad type singer... not a hip hop wannabe...

When I voted for Clay it was for many reasons... but I got all of that in his first album... again that's just my taste... but even 1% of those of us who voted for him that didn't like his album and didn't buy it could still be a significant number when most of us are also buying Clay's :laugh:

The only argument I heard of when Clay lost -- other than it was rigged -- was the small portion of Clay fans who believed Clay was lying when he said he wasn't gay... and people who didn't like gay people wouldn't vote for him. But that didn't go farther than the net as far as I know... and I also thought that to be a bunch of bunk. That's just me and my uneducated opinion though. I'm sure a whole term paper could be written about that too.

No one screamed foul when Justin lost because of race (though I wasn't really paying attention at the time maybe I'm wrong?) and I don't remember race being a factor with Tamyra -- I wouldn't have voted for her if I was watching that first season... she's ok but not the type of singer I'd listen to. Again I wasn't paying attention to the first season... I don't see how it could have been but whatever...

It's a possibility but if that's the case then Fantasia's next

personally I think Latoya had the same problem as Clay -- too many people voting for her... because there are very few people who've said otherwise... with Jazz getting sympathy votes(she's not white, why is she still in when John could have stayed??? Shall we also scream sexist? hmmmmm) and Diana getting a lot of votes for God knows what real reason... Fantasia and Latoya were bound to get in the bottom... whether wrong or right (of the two I'd have liked to see Fantasia go... but that's just my feelings LOL) it was probably bound to happen... but with Ryan's show saying Diana or Latoya would win her fans probably thought she was safe... I dunno... she's this year's Tamyra... much like everyone last year thought Trenyce was last year's (Josh deserves top 4, there I mentioned him in my post... JOSH RULES!)

anywho I'm rambling and I have to go... mom needs the computer...

Last edited:

Kara Bear

Final Flight
mike79 said:
It reminds me of a girl on CI, Toya Alexis, who was the best singer, at least technically, on the show. She was voted out at position number 6 I think. There was a lot of outrage about that in Canada, and the issue of racism was raised at that time.

For me, the reason I didn't like Toya was that she was already on one of these shows before, Pop Stars. She made it to the top 5 and got a record contract I believe, but it didn't turn out. I didn't think she should have been on Canadian Idol. If she got it that far on PopStars and ddn't "make it", she not going to make it.
I don't think it was racism at all.

Toni...is Clay gay? I'm confused!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I believe she meant to say that some people thought Clay was lying when he said he WASN'T gay.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
As far as I know Clay claims he's not gay. So I have no reason not to believe him.

Did I really get that confusing in my post last night? yikes! *goes to edit*