What counts towards Worlds? | Golden Skate

What counts towards Worlds?

jrethorst

Rinkside
I had thought that the different countries' national events determined who skated at Worlds, but when watching Europeans a commentator said that Europeans counts too. So then Four Continents would as well? Does the Grand Prix?

John R.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I had thought that the different countries' national events determined who skated at Worlds, but when watching Europeans a commentator said that Europeans counts too. So then Four Continents would as well? Does the Grand Prix?

John R.

I think the commentator meant that Euros counted in the sense that you can achieve the minimum TES needed to attend Worlds. 4CC & the GP circuit as well as any other ISU event would count as well. You need to get a qualifying score first at an international event, then do well enough at Nationals for your country to want to send you. A skater's figure skating association will make the final decision of who does/n't get to go :)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
To expand on what satine94 said, some countries decide who to send to world in part based on how skaters do at Euros.

Also, the number of skaters who can go to world's from each country is decided based on placements the year before.

Violetti

On the Ice

John R.

In Finland they usually send the one who has the best season's best score.

waxel

Final Flight
Does anyone know how start orders are determined? Seeded or blind draw? I should know, but I just can't remember...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Does anyone know how start orders are determined? Seeded or blind draw? I should know, but I just can't remember...

See these posts for start orders in the SP:

Men: http://goldenskate.com/forum/showth...ram-March-27&p=1114975&viewfull=1#post1114975
Ladies: http://goldenskate.com/forum/showth...ram-March-26&p=1114972&viewfull=1#post1114972

Haven't done pairs or dance yet.

For the FS, it's random draw within each of the warmup groups based on placement after the SP.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
DANCE START ORDERS:

There will be 6 groups of 5, based on World Ranking
in random order based on draw ---- not order shown below!!

Sixth (Final) Group
Kaitlin WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN 1
Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA 3
Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA 5
Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA 6
Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON FRA 8

Fifth Group
Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN 9
Nelli ZHIGANSHINA / Alexander GAZSI GER 11
Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI ITA 12
Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA 13
Alexandra PAUL / Mitchell ISLAM CAN 14

Fourth Group
Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN RUS 16
Ksenia MONKO / Kirill KHALIAVIN RUS 17
Sara HURTADO / Adria DIAZ ESP 19
Alexandra NAZAROVA / Maxim NIKITIN UKR 23
Cathy REED / Chris REED JPN 24

First through Third Groups:
Federica TESTA / Lukas CSOLLEY SVK 25
Rebeka KIM / Kirill MINOV KOR 28
Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIU CHN 30
Elena ILINYKH / Ruslan ZHIGANSHIN RUS 35
Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN DEN 36
Alisa AGAFONOVA / Alper UCAR TUR 38
Irina SHTORK / Taavi RAND EST 39
Carolina MOSCHENI / Adam LUKACS HUN 42
Viktoria KAVALIOVA / Yurii BIELIAIEV BLR 44
Olivia SMART / Joseph BUCKLAND GBR 49
Allison REED / Vasili ROGOV ISR 57
Barbora SILNA / Juri KURAKIN AUT 61
Natalia KALISZEK / Maksim SPODIREV POL 65
Cecilia TÖRN / Jussiville PARTANEN FIN 85
Olga JAKUSHINA / Andrey NEVSKIY LAT 103

PAIRS START ORDERS

There will be five groups, with 3 in the first group and 4 in the other four groups,
based on World Ranking
in random order based on draw ---- not order shown below!!

Fifth and Final Group
Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD CAN 2
Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG CHN 4
Qing PANG / Jian TONG CHN 5
Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIM USA 6

Fourth Group
Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN CHN 7
Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV RUS 8
Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER USA 9
Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV RUS 10

Third Group
Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES FRA 11
Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE ITA 12
plus two drawn at random from the remaining pairs.

First and Second Groups (less those two drawn at random for Group 3):
Mari VARTMANN / Aaron VAN CLEAVE GER 14
Miriam ZIEGLER / Severin KIEFER AUT 17
Julianne SEGUIN / Charlie BILODEAU CAN 24
Narumi TAKAHASHI / Ryuichi KIHARA JPN 26
Amani FANCY / Christopher BOYADJI GBR 28
Valentina MARCHEI / Ondrej HOTAREK ITA 37
Maria PALIAKOVA / Nikita BOCHKOV BLR 38
Kristina ASTAKHOVA / Alexei ROGONOV RUS 47
Lubov ILIUSHECHKINA / Dylan MOSCOVITCH CAN 51

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

John R.

I think you're mixing a multitude of things up here.

How a country determines who goes to Worlds is different according to each country. For example, the US uses their Nationals results, but the Russians are more likely to use their skaters' Euros results to pick the World team.

However, skaters must earn a minimum Technical Element Score (TES) before they can go to Worlds. So, even if a skater was National champion, if they didn't have the TES, they couldn't go. The TES can be earned at certain Senior Bs, GPs, 4CCs, Euros and even Junior Worlds, and is good for two years. Nationals don't count towards ISU scores because of the general inflation that goes on there.

Sackie

Medalist
Canada has used 4CC before when a higher ranked skater doesn't do too well at Nationals. They will send them and the one who beat them to 4CC and the one who comes out on top gets the nod. It is a way of giving the higher ranked skater a second chance.
They did it a few years ago when Lacoste won Nationals over Phaneuf. They were giving Phaneuf a chance to redeem herself but it didn't work and Lacoste came out on top at 4CC and therefore got sent to worlds.
I am sure if Maillet had by some fluke won Nationals this year they would have gone this route again.