Queer Eye for the Skate Girl | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Queer Eye for the Skate Girl

berthes ghost

Final Flight
MK's Tosca costume did not go as well to that music than Irina's Tosca costume.
Interesting post soogar. Can you elaborate?

I only saw "Tosca" once in NYC, and the Diva wore a gown that looked remarkably like this: http://michellekwan.fateback.com/images/03-04/dell-03campbells-warmup-skating.jpg
After Nats, some people posted about how many times Tosca wore coral gowns, but other than the pictures they showed, I'd never seen any. This costume always looked very 50s Hollywood to me: http://michellekwan.fateback.com/images/03-04/04natslp-jadeff-pose2.jpg
I've seen a few pictures of Maria Callas in her famous role, but all the costumes looked empire in cut/style. http://www.tulane.edu/~jhouston/opera/tosca.jpg

I've never gotten any connection between these 3 costumes and the Opera: http://www.irina-slutskaya.com/costumes.htm Can you explain? I'm really interested.
http://images.google.be/images?q=tosca&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&start=0&sa=N

Last edited:
VIETgrlTerifa said:
What happened to the fanfiction section of Goldenskate? I thought Goldenskate has the best skating fics of all of skating because there weren't just teenage romance stuff, they were well-written (and I knew you wrote some too Mathman ;).)
???? Me? I didn't write any stories or poems.

I think that the way the board is configured now, a folder automatically disappears if no one posts to it for 30 days. Write something! I'll see if Paula wants to start it up again, if we get any submissions. It is the off-season, after all.

Mathman:)

soogar

Record Breaker
I thought Irina's costume went better with Tosca than MK's b/c that Tosca music is very heavy and dramatic and a dramatic costume seemed to fit better than MK's coral costume. I have never seen a performance of Tosca so I just think about what the music sounds like and whether the music is soft or hard. I like MK's coral costume, but I did not feel that it went with the Tosca music.

Costumes which I felt went very well with the music :
Tara's original Rainbow costume that everyone ripped on but I felt really emphasized how her limbs had grown over the summer. Considering that the piece of music was so light and energetic and that the backstory on it was that it was about a girl coming of age, the original rainbow costume really captured that feeling of youth and lightness. I did not like the blue costume she had used in the Olympics. It was bland and safe. I did like her dirndl that she had used in the SP and I am glad she had kept that.

MK's plain blue costume with Lyra Angelica. The first costume she had used in Skate America was too busy and looked like a Speedo swimsuit and totally clashed with such a soft piece of music. The new costume was perfect and really suited the music.

What I like about the European skaters is that I feel that they attempt to match their costumes with the sound of the music. I feel that heavy dramatic music such as Tosca really calls for a jagged costume such as Irina's verses a polished one such as MK's. Now if I was choosing a dress to wear to look pretty, I would pick MK's coral costume b/c it is pretty, however I think that if you're going to skate to music , the costume should match in addition to the movement.

One thing that surprises me is how American skaters have not embraced the glove phenomenon. Gloves don't really work in spotlights for shows (unless it would be a Mr. Cellophane number), but I think that they make more of a statement in a competitive arena. Gloves give such a polished look on the ice, especially with the lights in a competitive arena, and really stretch the skater's line.

Here's a photo that was posted on USFSA site as a bad costume but I really loved it:
http://www.scratchspin.com/2004/worlds04/dytrt1.html

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Considering that the piece of music was so light and energetic and that the backstory on it was that it was about a girl coming of age, the original rainbow costume really captured that feeling of youth and lightness.
Although I did think the pink costume did fit the energy and spiritedness of the music, I didn't think that dress (or the blue one) fit the backstory of the music. The backstory of "The Rainbow" is about a young Victorian girl who finds her sexual identity when she falls in love with her female P.E. teacher and a man. Her P.E. teacher ends up marrying the girl's uncle because that's the only way a woman in that era can get any social power. The man isn't as free-spirited as the girl thought he was and he ends up marrying another woman in India. She also wants to be a teacher at the same time, and has an idealogical idea about showing compassion to her poor-classed London students. However, that idea doesn't work because the students (one boy in particular) take advantage of her and literally abuse her while she is trying to be compassionate towards them. She had to end up doing what she was against doing...being stern and physically disiciplining them. So her idea of teaching is shattered.In the end the girl runs away looking for herself.

Yeah the story is about a girl coming to age, but it isn't as light or fun as it sounds.

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
Viet:
I didn't know the TRUE backstory of the music: just the backstory (the cliffnotes version) supplied by Sandra Bezic who choreographed the program.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
the original rainbow costume really captured that feeling of youth and lightness.
Although I did think the pink costume did fit the energy and spiritedness of the music, I didn't think that dress (or the blue one) fit the backstory of the music.
Not that it changes the point, but I just wanted to clarify that Tara's "rainbow" had 3 costumes.

At SA she wore a costume that had a dark blue bodice and skirt and pink sleeves and shoulders. The 2 colors were separated by rainbow stripes across the chest with some sequins.

At Laligue , she wore a costume that was totally pale pink.

At GPF, Nats & Oly she wore a costume that was exactly like the Lalique one, but dark blue. I wondered at the time if she just had it dyed.

soogar

Record Breaker
The original was my favorite: I thought both the pastel pink and royal blue were bland and uninspiring.

John King

Final Flight
Lady Skater's hair

I've always had the same complaint about Anjelika Krylova's hair:My fingers are not running through it!:cry:

viennese

Rinkside
1. What can be done to prevent wedgies?
Let them wear leggings and dark coloured tights instead of making the women and girls wear skirts and flesh coloured tights.

2. Dye jobs....why not experiment while you're young? But boy oh boy. The spotlight magnifies those grown-in roots.

3. "Richard [Callaghan] is just the Alfred Hitchcock of skating, every heroine must be blonde." -- too true. They all seem to be using Tippi Hedren's chignon, too.